Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Long story short: I've been given 4 offers during my job search and after an arduous decision process have selected the most appropriate offer. What is the proper way to reject the other offers? Another twist: the organizations I am rejecting offered academic jobs (PostDoc, Research Scientist, etc) as opposed to corporate private jobs. Anyone in this area have experience in crafting this? I figured either calling or e-mailing works best, but how formal should the rejection be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times
After I started my job last year I got a phone call with an offer a week later... I told him over the phone that I appreciated his time but I had already started a new job.

He wished me luck and that was that.

(If he had emailed me, he would have gotten an email response.)

For a cold contact I would most definitely email.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM

I figured calling was best in 2 of the 3 cases. I just didn't know if people have experience with this slightly different world of academic positions, and whether the procedure is more formal. One is for a faculty position also, and I've heard that a formal letter or e-mail is best for those situations.

Also, considering the position I'm accepting is a higher risk position (with more pay), what is the best way to keep the network open should the 1st choice not pan out well and I wanted to contact my 2nd choice in the future?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Speaking from my experience, we want your declination in written form. It helps protect the university, and it formally allows the position to remain vacant so someone else can be offered the job.

A simple "thank you, but I've accepted another position" is more than acceptable. Don't expect the job you decline to be a back-up plan. The job will be offered to someone else and you will be out of the picture.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Speaking from my experience, we want your declination in written form. It helps protect the university, and it formally allows the position to remain vacant so someone else can be offered the job.

A simple "thank you, but I've accepted another position" is more than acceptable. Don't expect the job you decline to be a back-up plan. The job will be offered to someone else and you will be out of the picture.
Thanks very much for the advice. Written form it is. Probably do so in a pdf and send it off to the Oak Ridge labs representative.

I definitely expect the one position to close up, but since two other people are leaving the one in DC to pursue their doctorate and since my area is extremely niche with a high barrier of entry and very few qualified people (work can't be offshored and I know all the people in the academic community who would apply and none of them plan to), while I don't *expect* it to still be open, I see no alternative to it remaining unfilled. In short, there is no one else in the community to offer the position to.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I absolutely agree with a formal letter in this situation but don't make it too terse. Thank them very much for their time, tell them that their offer was very much appreciated and that the decision was difficult to make but that you've accepted a position elsewhere. Wish them all the very best in finding a suitable applicant and tell them that if at some time in the future your situation should change you'll look forward to meeting with them again. You get the idea I'm sure!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 AM

Silly question, but is there a template around anywhere? I don't mind crafting it myself, but it would help to use a guide of some sort. All I seem to find are rejection letter FROM universities or employers.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Don't use a template! You seem perfectly literate enough to be able to compose a simple letter and a template sticks out like a sore thumb (to me, anyway)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search