Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh please. I have made my situation very clear and I'm not ashamed of it because I actually try to make a change instead of sitting around whining about how I might have to take public transportation.

The only who should be embarrassed here is you for expecting anyone to feel sorry for you because you might have to sit on a bus.

As for "my situation", I'm working. It's not "seasonal". I have a real job. I would like more work, yes, and I do what it takes to get more work. What are you doing? Working at Target? Whoop de doo.

And the links posted are to show everyone who says you don't have public transportation, that it is not true. You DO have public transportation, you even SAID you have public transportation, you just don't want to take it. Boo hoo.

Were you trying, doing everything in your power, yah, I would have sympathy and empathy for you. But you aren't. You have opportunities and you don't want to take them. That is a slap in the face to every single person in this country who is unemployed who wants to work and would jump at the chance for that employment if they could.

"Oh, it's just not good enough, I would have to take the bus and I am just too good for that. Give me sympathy."

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Oh please. I have made my situation very clear and I'm not ashamed of it because I actually try to make a change instead of sitting around whining about how I might have to take public transportation.

The only who should be embarrassed here is you for expecting anyone to feel sorry for you because you might have to sit on a bus.

As for "my situation", I'm working. It's not "seasonal". I have a real job. I would like more work, yes, and I do what it takes to get more work. What are you doing? Working at Target? Whoop de doo.

And the links posted are to show everyone who says you don't have public transportation, that it is not true. You DO have public transportation, you even SAID you have public transportation, you just don't want to take it. Boo hoo.

Were you trying, doing everything in your power, yah, I would have sympathy and empathy for you. But you aren't. You have opportunities and you don't want to take them. That is a slap in the face to every single person in this country who is unemployed who wants to work and would jump at the chance for that employment if they could.

"Oh, it's just not good enough, I would have to take the bus and I am just too good for that. Give me sympathy."

No.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
If you don't have any medical conditions which would keep you out, why not join one of the military branches? You can continue your education, save money, and you'll get out of the town you're living in. You may even find that you want to make a career out of it. If there are any recruiters in town or in a near by town, at least go and have a talk with one. It could change your life for the better. And you would be serving your country.
Military isn't for everybody and nor do I care about the politics of it all behind it. Thanks for your suggestion though...but I get that suggestion 10989080 times...just not for everybody.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
You're high fiving somebody who moved to a state with no job on the other end...also she has 3 dogs and doesn't have a job to take care of any of them.

I highly doubt I'm hungry for advice. LOL

...but go ahead if you would take advice from a person like that...

Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
You're high fiving somebody who moved to a state with no job on the other end...also she has 3 dogs and doesn't have a job to take care of any of them.

You don't pay attention very well.

I have two dogs.

I have two jobs.

From September to January, I had four jobs.

What do you have? A seasonal job at Target and a whole bunch of excuses.

Next!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:

All public transportation is not created equal.

Just a couple years back, our local gem, HRT, was actually featured in a great article about a couple who lived less then 6 miles from their jobs, and averaged 45 minutes to get there from the scheduled bus time, and a few days a month it took over an hour, and 4 days between them in the prior year the bus didnt show at all.

They could literally ride a bike or take a light jog and get there quicker.

Just for the hell of it, I put in my directions in to the trip planner from home to work.

The total trip there takes 2 hours and 46 minutes, includes 2 transfers, and over a mile and a half of walking. So, each day, Id be walking or on the bus for nearly 6 hours, and walking over 3 miles (this assumes there is no traffic, which is a terrible assumption, I sit in over an hour a day in traffic in my car on average). Add it to my average workday, that is about 16 hours, which leaves exactly 8 hours to sleep or do anything else, and those hours would be roughly from about 9:30pm to 5:30am.

Also, it doesnt really take much to pass by a broken down HRT bus on a daily basis, and there are almost no bus lanes or anything that might increase the speed or timeliness of the buses.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
All public transportation is not created equal.

Just a couple years back, our local gem, HRT, was actually featured in a great article about a couple who lived less then 6 miles from their jobs, and averaged 45 minutes to get there from the scheduled bus time, and a few days a month it took over an hour, and 4 days between them in the prior year the bus didnt show at all.

They could literally ride a bike or take a light jog and get there quicker.

Just for the hell of it, I put in my directions in to the trip planner from home to work.

The total trip there takes 2 hours and 46 minutes, includes 2 transfers, and over a mile and a half of walking. So, each day, Id be walking or on the bus for nearly 6 hours, and walking over 3 miles (this assumes there is no traffic, which is a terrible assumption, I sit in over an hour a day in traffic in my car on average). Add it to my average workday, that is about 16 hours, which leaves exactly 8 hours to sleep or do anything else, and those hours would be roughly from about 9:30pm to 5:30am.

Also, it doesnt really take much to pass by a broken down HRT bus on a daily basis, and there are almost no bus lanes or anything that might increase the speed or timeliness of the buses.
I didn't say it didn't suck, I agree it sucks. I've done it, did you read my earlier posts? Of course it sucks!

But many of us have done just that. If you want out of a place bad enough, you will find a way and not make excuses.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
I didn't say it didn't suck, I agree it sucks. I've done it, did you read my earlier posts? Of course it sucks!

But many of us have done just that. If you want out of a place bad enough, you will find a way and not make excuses.

Its beyond sucking. Having only 8 hours free a day is the BEST scenario.

What if one of your buses breaks down? The schedule I put in doesnt leave much room for a broken down bus. How many "my bus broke down" or "my bus was late" excuses is the boss going to take? And you have absolutely no control over this.

So maybe you build in a cushion for that (even though that might not even be enough in some cases, such as the bus not showing up period), now you are talking about 18-20 hours a day on the bus, walking, working, or standing around outside your job waiting for it to open.

Do you really think its safe for a person to operate long term on less than 4 hours of sleep?

Some cities have a wonderful public transportation to the point that people go their whole lives without having a car, such as NYC or San Francisco.

However, most cities and locales, if they have public transportation at all, its shoddy, unreliable, and absolutely not viable for long term usage.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Its beyond sucking. Having only 8 hours free a day is the BEST scenario.

What if one of your buses breaks down? The schedule I put in doesnt leave much room for a broken down bus. How many "my bus broke down" or "my bus was late" excuses is the boss going to take? And you have absolutely no control over this.

So maybe you build in a cushion for that (even though that might not even be enough in some cases, such as the bus not showing up period), now you are talking about 18-20 hours a day on the bus, walking, working, or standing around outside your job waiting for it to open.

Do you really think its safe for a person to operate long term on less than 4 hours of sleep?

Some cities have a wonderful public transportation to the point that people go their whole lives without having a car, such as NYC or San Francisco.

However, most cities and locales, if they have public transportation at all, its shoddy, unreliable, and absolutely not viable for long term usage.
The odds that the same exact bus is going to break down repeatedly is pretty nill.

And yes, I've been there, four hours a day on the bus, that does not include the waiting time for the bus to show up, either. Add in school and work, homework once I did make it home, yah, not a lot of time for sleep, no social life to speak of while I was going to school but guess what? Again, if you want something bad enough, you find a way to make it happen!

Want to talk about crap bus routes? Go to Houston. You can live 10 minutes away, (by car), to one section of the city but to take the bus there, you have to first go all the way downtown and THEN get on another bus to take you almost right back to where you were just a few sections over to get to where you wanted to go.

I KNOW it sucks! It's still not an excuse not to try if you are "at your wit's end" and really want out of a place! It's not forever!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post

Insanity is the act of doing the same stuff again and again, and expecting different results. It's also your MO for job-searching, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment