Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:44 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
My recommendation is to turn the phone off during business hours and let the calls go to a professional voicemail greeting by your husband and check the phone every hour to see if there are any messages. That way you won't drive yourself crazy waiting to hear a ring during business hours. I check for messages at every :55 of each hour until 5pm.

And another reason why this is good is because you won;t get caught off guard when someone calls.
When I'm calling to interview someone about a job and hear a VM, I leave a message and move on the next applicant. The odds are good that I will find a suitable candidate before the person with VM returns my call.

You've been out of work since last year, no wonder you get caught off guard when someone calls. I'll bet that phone rings less, with each passing month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 02:45 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
People who don't even live in your area but say there are tons of jobs there.

Hello, just because you see posts for jobs or read on Yahoo that so and so is a great area it doesn't mean anything.

I am sick of hearing how my area has TONS of jobs. Even the insane guy at Unemployment tried to convince my husband how many jobs are here (not) then he went on to confess how he was unemployed himself for 2 years.

Just because Indeed has a bunch of stuff listed doesn't mean a darn thing.

1) agencies just post anything to get you in and lie
2) companies are collecting resumes
3) these jobs do not always exist.

Sorry, just have to vent.

It's the same when people say there are tons of X jobs.

Do you do this type of work? Have you a clue how many of X jobs require various certifications/specific certifications? For example, if you are a teacher, you have to be certified in a certain area with a current license for that state to teach long term.

Saying there are a ton of teaching jobs is bogus. Maybe a ton of something you have to have SPECIFIC skills in.

Ugh!

Exactly, and here's some proof right here:

http://danielamerman.com/articles/2012/WorkC.html

Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
What the poster above says is somewhat true now.

I think you need to pick up the phone asap if you can.

But--

Sometimes you just can't--you're driving, or in someplace you can't talk. These things happen.

Just googled the woman's name and found out she is a HR person which means I may have missed out, lol damm. Well after reading this thread and going through this I now will leave my phone on during business hours.

BTW: Why leave a message if they won't call back? Seems kind of stupid if you ask me.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Sometimes you just can't--you're driving, or in someplace you can't talk. These things happen.
Of course there are times when you absolutely can't get to the 'phone. My point is (and I know plenty of employers and HR people all over the country who've concurred with me on the past on this subject which is nothing new) that many of them do NOT leave messages when they get voicemail and simply go on to the next candidate. Ergo, you'll never know about the call you missed because no message was left in the first place.

It makes no sense to me to deliberately ignore your telephone calls and let everything go to voicemail when you're out of work and desperately seeking employment. If you're seriously that socially inept and/or unprofessional that you can't be prepared to answer a simple business 'phone call then you'll just have to accept that you may be left at the bottom of the pile for quite some time (as a few contributors to this forum have been, and seem to be almost accustomed to it as being the norm ...).

Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
When I'm calling to interview someone about a job and hear a VM, I leave a message and move on the next applicant. The odds are good that I will find a suitable candidate before the person with VM returns my call.

You've been out of work since last year, no wonder you get caught off guard when someone calls. I'll bet that phone rings less, with each passing month.

Well this experience has taught me to leave my phone on now. And it looks like that;s what she did, went right to the next person. So nothing to do but learn from this and move on

Old 05-24-2012, 02:52 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Here's an example of how hard it is to JUST get an interview. I saw a job posted 2 weeks ago. The name of the company wasn't listed, but I knew the job was PERFECT for me. They had set up a gmail account, so I emailed them a resume with a cover letter, a well thought out cover letter, mind you. The next day, I sent a follow up cover letter at about 4:20 (this was Friday the 11th. On Sunday night late (so they would see it first think Monday) I sent a short note saying I was looking forward to setting up a meeting. On the 13th same thing, with a post to my blog, which I had just posted an article relevant to the job, and showing my writing skills. Finally, after a week and a half, I get a response. Had a phone interview this past Wednesday, and made it to next round. But this is going to be a 2-3 month process.

I mean, its ridiculous how long it takes IF you can even get an interview. This is like a depression. And the REAL unemployment number is closer to 20% in this country. No, jobs are not plentiful, and for every job in my field, there are 100's of applicants. When they sort through them, if I'm lucky I'm in the top 10 and competing with 9 other people with great credentials as well. Its a nightmare!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Quote:
Just googled the woman's name and found out she is a HR person which means I may have missed out, lol damm. Well after reading this thread and going through this I now will leave my phone on during business hours.

BTW: Why leave a message if they won't call back? Seems kind of stupid if you ask me.

Did he finally admit that something seems stupid, even to him? OMG, 12/12/12 the world is gonna end. we should all just stick our heads between our legs and kisss our a** goodbye.

with the advent of Cell phones, employers expect to catch you on the first call, if not, they move on to the next candidate. I get 50 apps a day, if I call and leave a message, and then I call the next. I leave maybe four or five, then its up to the first one of those five to call me back.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM

30 posts, read 96,163 times
Quote:
Well this experience has taught me to leave my phone on now. And it looks like that;s what she did, went right to the next person. So nothing to do but learn from this and move on

Right on. That's all you can do.

Also, one of the things I did when I was still looking for a job was to treat my "business hours" as if I'm already working an office job, meaning I stay in front of my home office/computer, "working" on doing things that will help me get a job (revising cover letter/resume, practicing interviews, etc...you get the picture) and take lunch break at a normal lunch hour. This way, I was available to pick up the phone right away.

Also, I don't know about you, but for many people, it's so very easy to just keep a "flexible" schedule when they're not currently working and go run errands anytime they want, but I think little things like adjusting your schedule, so that you're not in a position where you cannot answer a call for interview can be a difference in landing a job or not.

Even though I was out of work for 2.5 months, I was still "working" full time during that time, looking for job and working on myself/prepping to become a better job candidate. Heck, I would say I worked 12+ hours 6 days a week working for like 2 months.

Don't take any chance. Make the job search your TOP priority.

I certainly won't be working 12+ hours a day for a while though....

Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
[/b]

Did he finally admit that something seems stupid, even to him? OMG, 12/12/12 the world is gonna end. we should all just stick our heads between our legs and kisss our a** goodbye.

with the advent of Cell phones, employers expect to catch you on the first call, if not, they move on to the next candidate. I get 50 apps a day, if I call and leave a message, and then I call the next. I leave maybe four or five, then its up to the first one of those five to call me back.
Well that sounds stupid for the reasons below

1. On the Toilet
2. Driving
3. At the checkout counter in the market
4. In the Laundry room
5. On the subway underground

I called back in 40 minutes so I guess she wasn't playing around. Oh well, on to the next

Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseccus View Post
Right on. That's all you can do.

Also, one of the things I did when I was still looking for a job was to treat my "business hours" as if I'm already working an office job, meaning I stay in front of my home office/computer, "working" on doing things that will help me get a job (revising cover letter/resume, practicing interviews, etc...you get the picture) and take lunch break at a normal lunch hour. This way, I was available to pick up the phone right away.

Also, I don't know about you, but for many people, it's so very easy to just keep a "flexible" schedule when they're not currently working and go run errands anytime they want, but I think little things like adjusting your schedule, so that you're not in a position where you cannot answer a call for interview can be a difference in landing a job or not.

Even though I was out of work for 2.5 months, I was still "working" full time during that time, looking for job and working on myself/prepping to become a better job candidate. Heck, I would say I worked 12+ hours 6 days a week working for like 2 months.

Don't take any chance. Make the job search your TOP priority.

I certainly won't be working 12+ hours a day for a while though....

I agree, but usually when someone leaves a message I check it and call them right back so that was the first time this ever happened to me. So now I have no choice but to leave the phone on between 9am and 6pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment