Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times

Advertisements

TVandSportsGuy: Oh, you hit upon another annoying joke tactic used by the job boards - the fake "new" job. They claim a job is new, we click on it, and then discover that it's the same job that's been on the company's website for 6 months... we already applied to it, our resume vanished into the blackhole, and nobody is going to actually be hired for that "job." There's nothing new about it, but by claiming it is new, the job board gets more clicks, which produces more money from ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
TVandSportsGuy: Oh, you hit upon another annoying joke tactic used by the job boards - the fake "new" job. They claim a job is new, we click on it, and then discover that it's the same job that's been on the company's website for 6 months... we already applied to it, our resume vanished into the blackhole, and nobody is going to actually be hired for that "job." There's nothing new about it, but by claiming it is new, the job board gets more clicks, which produces more money from ads.
Exactly, the worst job sites right now in May of 2012

1. Monster
2. Indeed.com
3. Opportunity Knocks

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
People who don't even live in your area but say there are tons of jobs there.

Hello, just because you see posts for jobs or read on Yahoo that so and so is a great area it doesn't mean anything.

I am sick of hearing how my area has TONS of jobs. Even the insane guy at Unemployment tried to convince my husband how many jobs are here (not) then he went on to confess how he was unemployed himself for 2 years.

Just because Indeed has a bunch of stuff listed doesn't mean a darn thing.

1) agencies just post anything to get you in and lie
2) companies are collecting resumes
3) these jobs do not always exist.

Sorry, just have to vent.

It's the same when people say there are tons of X jobs.

Do you do this type of work? Have you a clue how many of X jobs require various certifications/specific certifications? For example, if you are a teacher, you have to be certified in a certain area with a current license for that state to teach long term.

Saying there are a ton of teaching jobs is bogus. Maybe a ton of something you have to have SPECIFIC skills in.

Ugh!
Oh #2 most definitely! Some employers are honest about it, they "keep an open pool of candidates", (which means, they take applications and get to be EXTRA picky for a job that most people can do so who knows if/when you'll ever get that job), some are not.

And yes, there ARE jobs out there. The problem is, you are either "overqualified", (I'm so SICK of hearing that!), or it's a job that you have no chance in hell of doing at this stage in your life. It's not realistic to say, "There's 30 jobs on the front page asking for a diesel engine mechanic" if you have no damn experience working on a diesel engine!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh #2 most definitely! Some employers are honest about it, they "keep an open pool of candidates", (which means, they take applications and get to be EXTRA picky for a job that most people can do so who knows if/when you'll ever get that job), some are not.

And yes, there ARE jobs out there. The problem is, you are either "overqualified", (I'm so SICK of hearing that!), or it's a job that you have no chance in hell of doing at this stage in your life. It's not realistic to say, "There's 30 jobs on the front page asking for a diesel engine mechanic" if you have no damn experience working on a diesel engine!
I'm currently waiting for someone to get "promoted" or "fired" so I can get a job-lol

Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
It's upsetting, really. I was making 47k as an Administrative Assistant a few years ago, I was downsized, and have been unable to find anything remotely close to that - with over 15 years experience, I'm lucky if I get offered 32k.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:33 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
I also get a laugh out of companies that claim "they are hiring" and then you click on the news article and discover that they intend to hire a bunch of people... over the next several years... once the new plant is built/the old one is remodeled/they win a big contract. That's nice, but it doesn't really count as "hiring" since it's all pie-in-the-sky stuff that might happen eventually. And, in most cases, even if it *does* happen, we'll run into the same brickwalls we hit everywhere else: black-hole resume submissions, job postings with absurdly narrow requirements that we can never hope to meet without traveling back in time and changing our whole career path, etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
I sometimes wish I was one of those fearless people that just pick up and go, and live a more relaxed, easygoing lifestyle ... I always worry about finances though.

I went to Key West a few years ago and met a bartender that lived in NYC for years- he said he was a lawyer, got sick of the rat race, and relocated to Key West, and that's his life now- bartending ... It sounded so heavenly ... but, I always worry, "what if" I couldn't find a job ...

I'd love to relocate to Grand Cayman and become a snorkel instructor ... lol

Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times
I agree about the job boards. New jobs are really not new. Sometimes you get stupid boards come up with jobs that are really months old.

No point in getting psyched about anything.
Even when you get a job, the pay sucks so much now.

I'm dealing with a cranky and fed up husband today. The **** phone just doesn't ring.

We want to move and are willing to if someone would just call and offer him an interview.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I agree about the job boards. New jobs are really not new. Sometimes you get stupid boards come up with jobs that are really months old.

No point in getting psyched about anything.
Even when you get a job, the pay sucks so much now.

I'm dealing with a cranky and fed up husband today. The **** phone just doesn't ring.

We want to move and are willing to if someone would just call and offer him an interview.
My recommendation is to turn the phone off during business hours and let the calls go to a professional voicemail greeting by your husband and check the phone every hour to see if there are any messages. That way you won't drive yourself crazy waiting to hear a ring during business hours. I check for messages at every :55 of each hour until 5pm.

And another reason why this is good is because you won;t get caught off guard when someone calls.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My recommendation is to turn the phone off during business hours and let the calls go to a professional voicemail greeting by your husband and check the phone every hour to see if there are any messages. That way you won't drive yourself crazy waiting to hear a ring during business hours. I check for messages at every :55 of each hour until 5pm.

And another reason why this is good is because you won;t get caught off guard when someone calls.
In my opinion that's terrible advice. When someone in HR has a mile long list of qualified applicants to call for interviews they're not going to bother leaving a message but will just move on to the next candidate. If you want a job you answer the 'phone and you certainly don't need time to be "prepared". Why would you be caught "off guard"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment