Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:34 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,664 times

Advertisements

Why do I fill out online applications with 1 hour personality tests? They can't even pick up the phone and call people for interviews. Why when I follow up, the manager and employees tell me they aren't hiring when they put up an advertisement yesterday afternoon? People can fuel the stereotypes all they want. I'd take the $8/hr job and right now I only have a G.E.D.. That's what I have been always looking for. It even says that if you are on disability, they can get a tax break for hiring you. But that doesn't appear to be enough! But I am judged by the rest of society for just trying to survive. I want to play by the rules but I am not allowed to. I found an old folder full of photocopies of applications I've sent out since 2010. All minimum wage jobs. I don't look at it as being entitled. I look at it as......playing by the rules, and still getting shot down.

Coming from someone with a disability that can work, has worked, and wants to work.

Last edited by silenthelpreturns; 05-26-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Of course, they're entitled! Go to college for 4 long years, pile on the debt, they damn well should be able to get a good job, with good bennies. Retail and fast food is where people go as a *last resort.*

I seriously hope YOU get to lose your job, like tomorrow, so YOU can see what it's like to be struggling not being able to find a job, because cretins just like YOU makes it SO DAMN HARD to get one.
Anyone can get into college today. A degree means very little from a crappy school or crappy student.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Going to college is terrific, but it is the START of a lifetime process of gaining education, experience, and training, not the end. At my first professional job, I made less in a week than I make by the middle of Monday now. I was not terribly concerned about my first starting salary, and while college does cost more now, the ratio of debt to starting pay has not changed much. Median debt is 24k-most likely 60% of first professional salary on average. Todays kids get 20-25 years to pay, my generation had 10 years.
Yep. It's under 20k for most top 100 schools.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:51 PM

428 posts, read 900,480 times
You know when I was unemployed I applied online to some retail stores, took there personality tests and have ALOT of customer service experience never once did they call they just sent thanks but no thanks email... Sooo to all those out there that say you want nice, hard working non pain in the butt people I call BS on that... Cause Im one of those none whiney employees that would of been fantastic to have but they never took a chance.. .So your loss =)

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
You know, I recently went on a retail job interview (last week). It was for Dillards. I found it somewhat humorous that they were advertising their retail positions under the guise of a "Management Trainee Position", but I applied none the less and snagged a slot in one of their interview times on my campus.

-Keep in mind. I didn't "GET" the interview. As long as you were quick enough to snag a slot then they were obligated to meet you in person and speak with you for 30 minutes.-

But anyways, the interview went well from what I can interpret from it. I have a spotty employment history, but I do have four years of customer service work and a B.S. degree in Business Management. I know I am good looking because I used to be a go go dancer at gay bars during college. If you can do that, then you can do ANY retail job. What more could a company like Dillards want out of prospective employee?

But, its been a week now, and I haven't gotten a call back. The bottom line is that for early twenty somethings like us, the job market is the worst it has been since the 1930s. Employers can pick people with past work experience. Everyone has a degree so that hardly matters anymore. One day, things will get better, but it won't for many many years.

The one thing good going for us is that we are young. To all these high and mighty people posting on this thread. Guess what? You will be in your graves soon enough and the unemployed youth of today will be pissing on them.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
You know when I was unemployed I applied online to some retail stores, took there personality tests and have ALOT of customer service experience never once did they call they just sent thanks but no thanks email... Sooo to all those out there that say you want nice, hard working non pain in the butt people I call BS on that... Cause Im one of those none whiney employees that would of been fantastic to have but they never took a chance.. .So your loss =)
Then the personality test likely showed you were not a good match. I admit there are flaws with the systems, but generally the tests are taken by the top employees every few years, and the aggregate answers are used to find employees with longevity who will fit with the company culture.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM

428 posts, read 900,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Then the personality test likely showed you were not a good match. I admit there are flaws with the systems, but generally the tests are taken by the top employees every few years, and the aggregate answers are used to find employees with longevity who will fit with the company culture.

Hmmm well Im sure it didnt help that all my retail experience occurred prior to 1999 and everything after has been corporate call centers, support departments or logistics... I was just curious since it seemed to me my customer service friendly self would of been perfect.. But in all honesty I was just applying cause I needed a job not because I had any strong desire to work in retail... I dont think its fair to disqualify someone who was trying to get a job just because there might be factors they might jump ship soon.. Dont you run that risk with everyone you hire? It doesnt matter now because I did find a job as a accounting clerk but let me tell you those thanks but no thanks emails from retail places I think depressed me more than the jobs I applied for that I thought were harder to get...

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Hmmm well Im sure it didnt help that all my retail experience occurred prior to 1999 and everything after has been corporate call centers, support departments or logistics... I was just curious since it seemed to me my customer service friendly self would of been perfect.. But in all honesty I was just applying cause I needed a job not because I had any strong desire to work in retail... I dont think its fair to disqualify someone who was trying to get a job just because there might be factors they might jump ship soon.. Dont you run that risk with everyone you hire? It doesnt matter now because I did find a job as a accounting clerk but let me tell you those thanks but no thanks emails from retail places I think depressed me more than the jobs I applied for that I thought were harder to get...
There are a lot more flaws in narrowing down a pool of retail
applicants than other jobs where less people would be qualified.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:26 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I don't quite understand what you are saying.....

There are a lot more flaws in narrowing down a pool of retail applicants compared(?) to other jobs (like what?) where less people would be qualified.

I guess I am looking for examples.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
True, a lack of software knowledge, specific education, training, and experience quite often weeds out professional applicants who, right from the start, failed the minimum qualifications test. Not so with retail. the barriers to entry are so low, that few entrants fail to meet the minimum standards, and for that reason, the ratio of supply to demand can be extreme, and hard to whittle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment