U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM

5,502 posts, read 4,522,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmework View Post
My dreams used to be - I will innovate and create something useful to society. I graduated with a Mechanical Engineer and realized you can't innovate with no capital. You can only work with the already established companies in defense (war), oil and gas, or biotech. If you are lucky enough, a small engineering program might pick you up but good luck finding a job in that economy. Seems like most things are "engineered" to break right after the warranty expires.

My dream changed to getting a stable engineering job that can buy me a house in a decade, support my family, and send my kids to college. Still no job and now my dream is to get any minimum wage job to feed myself and not go homeless.
Geez, I can relate... another mechanical engineer here who wonders why he wasted his time in a career based upon creating new and useful things in a world that values greed and stupidity. Sure, it's what I wanted to do and it was supposed to be a good career choice - too bad we don't build much of anything in this nation anymore. ME's jobs are rare these days, and you often need very narrow experience to even get an entry level job... and heaven help you if you're older and not fresh out of college, yet stuck trying to change industries because the previous one died. You'll be lucky to even get an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 AM

15,598 posts, read 8,009,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow. Not achieving my dreams? Why would I let that happen ever? Who is keeping you from achieving your dreams? Last I checked no one will hand you what you want. You need to go take it for yourself.
Lots of dreams are unobtainable for most people. Depending on your dreams, many require way too much luck, opportunity, and a very specific personality to achieve.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 PM

460 posts, read 956,305 times
I haven't realized it yet - I've not got to do what I wanted to do or set out to do many times. I'm not where I want to be. I get discouraged, BUT I just don't think I have it in me to give up. I just keep working on something else :-) I'm stubborn that way.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 PM

14,827 posts, read 23,627,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
If it was so easy everyone would do it
Easy to achieve? What fun would that be? Who ever said it was going to be easy? Is it easy to maintain the perfect weight? Is it easy to get a Masters or Phd? Is it easy to raise a family of 6 kids and see them off to achieving their goals? Is it easy to run for office? Is it easy to start a business? My brother is on tour right now. He is 48 years old and has wanted to be a professional musician since he was maybe 14 years old. He never gave up on his dream and now has an album out and has been on tour all year. Was it easy for him? Not hardly.

I had the opportunity to meet Peter Vidmar back in1986. He had won 3 gold medels in the 1984 Olympics for Gymnastics. He said back then that he would start training 15 minutes before everyone else and stay 15 minutes after everyone else left. He did that for years. When he won the gold it was based on a score that was fractions of a differance between him and the silver winner. He credits that extra bit of practice for getting him to the place he needed to be to win.

It just doesn't seem like anything that is worth doing is easy now does it. If it was easy then why would you want to do it?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Lots of dreams are unobtainable for most people. Depending on your dreams, many require way too much luck, opportunity, and a very specific personality to achieve.
The definition of luck: When preperation meets opportunity

If you want your dreams to happen then you need to work for them. It is not an easy thing to do. Nothing that is worth doing is easy to do. You have been given everything that you need to achieve your goals.

Most people don't realize this and are not willing to put in the time to get what they want. My parents were poor and had little more than a 3 bedroom 2 bath home and 8 kids. I was the 2nd of 8 kids. I realized one thing, if I wanted something I would have to get it myself. I have done that to this day. It is more fun than waiting for some mystical luck to come your way. Make your own luck. If you can't get what you want find out what is keeping you from getting what you want and find out how to overcome that.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,071,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Easy to achieve? What fun would that be? Who ever said it was going to be easy? Is it easy to maintain the perfect weight? Is it easy to get a Masters or Phd? Is it easy to raise a family of 6 kids and see them off to achieving their goals? Is it easy to run for office? Is it easy to start a business? My brother is on tour right now. He is 48 years old and has wanted to be a professional musician since he was maybe 14 years old. He never gave up on his dream and now has an album out and has been on tour all year. Was it easy for him? Not hardly.

I had the opportunity to meet Peter Vidmar back in1986. He had won 3 gold medels in the 1984 Olympics for Gymnastics. He said back then that he would start training 15 minutes before everyone else and stay 15 minutes after everyone else left. He did that for years. When he won the gold it was based on a score that was fractions of a differance between him and the silver winner. He credits that extra bit of practice for getting him to the place he needed to be to win.

It just doesn't seem like anything that is worth doing is easy now does it. If it was easy then why would you want to do it?
i don't think you understood what i meant

Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i don't think you understood what i meant
What do you mean then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment