Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

I did. It's hard work especially when your clueless but hey it's better than sending resumes into the black hole daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
It's funny how only three people responded. When a solution to a problem is offered, which would require strategy and planning. People are more willing to sit at home and fill out job applications instead of being independent. I'm not saying every business will be successful, but at least it's the best lead some of you have going by your posts.

-Throw a lawn mower in the back of the S.U.V. and cut grass.
-Buy some wax and get into mobile detailing.
-Fix computers at people's homes.

I am sure now people will start chiming in and bashing me with excuses why it isn't plausible. Which is why there are people who look at the unemployed as lazy. I am one of those people. Some people have been laid off since 2008...COME ON...

How much money do you expect someone to make with a lawnmower and an SUV? Kids will cut lawns in my neighborhood for five bucks. Folks with large yards used established lawn care companies who use riding mowers and work crews.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Has anybody who can't find a job ever thought of starting their own business???
It makes more sense to try and start your own business when you are already employed.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
How much money do you expect someone to make with a lawnmower and an SUV? Kids will cut lawns in my neighborhood for five bucks. Folks with large yards used established lawn care companies who use riding mowers and work crews.

LOL.....that sounds more like a "side hustle"

Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM

382 posts, read 804,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That comment is why people aren't working.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,735 times
Quote:
It's not actually that simplistic.
Not taking careful considerations and long-term planning is why 75% or more startups fail.
You can't simply wish your business into existence because you are gung-ho about being a business owner.

Many people do side jobs or freelance to make extra money but a fullscale business needs careful investment of funds and long term planning or you are likely to be worse off than you are as the statistics prove. Don't go by the small % of overnight successes that make the news.

Btw, many CEOs, Executives, Bankers, Wallstreeters never started their own businesses.
They were hired as "employees" and earn 6 figures - millions in salary & bonuses while many small business owners barely earn enough to pay their bills or go bankrupt, so financial success isn't really based on whether you actually started your own business. In fact, being the President of the United States is technically just a government job.

Last edited by raymond2; 05-28-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:

I see you chose to answer by ignoring the question. How much money did you make last year with an SUV and a lawn mower?

Have you considered the cost of liability insurance for your business, as well as the increase in auto insurance premiums for using your personal vehicle for a commercial purpose, or is that something you would just ignore and get to cuttin' grass?

Last edited by joe from dayton; 05-29-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
if you cant even sell yourself you probably wouldn't be very successful. i think such advice is usually bad advice for the long-term unemployed.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
if you cant even sell yourself you probably wouldn't be very successful. i think such advice is usually bad advice for the long-term unemployed.
That stupid advice is the most popular advice given on this board for some reason

Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm not sure having your own business qualifies as independence. You're still 'dependent' on clients/customers, so they in fact become your boss. I assume the difference between that and working for an already established business, is that it's 'your' baby and so you're far more vested in its success, as it directly ties to your own financial well-being.
I grew up watching my parents working their assess off 24/7 in a business that they ended up selling at a huge loss years later. They barely scraped by even though the business brought in a decent amount of money.

No, thanks. I'll work for someone else doing something I find interesting rather than something that bores me out of my skull for money. It's fine and dandy for anyone else and I don't look down on anyone (quite the contrary) but that life is not for me and my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment