Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian84 View Post

Absolutely, I find myself extremely lucky since my father owns quite a bit of property in Port St.Lucie Florida. Both of my parents know how unhappy I am at my current position but I stay because that's what makes them happy. So they offered me one of there places in Florida until I get on my feet with work in the area, rent free. Extremely fortunate and I greatly appreciate my parents for that offer.

If it doesn't work out, then I can always come back to new york city. Hopefully it will haha

The worst part is that as the manager is leaving, she wished my a happy birthday, talk about a spit in the face..... And I know for the next two weeks its going to be hell for me, I actually have a meeting with HR tomorrow about the latest event. I will be backed into a corner once again....

Oh well... live and learn right?
Hey, if you can live rent free, you're doing better than most of us. Can't argue with that From a financial standpoint, you'll likely be doing much better than trying to make ends meet in NY. I keep hearing that wages and salaries in NY are getting clobbered. Of course, you don't want to remove yourself from centers of business, and there is plenty going on in the way of health care in Florida. Looking at it from that standpoint, you stand to do well, possibly better than your previous situation. Expect the salaries to stink in Florida, but you are looking for experience primarily.

I would still recommend thickening your skin a bit. If someone insults you, so what? You're there to do your job, so as long as you're growing professionally, gaining experience, and making money, you're accomplishing what you need to. Some people are miserable, and they will take to intimidating others to get their kicks. Happens everywhere. Part of gaining experience is learning to deal with that constructively. I've had a fair bit of scuffs, but you learn to be the better person. You will be respected by others if you can overcome that, because many cannot. I think that plays a big role in your success in the professional arena.

Allow me to reiterate my previous point... Healthcare is a rather stressful line of work. There are also a lot of good people, as well as a lot of very twisted, power hungry people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM

42 posts, read 76,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Hey, if you can live rent free, you're doing better than most of us. Can't argue with that From a financial standpoint, you'll likely be doing much better than trying to make ends meet in NY. I keep hearing that wages and salaries in NY are getting clobbered. Of course, you don't want to remove yourself from centers of business, and there is plenty going on in the way of health care in Florida. Looking at it from that standpoint, you stand to do well, possibly better than your previous situation. Expect the salaries to stink in Florida, but you are looking for experience primarily.

I would still recommend thickening your skin a bit. If someone insults you, so what? You're there to do your job, so as long as you're growing professionally, gaining experience, and making money, you're accomplishing what you need to. Some people are miserable, and they will take to intimidating others to get their kicks. Happens everywhere. Part of gaining experience is learning to deal with that constructively. I've had a fair bit of scuffs, but you learn to be the better person. You will be respected by others if you can overcome that, because many cannot. I think that plays a big role in your success in the professional arena.

Allow me to reiterate my previous point... Healthcare is a rather stressful line of work. There are also a lot of good people, as well as a lot of very twisted, power hungry people.
Agree with you 100 percent. This was a learning experience for me, it was my first real job after I got my masters degree so I did not know what to expect. And my relocation to Florida was unexpected, my parents gave me that opportunity just to think about. They know that I am 28 and I want to move out, but at my job I wasn't making enough to even rent a 1 bed room in new york city.

So they said I can live in there condo in Florida, rent and utilities free until I find work. I think it's a great opportunities that I should take advantage of since I am 28, have no kids and I'm not married.

The job that I resigned from was just a assistant job that required no degrees or experience but I took it because like everyone I had bills to pay haha. And wanted to put that on my resume that I worked for the largest health system in new York city.

I met a lot of great people and got many letters of recommendations, including one from the CFO of the hospital.

You are right that I need thicker skin but i think that will come with time and more work experience.

I hope everything will work out for me in florida and the only way I will know is when I get there .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment