Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I dont know what it is, its foiled nearly 20 doctors of differing specialties.

And, it actually grossly interfered with me graduating from college. I lost practically a whole point on my GPA from the middle of my junior year until I graduated because I was in some doctor appointment, test, or extremely ill constantly. I even worked out with a deal with one professor to only show up for classes on test days (this was long before the online class phenomenon). I didnt get sick until into my junior year, so, it didnt effect me getting accepted at all.

It was a little bit easier in school though, I lived like 10 minutes away, and I could set up my classes so that it was like working a part time job. What was really a hassle was ALSO trying to work 40 hours a week on top of that, which I eventually couldnt manage part way through the second half of my senior year.
Not all of us are born "perfect".. a lot of us have limitations, but it's still not excuse. I have mild ADHD and Asperger.. did I ever blame that? What about the countless others with ADHD and are still successful?

Definitely watch this the first thing out of bed every morning for the next month :

Motivation - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Not all of us are born "perfect".. a lot of us have limitations, but it's still not excuse. I have mild ADHD and Asperger.. did I ever blame that? What about the countless others with ADHD and are still successful?

Definitely watch this the first thing out of bed every morning for the next month :

Motivation - YouTube
But he's ill! He may not be physically able to pursue things but im sure he wants to

Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
At 34 I think I have come to realize that I do have some limitations that will make achieving success even more difficult.

And it sucks!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
What happened back then?

i just realized this a couple months ago. you are my new best friend
GOOD to have a friend...Don't want to sound like a negative jerk- but I have lost all faith in human systems- the religious one- the money system ...the political one- Humans for the most part are just a touch brighter than monkeys...It's heartbreaking when you realize that humanity is hopeless and is doomed to stumble about for the next thousand years- I feel like a damned space man who miscalculated and hit the wrong planet------------ACTUALLY to tell the truth..It is as if I am on my home planet and it has been infested and invaded by vermin....bitter? Not really-

Just awake and highly observant...I take back the monkey comment- that would be an insult to apes.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
At 34 I think I have come to realize that I do have some limitations that will make achieving success even more difficult.

And it sucks!
Limitations are like an inflicted wound.-It's the environment and the system that has limitations- a human being has none.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM

In ancient times if you had ADHD- You would have been a tribal leader and made the people prosper..now if you have the ability to omni-focus and great surges of energy they want to shut you down- The corporate world does not want the exceptional..they want the mediocre - they need dull people to make the wheels turn.

It bothers me when they take great and exceptional kids and adults and want to bring them down to the level of average..Our educational system is not made to deal with those capable of greatness..it is capable of stunting - frustrating and instilling self doubt in the exceptional...As John Wayne wrote to Barbara Walters in the old days "Don't let the bastards get you down"

Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
Age 8: archaeologist
Age 12: detective
Age 18: meteorologist
Age 19: I discover sad limits to my mathematical and physics capabilities, failing to grasp concepts and prove my work on paper, even with the help of a tutor nicknamed "top quark" (no joke).
Age 20: I switch to journalism. Game over.

Here I am, at age 35, still working in TV journalism. I'm single, childless, of little value to anyone, a failure at advancing my career, too nice, too socially inept, and just about ready to "mail it in" for the rest of my life. It is a curse to be a serial daydreamer with minimal talent to chase those dreams.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
GOOD to have a friend...Don't want to sound like a negative jerk- but I have lost all faith in human systems- the religious one- the money system ...the political one- Humans for the most part are just a touch brighter than monkeys...It's heartbreaking when you realize that humanity is hopeless and is doomed to stumble about for the next thousand years- I feel like a damned space man who miscalculated and hit the wrong planet------------ACTUALLY to tell the truth..It is as if I am on my home planet and it has been infested and invaded by vermin....bitter? Not really-

Just awake and highly observant...I take back the monkey comment- that would be an insult to apes.
I agree with you sir! The last year has been a rude awakening
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Age 8: archaeologist
Age 12: detective
Age 18: meteorologist
Age 19: I discover sad limits to my mathematical and physics capabilities, failing to grasp concepts and prove my work on paper, even with the help of a tutor nicknamed "top quark" (no joke).
Age 20: I switch to journalism. Game over.

Here I am, at age 35, still working in TV journalism. I'm single, childless, of little value to anyone, a failure at advancing my career, too nice, too socially inept, and just about ready to "mail it in" for the rest of my life. It is a curse to be a serial daydreamer with minimal talent to chase those dreams.
Can I see you on tv? Do you at least like your job minus those things

Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Being smart does equate to being paid well. Just look at average salaries by university.
You just said this

"as smart or talented as the ones in the article getting those jobs"

Which, correct me if Im wrong, is insinuating that "smarter more talented people" get the good jobs.

Thats not the case at all.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
For someone who claims to be so smart, why did you misspell intelligence not once, but twice? Sorry, your posts make you appear rather average.
Because I could care less about typos and grammatical errors in a conversational post on the internet where the importance is the content? Did you notice I also hardly ever use apostrophes, and sometimes interchange homophones? Ill give you those two for free! Better sound the alarm!

By the way, what makes you think I could care less about the opinion of a person who has no comprehension of how intellegence is measured in standardized form, and is attempting to equivalate spelling errors to that measurement.

I've had more then enough tests proving where I sit amongst the general populace, from people far more qualified to make those calls then you. So, scamper back to the factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment