Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times

Advertisements

Job Seekers Seek Tattoo Removal to Increase Job Prospects

Ink Regret: Job Seekers Seek Tattoo Removal to Increase Job Prospects | Fox Business

Tattooed women outnumber men in a new poll | Reuters

Probably not a good idea either to go on an interview looking like you fell face first into your Grandpa's fishing tackle box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
I agree with how most employers view people wih tattoos, I do not think that it is correct that they do that. I agree if you have full sleeves and those plugs in your ears (ugh) then you are limiting your choices in the work world. Hopefully this will change but I dount it.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
I recently got a tattoo on my inner bicep and I love it. I thought about it for several months to make sure I wouldn't regret it and I think if I ever end up resenting it, it'll be in my older years, so I'm happy with my decision. It also helps that almost all work shirts can successfully cover it.

Getting a tattoo is a big, lifelong decision and some people only think about the here and now and I think those are the ones who have tattoo regrets.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Meh. Just make sure it's coverable, not that you necessarily due that even in a professional environment all the time. I see a fair number of people with tattoos. A lot of women have tattoos on their ankles, fit, back of the neck, wrists, shoulders, etc. They can be covered, but often aren't. Full-sleeves and lower arm tattoos aren't that uncommon on men. In my age group, something like 40% of people have tattoos. We the non-tattooed might actually be the minority by this point. I have nothing against them; I just can't think of anything I'd want.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I agree with how most employers view people wih tattoos, I do not think that it is correct that they do that. I agree if you have full sleeves and those plugs in your ears (ugh) then you are limiting your choices in the work world. Hopefully this will change but I dount it.
I don't think it has anything to do w/how prospective employers view individuals w/tattoos. It's more the 'general public' that has the negative views and stereotypical attitudes. I am finding that job descriptions at many companies ask if there are 'any visible tattoos'. It depends on the industry and the community.
Koale

Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I don't think it has anything to do w/how prospective employers view individuals w/tattoos. It's more the 'general public' that has the negative views and stereotypical attitudes. I am finding that job descriptions at many companies ask if there are 'any visible tattoos'. It depends on the industry and the community.
Koale

This is it exactly. I've had employers ask me to cover mine up (I'm working on a full sleeve and the tattoo on my left arm goes to my wrist) because of how customers will view it...many of the business owners had tattoo work themselves! Behind the scenes they didn't care if mine showed.

The industry I'm in really doesn't care if you have tattoos, and I've found that it's mostly lower paying service type jobs that care.. the highest paying jobs I've had didn't really care if I had visible tattoos or not.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 AM

137 posts, read 267,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This is it exactly. I've had employers ask me to cover mine up (I'm working on a full sleeve and the tattoo on my left arm goes to my wrist) because of how customers will view it...many of the business owners had tattoo work themselves! Behind the scenes they didn't care if mine showed.

The industry I'm in really doesn't care if you have tattoos, and I've found that it's mostly lower paying service type jobs that care.. the highest paying jobs I've had didn't really care if I had visible tattoos or not.
I disagree... In most professional environments you'd be disqualified. I have disqualified all but applicant who interviewed and had a tattoo. My thought is if you have the poor judgment to let me see your tattoo during an interview when you're at your best, how will you be at your worst? Tattoos are unprofessional and this trend is a good thing.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
... and I've found that it's mostly lower paying service type jobs that care.. the highest paying jobs I've had didn't really care if I had visible tattoos or not.
It's the type of business which is relevant not the amount of the pay cheque. When a tattooed POTUS is in the White House you might have a point ...

Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
If you are the best, or really good at what you do, this sort of thing generally doesn't matter. But for 90% of people it will matter. If I have two candidates, otherwise equal, and one is untatted, and the other one has a star one arm, a ying yang on his other arm, and "love" and "hate tattooed across his knuckles, who the eff do you think I am going to pick? Tattoos should be like firearms and have a waiting period.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
don't get a tattoo on your hands, neck, or face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment