Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM

30 posts, read 64,076 times

Advertisements

21! I graduated in December and still can't find a job, despite my bachelors and experience. Thanks to the economy I feel like a failure:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 PM

247 posts, read 751,128 times
In grad school I had a 4.0 with a finance degree, studied abroad in several countries, had experience in banking, & thought I had the whole world ahead of me. Then I graduated into the financial ruin that was the financial market collapse. I ended up unemployed for months, having to move in with family, & wondering what was wrong with me and where I went wrong. I was competing for jobs against people who'd been working as long as I'd been alive. I was over-educated for peon jobs and under-experienced for the 'entry' jobs.
I eventually got a job that paid 1/3 of what all those PR articles say you'll earn with the degree. I was severely pissed off for a few years but I slowly started to accept it as the way the world is now. I'm glad I have a job. I gave up hopes, dreams, & money and settled for stability, ease, & low pay. After living in the real world "post-college" this situation seems lucky in such uncertain times. But, I still hold a grudge deep down. I would like to have graduated 3-4 years earlier so I could start low and move up before the big meltdown. Oh well! "Life is not what gets you down, it's the picture in your head of how you think it should be"

My generation will not live as long, earn as much, or own as much as the generations before and that is sad. It's depressing. But, I suppose someone has to pay for all the greed.

Last edited by Coach_B; 05-21-2012 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
It's amazing what people take away from these articles. The average wage for a full time worker with a bachelors over the age of 25 is 50k. Some of you thought you would graduate and just be handed a job that STARTED at 50k?

It sounds like poor research and not realizing the best talent could start at these rates for top companies.

Last edited by Gatornation; 05-21-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It's amazing what people on life from these articles. The average wage for a full time worker over the age of 25 is 50k. Some of you thought you would graduate and just be handed a job that STARTED at 50k?

It sounds like poor research and not realizing the best talent could start at these rates for top companies.
People thought that's how it worked. Buy degree, buy 50K job. Nope, nothing has to happen in between that or anything... Hence, rising tuition rates and bigger lines of people waiting to buy 50K jobs. Supply creates demand, or that's how it works it seems... All the degree does is get's you a spot at the auction.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM

428 posts, read 900,335 times
Its weird I went from a sociology major and social work minor that I almost finished but after my mom died I just didnt want to go back to school. I got my job at financial insitution worked my way thru different departments.... Some how the girl who wanted to save the world and everyone in it wound up working 10 years at a bank doing customer service, research and sales support. Go figure.. So I guess 24 is when life kinda happened... Since leaving the bank because it got bought out Ive had other jobs mostly customer service, logisitics, and now Accounting Assistant so I never really went back to that.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,487 times
Exclamation well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
At what age did you realize you are not going to get to be what you wanted to be when you grow up? whether because of the economy or not the right connections?

(I don't mean like being a movie star or rock star)
I haven't realized that yet...hope I never do.
K

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 PM

707 posts, read 686,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
At what age did you realize you are not going to get to be what you wanted to be when you grow up? whether because of the economy or not the right connections?

(I don't mean like being a movie star or rock star)
I actually started doing things that I never imagined doing. I went back to college, quite a few years ago, at 31 and have enjoyed my career ever since.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
I was 19 and bartending in South Beach.

I wanted to be a journalist and travel to the most messed up places and war zones to see everything for myself first hand.

Until I met a handful of people with BA degrees in Journalism who told me they couldn't live off of their salaries and are now cocktail waitresses.

There are a few degrees that seem to pop-up behind the bar or waiting tables at restaurants: education, journalism, nutrition, aquatics, film, and a few culinary school folks who don't want to make $10/hour after graduating from Johnson and Wales. I met one bartender who had a BA in Dance from a major university, she wasn't the brightest bulb that's for sure.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 AM

130 posts, read 253,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiSW View Post
21! I graduated in December and still can't find a job, despite my bachelors and experience. Thanks to the economy I feel like a failure:-)
I finished school at the age of 20, and still in the same boat. I get "jobs" but they are always temp or part time. I just really want that full time position.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
Default At what age did you realize...?

Excuses.

There is always a way to skin a cat.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment