U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,382,137 times

Advertisements

I was going to be a veterinarian and a writer, kind of like James Herriot. I'm a writer, not a vet. I'm only 34, though, so who knows? There's still time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,313,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
People thought that's how it worked. Buy degree, buy 50K job. Nope, nothing has to happen in between that or anything... Hence, rising tuition rates and bigger lines of people waiting to buy 50K jobs. Supply creates demand, or that's how it works it seems... All the degree does is get's you a spot at the auction.

And the problem is that the auctions are shrinking, in both number and value, and the bidders and entry fees are rising.

The media is constantly slathering everyone with how "great youll do with this degree or that". I think some actual truth needs to be published somewhere.

I dont even know if it exists, but If it doesnt, Id love to make a company that buys lists of graduates from the top 500 schools from the past 3 years, sends out surveys, and publishes exactly what sector, by what degree, and by what salary grads are actually making.

Anyone down to drop some venture capital? Im sure its going to cost millions to buy those lists.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,877,310 times
When I was a teeenager.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 AM

10,576 posts, read 9,527,724 times
About 50 years of age - I realized that the supposed opportunity that existed was limited to non-existent. I came to the realization that people where overly competitive and were cut throat and would do what ever it takes to get ahead- Lie - cheat - steal - con- commit fraud ...bring harm to others on mass- also that there was no real democracy or real justice system.

Put bluntly- I totally lost faith in the system and figured out "what's the point?"-----------no only did I quit trying..I* quit believing in humanity when it comes to money and status-------------------My only regret was that I was trusting as a young person- IF I would have known the world was so corrupt..I would have taken the money by hook or by crook- made a bundle and abandoned the whole stupid game.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 AM

10,576 posts, read 9,527,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiSW View Post
21! I graduated in December and still can't find a job, despite my bachelors and experience. Thanks to the economy I feel like a failure:-)
You are not a failure. The world around you is a failure. Never take the blame for something that you did not do. I remember going into the local court house back in about 1966...lawyers would walk about talking to the kids that were their out of sheer mischief...They would approach a kid and whisper in their ear..."plead guilty- they will go easier on you" - I wonder how many innocent kids got criminal records for accepting responsibility for something they were not responsible for?

NEVER- say you are a failure- and never plead guilty just to please the sytem..hold your ground- Your dignity is all you have.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,079,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
When I was a teeenager.
What happened back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
About 50 years of age - I realized that the supposed opportunity that existed was limited to non-existent. I came to the realization that people where overly competitive and were cut throat and would do what ever it takes to get ahead- Lie - cheat - steal - con- commit fraud ...bring harm to others on mass- also that there was no real democracy or real justice system.

Put bluntly- I totally lost faith in the system and figured out "what's the point?"-----------no only did I quit trying..I* quit believing in humanity when it comes to money and status-------------------My only regret was that I was trusting as a young person- IF I would have known the world was so corrupt..I would have taken the money by hook or by crook- made a bundle and abandoned the whole stupid game.
i just realized this a couple months ago. you are my new best friend

Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,079,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I was 19 and bartending in South Beach.

I wanted to be a journalist and travel to the most messed up places and war zones to see everything for myself first hand.

Until I met a handful of people with BA degrees in Journalism who told me they couldn't live off of their salaries and are now cocktail waitresses.

There are a few degrees that seem to pop-up behind the bar or waiting tables at restaurants: education, journalism, nutrition, aquatics, film, and a few culinary school folks who don't want to make $10/hour after graduating from Johnson and Wales. I met one bartender who had a BA in Dance from a major university, she wasn't the brightest bulb that's for sure.
education? isn't that like a made job as long as they need teachers? idk my whole family are teachers and principals so i figured it was easy.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,940,129 times
22 after graduating from college. A degree in English Literature is not a real degree! People who got the jobs I would have loved "knew someone." My dreams have now turned into hobbies that I do on the weekend. I keep my fingers crossed that at some point I'll make enough friends and become skilled enough at my hobbies that I can find at least a part-time job in retirment that I'll love.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:05 PM

5,507 posts, read 8,527,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
And the problem is that the auctions are shrinking, in both number and value, and the bidders and entry fees are rising.

The media is constantly slathering everyone with how "great youll do with this degree or that". I think some actual truth needs to be published somewhere.

I dont even know if it exists, but If it doesnt, Id love to make a company that buys lists of graduates from the top 500 schools from the past 3 years, sends out surveys, and publishes exactly what sector, by what degree, and by what salary grads are actually making.

Anyone down to drop some venture capital? Im sure its going to cost millions to buy those lists.
It shrinks no matter what your education level in a recsession.

The articles have real data it just so happens many people read them and don't realize they aren't as smart or talented as the ones in the article getting those jobs.

It's on you personally if you think you are going to graduate and get a nice 50k job when that is the median income for a middle aged college graduate.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,055,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Between 21 and 22, when I found out I have an illness that will always hand cuff me, and when I found out my degree is not remotely as employable as it was pimped to be, and I ended up taking a temp job for $10 an hour when I graduated college, and never received that "50k offer" I was supposed to get (hell, I STILL havent had a 50k offer, 8 years later).
What illness would this be? It seems to not have hampered your ability to get accepted and graduate from college but it really has interfered with your ability to work. I really don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment