Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times

Advertisements

It is nice that your old job offered you your old job back, but why did you leave in the first place? Do you want to return there? If you like your old job better than your new job, get a start date and turn in your resignation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 PM

152 posts, read 493,135 times
I'm already in the process of looking for another job and already have interviews lined up.

I left my job because my team boss left and then my co-worker went all 'I'm the king of this team now', since it was sudden, the managers didn't do anything about it at the time and my friend recommended me for another job, so I left. That person left the company since then and I'm in good contact with all the other employees (they didn't like this person either). They contacted me about me joining out of the blue, they don't know that I'm not happy at my current job. The only reason I don't want to go back to my old job just yet is because though I know I will enjoy it now that everything has settled (I enjoyed working there 90% of the time, which is good), it's a safe choice and I want to see what else is out there first.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
Thanks guys for making me reason with this decision. I appreciate it.

When I first got the job, I made it clear to my boss that I'm used to a flexible work schedule and that I expect that at my current job. He said of course they can make that work and so I decided to accept the offer. Within my first 2 weeks there he wouldn't let me work from home and asked that I take vacation. I told him before I even was hired that I would need to work from home for a week and he said that was ok at the time, but once I was hired I didn't see anything about a flexible work schedule.

The thing is I'm the only person this year who has released a software successfully. I was working my butt off and granted I did get an amazing review, but that's all that amounted from it. He and my other co-workers keep mentioning how fast of a learner I am and how quickly I get stuff done, so I don't understand why he won't cut me some slack and abide by the terms I set when I was first hired.

Also I have a co-worker that makes me feel very uncomfortable and I talked to another female co-worker (she's actually my best friend and the one who recommended me for the job) and she said she feels the same way. But neither of us are the type of people that will say anything about it because what if it's just the guy's personality and he can't help it, then I'm going to look like I just want to cause trouble, which I don't.

Basically all of that plus the merger is making me lose my motivation because it's not what I signed up for.
I am still unsure based on what you do why you are surfing the internet all day and don't have enough to keep you busy. Sounds off.

Stay. You need the benefits.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I am still unsure based on what you do why you are surfing the internet all day and don't have enough to keep you busy. Sounds off.

Stay. You need the benefits.
Because I have no motivation. I have work, but because the company is merging and the program I'm developing maybe won't be used once the merger goes through, I feel like it's busy work and so I'm not motivated to do it. The thing is that's the attitude the entire office seems to have anyhow. We've had someone leave every month.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
\
At my current job, I have no motivation. I spend most of the day surfing the net instead of working. Also our company is merging and so my director says that layoffs may happen in the future and so I'm even less motivated to work.
A. Sounds like you have a sweet deal.

B. You'd better quit before they lay you off, since you're so unmotivated.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
A. Sounds like you have a sweet deal.

B. You'd better quit before they lay you off, since you're so unmotivated.
If I let myself get laid off then I get severance, though. I decide I'm not going to quit until I get another job offer first. In the meantime, it sucks.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
You want to take off and "work" from home ? WHY ?

If you are bored now just think about what life will be like when you are 35 and have bills to pay; mortgage, utilities, car note, children, etc. ?

If you get another job, you will be bored there too, you have not grown up yet, I think you should quit and go back and live with Mom for a few more years.

How about this first, create a massive virus and plant it on the company network and make it so it is attached to every e-mail that goes out, make sure you sign it so they known what a great software developer you are.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You want to take off and "work" from home ? WHY ?

If you are bored now just think about what life will be like when you are 35 and have bills to pay; mortgage, utilities, car note, children, etc. ?

If you get another job, you will be bored there too, you have not grown up yet, I think you should quit and go back and live with Mom for a few more years.

How about this first, create a massive virus and plant it on the company network and make it so it is attached to every e-mail that goes out, make sure you sign it so they known what a great software developer you are.
What made you think I don't have bills to pay? My parents don't pay for anything except for my cell phone bill since I'm still on their family plan. Just like everyone else I pay rent, car payments, insurance, gas, utilities, etc... Also I live in a different state from them.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
If I was in your situation, I wouldn't quit until another position was secured. Keep in mind, atleast one year at the company would look better from a resume view.

BTW, the one-month notice is unenforceable. Two weeks notice is industry standard for most professional positions.

Leaving sooner at most might be considered as leaving in not so good terms, but it might not matter. What's more important is if you can get references from people there.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
If I was in your situation, I wouldn't quit until another position was secured. Keep in mind, atleast one year at the company would look better from a resume view.

BTW, the one-month notice is unenforceable. Two weeks notice is industry standard for most professional positions.

Leaving sooner at most might be considered as leaving in not so good terms, but it might not matter. What's more important is if you can get references from people there.
The policy says I need to give one month notice. If I give 2 weeks (which I agree, has been my passed experience, this is the first job I heard of needing a month) what may I be risking besides leaving on bad terms? I haven't read the policy manual for that, but I wonder if it's possible that I owe them money or something if I leave with less than a month's notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment