U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,223 times
Default at will part time employment ended - my decision to leave

this is my first time posting; hope i'm not asking a question that's already been answered ... i did a search, but didn't find my exact situation.

i've been working at a part time position for 6 months, reporting my earnings to edd. i've been looking for full time employment the entire time. last week i was told i'd made a mistake, was written up, and would be on probation for 30 days, with the possibility of being terminated. the mistake was unintentional (not having a caller on hold and caller heard boss complaining) ... i don't know how it happened and wrote that on the form they had me sign acknowledging my mistake.

since i wasn't happy at the job and had been talked to several times about my difficulty "multi-tasking," i asked them to just cut me loose. my supervisor said they were an at will employer and i could leave if i wanted rather than staying 2 weeks while i found something else (and they found a replacement). i told them i'd rather leave at the end of my shift that day. now, filling out my continued claim form, i'm unsure what to put in the "reason no longer working" section, not wanting to mess up my claim. i wanted to put "job ended" but that's not the whole reason.

help, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM

12,057 posts, read 9,903,641 times
Sounds like the way you left your employer could just say you resigned. In that case good luck continuing your claim. The only thing you can do is put job ended. However at this point, it all depends on what your employer tells EDD.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM

565 posts, read 559,016 times
what's your question? i worked for EDD for about a year as a software developer in the unemployment insurance project. I don't think you will get unemployment insurance for this if the the employer says you quit the job yourself.

The problem is they only put you on
Quote:
probation for 30 days, with the possibility of being terminated.
They never said you they will fire you after 30 days. Part time and contractor jobs are the problem also.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
what's your question? i worked for EDD for about a year as a software developer in the unemployment insurance project. I don't think you will get unemployment insurance for this if the the employer says you quit the job yourself.
i am already collecting unemployment benefits ... my claim expires 6/23/12. i'm not sure what to say on the continued claim form regarding "reason no longer working" (section 6 of the form) ... if i say "position ended," that's not totally true. if i say "left to find full time employment," that's true, but not exactly what happened because i would have stayed until i found another job.

i don't want to put the wrong answer down ("quit") if there's a different way of saying it ... because that might terminate benefits i have left on my claim.

Last edited by minicooper3; 05-22-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 12:37 PM

565 posts, read 559,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper3 View Post
i am already collecting unemployment benefits ... my claim expires 6/23/12. i'm not sure what to say on the continued claim form regarding "reason no longer working" (section 6 of the form) ... if i say "position ended," that's not totally true. if i say "left to find full time employment," that's true, but not exactly what happened because i would have stayed until i found another job.

i don't to put the wrong answer down ("quit") if there's a different way of saying it ... because that might terminate benefits i have left on my claim.

you can just don't answer the question. or put something like this "conflict with employer", "Forced to Quit"
Told them that you didn't do any wrong.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,246,243 times
Get a temp assignment. You should be able to file after that one ends.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
you can just don't answer the question. or put something like this "conflict with employer", "Forced to Quit"
Told them that you didn't do any wrong.
i know from past experience that if you don't put in anything under reason no longer working ... edd sends you another form requesting answer, they don't pay benefits unless form is completed.

i'm wondering if "left position for another part time job" would be an acceptable answer.

main thing is that i don't want to be without benefits before i find another job.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

The problem is they only put you on

They never said you they will fire you after 30 days. Part time and contractor jobs are the problem also.
the thought of being on probation for 30 days ... at a job where both the employer and i were not happy with my performance ... that was unacceptable to me.

maybe beggers can't be choosers. i hope that's not the case.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:52 PM

8,305 posts, read 9,760,318 times
I always thought if you voluntary quit your job you cant get unemployment unless you can prove you were in a hostile setting. I may be wrong though.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM

810 posts, read 717,501 times
You may want to try with the "forced to resign" but be careful, the edd doesnt mess around with things and you do not want to lie in case your previous employer contests your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment