Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
Try telling that guy and others like him that.

We are all affected by past experiences. Perhaps he had a bad experience with someone your distance away, and better experiences with those closer. Of course, that does not mean it would occur every time, but again, past experience affects everyones outlook. (After all, you wrote off all placement agencies based on the actions of one recruiter. Not judging, but its that same old past experience affecting outlook.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'll give you an example why.

I hired a receptionist once. The one absolute requirement of the job was that she be at her desk at 8:00 a.m., chiefly because a lot went on at that time of day. She lived three miles away, so no problem.

Two months later, she meets this guy and moves in with him twenty miles away. Suddenly, she's three minutes late, ten minutes late, and twenty minutes late. Why? Because she could never predict the traffic.

Finally, it got so bad that I had to fire her. I hated to do it, but that was her job.
She was the one who should have felt bad. Your reaction was 100% reasonable.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
At one of the chiropractic offices I interviewed at, the chiropractor thought a 20-25 minute drive was too far so she ended up asking me if I'd mind relocating. Seriously? Relocating for a job 20-25 minutes away, you've GOT to be kidding me!

I don't understand some employers and the whole distance thing.
So what you do is tell them, "sure, I could do that" but you don't actually do it. Get a PO Box in that area, JUST for them to send your checks to, or, if they do direct deposit, for them to send your W2.

They think you live closer, you live where you want and commute.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:
Yes and No.

Right now, my main goal is just to start working again whether that's in a doctor's office 40 minutes away, a dentist's office 25 minutes away or a counseling office 15 minutes away. I want to stay long-term because I then want to use that experience to get into hospital. It doesn't matter if it's the VA 5 minutes away from me, Lake Forest Hospital 15 minutes away from me, Condell Hospital 20 minutes away from me, Holy Family 40 minutes away from me or Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital 50 minutes away from me. Heck, it could even be at one of their medical centers for all I care. That's my ultimate goal as a clerical healthcare worker.

As a total aside, my Grandparents were from Libertyville...and if Condell is the one I am thinking of, they lived across the street from that hospital. The house is no longer there, it is now a parking lot.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:20 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
It is unreasonable unless the employee needs to be on call for emergencies, as the Police Dept. My experience is those who live far away are better at getting there on time since they allow for delays. Those only five miles away don't allow any extra time so they are the ones who get there late. I know Lake County traffic can be a bear, but know plenty who commute over an hour.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
I average about 45 minutes one way, and it often takes me over an hour with a couple times a month over an hour and a half to get home at night.

I could care less what my employer thinks about the commute, its unacceptable to me.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
I have never worked at a place yet that was concerned about how far I lived from a job.

Even so, I have heard about it a few times from other family members. I live in Atlanta and a few potential employers are concerned if you live about 40 miles away going thru Atlanta traffic. Going 40 miles in Atlanta from your home to the job site usually means well over 1-2 hour commute fighting traffic one way during rush hours. I know a call center which was very concerned about its employees being on time expressing that concern in applicants.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'll give you an example why.

I hired a receptionist once. The one absolute requirement of the job was that she be at her desk at 8:00 a.m., chiefly because a lot went on at that time of day. She lived three miles away, so no problem.

Two months later, she meets this guy and moves in with him twenty miles away. Suddenly, she's three minutes late, ten minutes late, and twenty minutes late. Why? Because she could never predict the traffic.

Finally, it got so bad that I had to fire her. I hated to do it, but that was her job.
You had a valid reason to fire her. But I have worked in offices where the people always running late were the ones that lived the closest.

I remember going on a job interview once way out in the West San Fernando Valley, I had no interest after the interview as the boss was this awful woman.

I had to wait almost 30 minutes as she was late getting into work, the first thing she brought up was my commute( I lived about 20 miles away). I really wanted to say "I'm not the one who was 30 minutes late this morning".

Having people live close by doesn't guarantee they will be on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment