Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 PM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times

Advertisements

My first and second printers were HP products. The first was a Photosmart HP 2410 multifunction and worked okay for the first year I had it but got slower and slower as the years went by. I had it from 2004 - 2010 and it just fell apart on me one day while I was trying to clean the track the printhead rode on. I ended up buying an HP F4450 model multifunction and that thing was a POS. Ate ink like crazy and wouldn't ever print right. I think you were better off buying a new printer when you ran out of ink simply because one cartridge would only yield maybe 50 copies or so, no joke. I ended up buying a Canon MG5220 Pixma printer and knock on wood that has been better than the previous HP printers. I was going to use the F4450 as a planter but I don't think it could even do THAT right.

HP is typical of most American electronics companies. HP and many others are trying to transition from being actual hardware companies to being 'solutions' companies and it shows. Instead of selling hardware and servicing it like they should, HP sells a beater $400 computer and tries to make the customer pay an additional $150 - $200 on warranties and other revenue padding products that really don't cover much to begin with. Even the $600 and $800 products don't really seem to give you much. An HP product is really only designed to last a little past the warranty period. Gateways were like this as well (used to work for them myself) but were often more expensive and unreliable. And now Gateway is but a shell of itself; closing the Gateway stores was the stupidest mistake they made if you ask me. I'd give HP maybe 4 years before they fall or are bought out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
My parents generation remembers when HP products were high quality, and while I never had a problem with their computers (which were admittedly, the higher-end ones made for corporate use, so they probably had to put some quality in them), their printers have been terrible for some time. The HP inkjet I bought about 7 years ago was junk, despite decent reviews online. It was slow, unreliable, and the color ink literally dried up in a week if you didn't use it, which is insane. Years later, I got a Brother home laser printer, which works fine.

HP will probably end up bought up and effectively put out of business... and no doubt that will result in plenty more American job losses and big bonuses all around for the executives who made the "difficult decision" to run a once excellent American company into the ground.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
I'm sorry to see more people are losing jobs.

Any HP computers I had were crap and broke in a year.

What is it about computers not lasting more than a year or two now?

Anyhow, sorry for those (probably regular folks, not big wigs) who will lose jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment