Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times

Advertisements

going for a call center interview in the morrow, as long as it has a base salary as oppposed to commision only, I will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Call Center jobs are better than

Fast Food jobs
Retail Jobs
Labor jobs

Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post

Fast Food jobs
Retail Jobs
Labor jobs
You're kidding me right? I was never defenseless in food and retail jobs. My managers gave me authority to tell out of control customers to leave or advise them taht I would not be helping them until they calmed down. Sometimes, if I couldn't get the customer to do either, the manager would step in. they never felt that an ahole customer was worth more than their employee. It just paid a lot less.

At my call center job, if I tell a customer that I will not be helping them unless they calmed down I can get fired. Same for hanging up on an out of control customer. So you start playing so dumb that you hope they hang up on you. sometimes it works. but it pays more than my other jobs I've had the last few years..but I've had way better jobs that paid more too (in a better economy). Either way, I only have 7 more weeks left since I got an internship in another city so I'm going to start hanging up on my outrageous customers and telling them that I won't be helping them *click*. I live in America and I don't have to put up with you..be nice to me and I'll go above and beyond to help you. and I've learned to tune out the whiny customers with no purpose beyond whining.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:

Fast Food jobs
Retail Jobs
Labor jobs
They may pay better, but otherwise they're equally as bad.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
You're kidding me right? I was never defenseless in food and retail jobs. My managers gave me authority to tell out of control customers to leave or advise them taht I would not be helping them until they calmed down. Sometimes, if I couldn't get the customer to do either, the manager would step in. they never felt that an ahole customer was worth more than their employee. It just paid a lot less.

At my call center job, if I tell a customer that I will not be helping them unless they calmed down I can get fired. Same for hanging up on an out of control customer. So you start playing so dumb that you hope they hang up on you. sometimes it works. but it pays more than my other jobs I've had the last few years..but I've had way better jobs that paid more too (in a better economy). Either way, I only have 7 more weeks left since I got an internship in another city so I'm going to start hanging up on my outrageous customers and telling them that I won't be helping them *click*. I live in America and I don't have to put up with you..be nice to me and I'll go above and beyond to help you. and I've learned to tune out the whiny customers with no purpose beyond whining.

You are paid to calm the customer down with your suberb customer service skills

Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
They may pay better, but otherwise they're equally as bad.

The call center job helps develop communication skills. The fast food jobs don't help develop anything

Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,075 times
Quote:
You are paid to calm the customer down with your suberb customer service skills
that very seldom works. And I am at one of the lowest paid call centers in my low wage city. so it is really not worth it to try.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 AM

503 posts, read 1,172,139 times
Quote:

Fast Food jobs
Retail Jobs
Labor jobs
Depends on the call center. You know how when you call customer service and they tell you to hit a specific button for a specific department? Yeah, we were EVERY department. Emergency, dispatch, billing, payments, new customers, cancelling service, retention, complaints, repairs scheduling, and so on.

I'd rather have done telemarketing.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,502 times
I would prefer a retail job to the call center, esp the one I just finished. Pay is about the same for me. If the retail job is hanging clothes at Macy's or stocking shelves at Michael's, or ringing up the occasional customer at Nordstrom's, I can do that no problem. I could work well enough at Macy's or Nordstrom to work my way up to an office job (like I did at Wal-Mart years ago) and since I have a degree I would set my sites on HR or something. At my call center job, I was a temp so I wasn't able to move up as it was gov't, they didn't allow a temp to come on permanent no matter how much they loved you.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
The "skills" one learns in a call center often do not transfer well to other industries. Oftentimes calls are incoming one after another, all day, every day, that the agent has no time to develop any skills. I can't think of any other private sector industry that has such rigid guidelines and restrictions on basic functions (having to raise a hand to go to the restroom, having to meet "metrics" every month which can be outside of agent control, little if any freedom to deviate from a script). I worked at Wal-Mart for awhile in college and would much rather do that than work at any of the pure call centers in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment