Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:01 AM

130 posts, read 253,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
10-11 per hour really is a reasonable place to start. I know it is not what you want to be making, but the reality is that the higher paying jobs will be taken by people with not only the degree but the practical experience to back it up. And I know mentioned working for the government, but outside of that arena, a lot of people have the image of people who work for the government doing absolutely nothing at work. Fair? No. But the perception is if you can get a job with the government, you don't have to do a good job to keep it.

So, sorry I am not able to be more encouraging, but right out of college "entry level" really is reasonable. Especially now. When you started college the job you are looking for existed. Now? Employers have tons of applicants for every job. They will pick the most experience for the least pay.
The sad part now is that I am use to making 16 plus an hour, and the San Antonio area really has low wages, and not even enough jobs that require degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,827 times
You should move to a major city.

After college I moved back to my hometown and was working $11-$12/hr jobs like you described. The ONLY young 20somethings that make a decent living are the medical field or military. It's a mid sized city far from being "the sticks" but also far from being a "major" city.

After a few years of job hopping admin jobs I decided to move to DC. My salary was a SIGNIFICANT improvement of what I was earning back home. I found out that many new graduates were making close to what I was making. I wish I would've moved to DC or another major city immediately after graduation.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I feel your pain. I'm a 2012 Business Management grad working a $12 an hour gig which I hate and will likely be laid off from soon. I'm trying to relocate to either Virginia or Maryland where I have a better chance at increasing salary. Getting a job out of state is no picnic. Since I did live in Virginia up until two years ago I'm very much considering just putting my old VA address on my resume.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times
Dc has the same problem of most jobs demanding job experience for the few entry level jobs not being performed by temps and unpaid interns.

Couple that with all the preference for veterans and demanding security clearances coming in.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM

247 posts, read 751,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I believe 10-11$ is the new "normal". Unless you are one of the golden "select majors" you will have to settle, compromise alot. Still a job is better than no job
I agree. It's the new normal.

That aside, you may read some that make more than that, but they may live in larger cities. You may only make a small amount in small towns but your salary relative to the cost of living could be pretty good.
For example, there is a COL salary comparison calculator online and my very low starting salary in my small town was equivalent to almost three times as much in NYC. So, some fresh grad in NYC may start out making three times more than I do, but I'm actually living the same because it's so cheap to live in a small town.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I agree. It's the new normal.

That aside, you may read some that make more than that, but they may live in larger cities. You may only make a small amount in small towns but your salary relative to the cost of living could be pretty good.
For example, there is a COL salary comparison calculator online and my very low starting salary in my small town was equivalent to almost three times as much in NYC. So, some fresh grad in NYC may start out making three times more than I do, but I'm actually living the same because it's so cheap to live in a small town.
Yeah, but you have to think of the long term promotion. If I were to move to NYC Area like my peers, who are starting with large salarys, and they make promotions, before you know it they will be making 6 figures.

Right now, I can't even get into the low 20k's (can't even find a job, while they are making 50-70k (finding jobs right away), and later on down the road, they will be making more money, and their assets will be higher.

I know someone who left D.C, to come to my city (7th largest city in the nation), and she stated that she was making more in D.C and saving more money than here. If she could have saved more, that means her potential for having more assets in the long run, are greater.

So, yeah maybe I should move...after looking at some of these comments.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times
maybe moving is the key. One factor that at least for the moment keeps me from moving is: "What if I move and I can't find anything? It will be just as bad as it was in NJ".

Moving requires a signficant investment, I don't want it to be like college, another moneysink

Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM

497 posts, read 696,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcool View Post
Side note: I am looking for a position that has the benefit of paying for my education (I would like to have it for grad school).
I think this may be a part of the problem. You should be more specific about what you are looking for. Yes, I know you are a recent grad, but it would help - from a networking standpoint - if you were more clear about what you really want to do. Then you need to perfect your 30-second pitch that lets those around you know what you are looking for, and then they will be better equipped to help you.

Job boards are nice, but you really need to get out and network with people. Google networking events in the San Antonio area. Heck, you are even close enough to Houston - which has one of the best economies right now - that you can drive down there for a day of networking. And use LinkedIn!

Also, volunteering is a great way to meet people and gain valuable experience (does your college have an alumni chapter in the area? If so, volunteer to be the president or a board member).

Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
I think this may be a part of the problem. You should be more specific about what you are looking for. Yes, I know you are a recent grad, but it would help - from a networking standpoint - if you were more clear about what you really want to do. Then you need to perfect your 30-second pitch that lets those around you know what you are looking for, and then they will be better equipped to help you.

Job boards are nice, but you really need to get out and network with people. Google networking events in the San Antonio area. Heck, you are even close enough to Houston - which has one of the best economies right now - that you can drive down there for a day of networking. And use LinkedIn!

Also, volunteering is a great way to meet people and gain valuable experience (does your college have an alumni chapter in the area? If so, volunteer to be the president or a board member).
I know what I want to do, I would like to help write/research policy in various governmental sectors. In a more general sense, I perform constituent work, and various human service programs.

San Antonio, doesn't have a nice "networking" deal, therefore I have been volunteering in the past to meet people and gain experience but it can only go so far when you need money to pay for your school loans.

I don't see how driving 3-4 hours to Houston, will help with networking.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,827 times
I'd make the move while you can still use the title "recent grad" to your advantage.

In DC there are TONS of internships and volunteer opportunities to give you real experience and pad your resume. Many internships are with significant organizations and not just your local mom & pop printing shop throwing out trash and sweeping the floors.

People always talk about High Cost of Living vs Higher Salaries when it comes to big cities BUT there's not too many costs when you're a young recent college grad. Many recent grads I know live with roommates which drastically cuts down housing costs. I believe Cost of Living only really factors in when you have a family to support and need to maintain a certain lifestyle when moving around. Being a young college grad, you don't have to worry about those things yet and I'm sure you don't have high living standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment