Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,700,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I am honestly sickened by people like you, the op, bobtn, and all the others that toe the company line and fight against your fellow workers. This is why unions are going to have to make a return so employers cannot abuse and maltreat their employees. This isn't a damn charity. These people have a right to know what their job will entail. You are not doing them any damn favors with the job. It is a labor contract and it is mutual. Deal with it!

This whole post represents the modern attitude of employers towards their employees as job overlords.
Broadbrushing only leads to embarassment for yourself.

I'm easily on of the most liberal people on this board (to the point where I probably annoy some members with it). The LAST thing I would do if tout for a business when they're wrong. If it were up to me, th USA economically would be more like Germany or Canada.

But I'm not the only one in this country. I must share it with folks who feel differently, quite likely out-numbering me. They're doing everything to preserve the status quo, and thus I can't do anything to change what's happning.

What's happening with the economy is reality. I just have to accept it as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:48 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,382,082 times
Whatever happened to employers that actually cared about their employees? Maybe there's your answer.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM

977 posts, read 1,811,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Whatever happened to employers that actually cared about their employees? Maybe there's your answer.
Indeed. Let's see, much less employment stability, decreasing and vanishing pensions, no required statutory vacation time, cutbacks in health benefits, having to pay an ever increasing share of health insurance costs. And a prospective employee who merely asks what the hours are gets bashed as a lazy SOB.

Seems to me it's the employers who feel entitled to perfect employees and company stooges. The OP is a perfect example of this.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 AM

841 posts, read 1,913,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Seems to me it's the employers who feel entitled to perfect employees and company stooges. The OP is a perfect example of this.

The winning answer.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,906,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I am honestly sickened by people like you, the op, bobtn, and all the others that toe the company line and fight against your fellow workers. Deal with it!

And employers have the right to deep six their chances. Deal with it!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Riddle me this......are you getting paid any more then the workers you are bashing because your "customers love you"? No, your company is reaping the rewards of that.

There is absolutely no motivation to do any more then the minimum.
Are you a millennial?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,169,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Are you a millennial?
How would you define a millennial, since Ive seen it defined multiple ways. If you use 1982, I am generation X.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,169,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you disagree that a production worker who goes above and beyond the minimum gets a higher raise than the person who does not?

For people who hold the same position, the more motivated and harder working person gets a raise that is a few % higher every year than the person who just does the minimum. I can guarantee that.
I have always been one of the most productive employees at every job Ive had. In most cases the only thing I got was more work. At one job, apparently my efficiency led them to believe that my job was simple and I could be replaced, since I got laid off.

The only exception to that is when I worked at a sub shop, where I actually ended up getting promoted in to a supervisor position. However, the added responsibility was clearly not worth the .25 more an hour I got for a raise, and I would have rather been doing alot less, for .25 less an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It really depends on the position. If there is a lot of demand for that position and there are low barriers to entry (ex. it only takes a week to train someone new vs. six months), then pay as low of a wage as you can get away with so you can allocate more money to more value-added channels.
I think the big problem "suit types" cant comprehend is the measurement of the value of front line employees. They think that because the job is relatively low skilled, and can be quickly trained, that the position has little to no value, and hiring a complete waste of space to fill the void is worth it because money could be better spent somewhere else.

Guess what, that "warm body", who could care less about his job, is busy losing hundreds of customers and destroying high priced equipment.

I wonder, at the end of the day, what costs more, that, or paying him a few bucks more an hour.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,488,751 times
They are valid questions but he asked them in a horrible way.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,515,195 times
They all died from working too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment