U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,615,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Everybody I went to school with and all of my cousins.
The average at better schools is around five years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM

4,969 posts, read 5,751,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
At what age did you realize you are not going to get to be what you wanted to be when you grow up? whether because of the economy or not the right connections?

(I don't mean like being a movie star or rock star)
What do you want to be when you grow up? I supposed I could look through your posts, but that would be time consuming, so I thought I would ask you directy?

Judging by your username, I might guess that you wanted to be/want to be an artist?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,664,764 times
I was 24 and I sort of fell into the investment field. Stayed in and got tons of extra education. Wish I'd never gotten into this industry. Worst decision ever and now I'm 43 and its too late.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM

2,000 posts, read 2,709,808 times
Well, are you asking for the real hopes and dreams?

I mean I spent a fair amount of time like most young people I assume wanting to be a lawyer, a doctor, an Indian Jones, a writer, etc.

Then when I got into high school my dreams become less specific on "job" and more on lifestyle that I wanted.

1. Be secure from poverty or even lower middle class lifestyle
2. Have career progression with challenges
3. Enjoy my work
4. Be able to learn something all the time at work (aka not a rote job)
5. Be able to afford a lifestyle that allows me flexibility but also is able to be supported by my one income
6. Be able to afford my hobbies (at the time horses)
7. Be able to work internationally
8. Be able to live internationally again.

I have hit all of those things except 8-- I was close last year.

I spent a lot of time just roving and working low paid generic rote admin jobs.

I turned to accounting as a major taking well over the normal 4 years to finish college (lots of reasons there). I never decided to go into the actual accountant path-- that was too... boring for me. But I leveraged the accounting to understand financial decision making.

Ended up in the HRIS industry by mistake but found tons of opportunities that allow me to do my interests: analysis, change management, business process re-engineering, project management, etc.

When I graduate from business school-- I am planning to move into more of internal business consulting aka working for a corporation in their business consulting group, etc since I prefer working on projects, fixing broke problems, and not being engaged daily in day to day operations. I am entertaining interviews with manufacturing firms, health care firms, insurance firms, consulting firms, etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM

5,507 posts, read 5,615,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Between 21 and 22, when I found out I have an illness that will always hand cuff me, and when I found out my degree is not remotely as employable as it was pimped to be, and I ended up taking a temp job for $10 an hour when I graduated college, and never received that "50k offer" I was supposed to get (hell, I STILL havent had a 50k offer, 8 years later).
This sums up all of your posts very well. You expected to be handed a 50k job once you graduated college.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM

755 posts, read 669,105 times
At about 20 I realized I didn't have the emotional strength (very, very bad childhood) to go to medical school and become a doctor. By the time I felt healed from most of it, I had different priorities.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM

755 posts, read 669,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
This sums up all of your posts very well. You expected to be handed a 50k job once you graduated college.
Well, a teacher in Houston is "handed" a salary of about $45,000 right out of college. There are jobs where certain pay is standard and not getting that pay would be out of the ordinary. Does a teacher in this situation appear to be entitled???? Or do they know what they are worth?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM

5,517 posts, read 5,521,081 times
Quote:
You expected to be handed a 50k job once you graduated college.

Absolutely. All of the propoganda led me to believe the average college grad with my degree should expect that, and have a low rate of unemployment to boot.

Here is some of that propagana right here

Starting salary offers for college graduates rise 3.5% - Feb. 10, 2011

Stating that finance majors in 2011 were getting paid an average of 50k ( I think it was in the high 40's when I graduated), while accountants got 49k. (After working in both fields for years, I have never made 49k.)

Not only did I not get that, I didnt get any job, at ANY rate of pay, not an AR clerk, not a dishwasher, not an assistant manager at a retail store. I wound up going to a temp agency getting a job that had absolutely nothing to do with my degree or field.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 2,699,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
Believe it or not, I always wanted to be a truck driver, and that's just what I am.

By the way, I thought a bachelors degree was supposed to be 4 years. Why does it take people 8 years to get a bachelors degree these days? I'm just curious, not trying to sound like an ***hole.
my brother is truck driver.. i finished my bachelors in 4 years to start my career on time, but since it never started i could have just stayed in college, at least i would be doing something. but i now say stay in as long as you can afford it because there is no jobs out here

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Age 19, When I found myself on my own quickly having to pay rent and for college. Worked 2 jobs also. I actually wanted to be a teacher back then. I found myself always having to work to keep a roof over my head. Funny part is due to a skyrocketing rent situation I found myself displaced and having to live in a rundown motel for a week. Between everything I could not go beyond 2 years in college I wound up in retail, And then the hotel business where I am now. It actually is a good job and interesting as well esp being in NYC. Had some real hard years though.

Life is what happens when you make other plans.
i liked that quote.. i once lived in nyc.. does a hotel pay enough to be okay in nyc? or just scraping by? my cousin lives there too with a director job in the govt and he is just scraping by..then again it may be student loan debt making that so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I learned at around 22-23, it was going to be extremely difficult to reach my dreams. No one reaches their dreams without some kind of support somewhere. However, I kept plugging along.

When I reached 30, I realized it probably just wasn't going to happen...which, sucks.
what was your dream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
What do you want to be when you grow up? I supposed I could look through your posts, but that would be time consuming, so I thought I would ask you directy?

Judging by your username, I might guess that you wanted to be/want to be an artist?
oh not really an artist. i would like to work in a creative field, don't realy care what it is, long as its creative. i have a degree in marketing, i would like to actually use it or something near it

Quote:
from birth you are told go to college and you are going to make at least 40k when you start, and i suppose for a short while before 2007/8 that was the truth, but that is no longer. if we were going to go to college and waste our time and money to get paid 20k-30k your whole lives then what was the point? however i don't really care about money i just care about the job but alot of people are expecting what they have been force feed their whole lives.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,035,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Life is what happens when you make other plans.
Yes, that, and if you are even somewhat religious, there's the expression "Want to make God laugh? Tell Him your plans."

I figured it out in my mid-20s. I took a job offer in Atlanta. I loved Atlanta and wish I had never left, but I went to grad school and initially moved to the PNW. Thought "hey, it would be easier for an Angeleno to live in the PNW...same coast, you know." HA! It's easier for an Angeleno to live in Atlanta. Much more similar and upbeat vibe.

At any rate, I joined up with a fairly reputable company in ATL. What I found is that you couldn't maneuver your career through there a) in a way you might like, and b) in a manner that makes the best use of your skills. Some of the names of potential departments where one could be transferred were frightening, as in needing to keep an IV of stimulants going to stay awake. Befriended a New Yorker who had an MBA from Emory (there in Atlanta) who said that "(name of company) offers job security and not career security." She hit the nail on the head. We both moved on.

There are some people here on CD who offer generic "feel good" messages about life and how what happens is based on your choices. There's a lot of truth to that. There's also a lot of "unknown" in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment