Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:07 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,812 times

Advertisements

Looking on the net many times I keep getting the same list of "in-demand jobs." Sometimes I wonder if these people do next to no research in these top ten articles and just copypasta from other websites and stats.

I can think of a handful of careers that are worth looking into:

Geologist
Meteorologist
Aerospace
Urban Planning
Hospice/Home Health

These are careers I've picked out as I'm considering it's long term appeal rather than how much you can bring home to support a family. (Though that is the end goal.) I know a couple ex nurses who went into Hospice, they tell me it's far less stressful and it pays about the same and they've been nurses for at least a decade if not more. I'm sure experience plays into this.

I wish there was a field for someone with a maintenance/technician/troubleshooting background can break into. Why does someone consider it unskilled when you actually have to know what you're doing? Maybe my ignorant upbringing has sheltered me from what everyone else knows because I'm honestly at a crossroad on this. So I figured to hear from all of you and your opinion on this subject.

...and, GO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:47 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,216 times
I don't know about in demand. I have no interest in "in demand" jobs because I can't do math (poor me, right?), I am not a scientist or have no inclination to be another bitchy nurse.

It's like those polls of Best Places to Live. I wonder at some of them. Yeah, maybe so and so is a nice city but I've lived there and it personally seemed like a hell hole. I read peoples' comments and they say the same thing." How did they rate (my town) as the top 10 places to recover from the recession when I can't get a job?" type things.

I think you can only try to pursue what you are good at and what you think you can do to make a difference. Many people will say, for example, theatre majors or English majors are BS in this economy but let me tell you something I have learned from all my reading.

People love a good story. They love to laugh, they love to read a compelling book, watch tv, watch a great play. Especially in a bad economy.

So all these people saying English is a b.s. major and you are better off being an accountant, well, okay, whatever you say. I see plenty of business majors out of work.

If you would be a better writer, musician or communicator than an business man, go for it.

We still need entertainment. We need to laugh. They needed to laugh in the Depression and many a fortune was made in the worst times in this nation by singers, actors, writers, and those who thought THEY were losers ate their words as they plodded to their 8-4 factory/corporate jobs.

I'm not implying all artistic majors will go on to fantastic careers but you still have just as much shot these days where MANY are out of work in ALL FIELDS to just follow your passion over what is hot for the moment.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,806 times
The link is to a PDF list of "High Demand" Occupations according to the Department of Labor. This is from a Veterans program I applied to here lately for retraining. Some of the Occupations leave me scratching my head though.

#31 Actor
#32 Athletes and Sport Competitors
#35 Choreographers
#92 Real Estate Sales Agents

Anyways.. heres the link:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/VRAP_High_Demand.pdf

Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,528 times
Here in Maryland, experienced software engineers with Top Secret clearances are in demand. I know that's useless to 99% of the population, but hey, that's about all that's out there.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Here in Maryland, experienced software engineers with Top Secret clearances are in demand. I know that's useless to 99% of the population, but hey, that's about all that's out there.
Yeah, and you go to them and you say "Hi, I'm a software engineer with X years of experience in exactly what you're asking for, and I'm an American citizen with decent finances and who has never been convicted of a crime, interested in sponsoring me for a clearance?" And they say "No, we're considering only candidates with a current background investigation." And then they complain there's a "shortage" (slaps self on forehead)

Old 05-27-2012, 04:03 PM

198 posts, read 388,015 times
Yahoo! News recently put out an article about the job fields with zero unemployment. Actuarial Science, Astronomy and Astrophysics, Educational Administration and Supervision, Geological and Geophysical Engineering, Pharmacology, and Student Counseling all have a zero unemplyment rate right now.

Fields with a really low unemployment rate (less than 3%) include Agricultural Economics, Medical Lab Technology, Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology, Environmental Engineering, Nursing, Nuclear Industrial Radiology, and Biological Technologies.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:04 PM

198 posts, read 388,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I don't know about in demand. I have no interest in "in demand" jobs because I can't do math (poor me, right?), I am not a scientist or have no inclination to be another bitchy nurse.
I hear you.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, and you go to them and you say "Hi, I'm a software engineer with X years of experience in exactly what you're asking for, and I'm an American citizen with decent finances and who has never been convicted of a crime, interested in sponsoring me for a clearance?" And they say "No, we're considering only candidates with a current background investigation." And then they complain there's a "shortage" (slaps self on forehead)
Exactly!

The best part about this is that it is *impossible* to get the needed clearances on one's own, yet companies (and the government) refuse to spend the money on getting them for new employees. Yep... I'm sure that'll work out.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
Yahoo! News recently put out an article about the job fields with zero unemployment. Actuarial Science, Astronomy and Astrophysics, Educational Administration and Supervision, Geological and Geophysical Engineering, Pharmacology, and Student Counseling all have a zero unemplyment rate right now.

Fields with a really low unemployment rate (less than 3%) include Agricultural Economics, Medical Lab Technology, Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology, Environmental Engineering, Nursing, Nuclear Industrial Radiology, and Biological Technologies.
Educational Administration has lots of unemployment. Thousands and thousands of teachers are certified to be educational administrators but are still working as teachers because of politics, old boys club, etc. I'd consider that unemployment if they are not able to work in their chosen position. The absolute same thing applies to Student Counselor.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,741 times
strong demand for welders

pay is good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment