Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 AM

417 posts, read 824,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Since your name is "criminaljusticegrad", I assume this would be a job related to that field?

If that is the case, the I suppose you would not want to do anything "wild" like the advertising guy did by hanging a 4 story resume across from the high rise where he was seeking a job in N.Y.!

If you can get interviews for the jobs you are seeking, maybe you could do something subtle like being "seen" in advance by the people who might interview you.

Maybe ride the elevators when everyone is going to work.

Stand out front in a business suit when everyone is going to work. Let everyone going into the building see you.

Maybe walk around nearby places where these people go to lunch.

Whatever.

Then when they call you in for an interview (wear different clothes), they might think "That person looks familiar"???

People judge other people by how they look. And they judge people by the setting they see people in. If you can associate yourself in a positive light in the interviewers mind prior to being interviewed, that might give you a edge over someone else. And the interviewer may not even realize they had seen you before.

Also by visiting a potential place of employment prior to being interviewed, you can see what clothes they wear and how they act. Might give you some ideas on how to dress for the interview.
This is some interesting advice. Where I work now we don't have to wear a suit. The director doesn't wear one either unless he's going to meet with someone in Gov. Additionally, in many of the resident homes and offices I've been to, the env tends to be business casual. I don't have a problem wearing my suit though.

Regarding the above strategy, are you saying I should spend days off hanging around select work places outdoor areas attempting to chat-up people on break? Some of these places, like where I work, we don't even tend to go outside for lunch. I'd also be skeptical about some random new grad running up on me trying to "sell himself". Guess it's ironic because I'm a new grad myself...

Anyway, this advice at least sounds more applicable to my situation compared to posting some billboard. lol. Still, it assume I'd be able to get a call back from the places I'd be hanging around outside of. In the case of private organizations I could remain positive, but when it comes to strict Fed or Prov gov stuff I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM

20 posts, read 17,121 times
A lot of it depends on the type of job and what you bring to the field .

I've never gotten a job by providing a resume. I usually just figure out who the boss is/was, contacted them and told them what I could do for the company and that I was available. I would then get invited and walk out with a job offer. BUT, I was specially trained in my field in Europe, so it made me stand out from the American competition.

If I really wanted a particular job badly (Have been self-employed for 17 years) I would use custom made fortune cookies. I'd create a special website and have a letter (and maybe resume) on the main page. My emphasis would be on the letter, though - the resume would just be something extra.

Then I'd have one of those 12" special fortune cookies prepared, with the website address inside, and shipped to the top guy in the company.

Or if there are several people that make the hiring decisions together, I'd order a dozen normal sized, chocolate covered fortune cookies, with the website address, and have them sent to the department.

I use that a lot in business, when I really need to get someone's attention. I always get a call back

Just an idea

Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
Join groups on Linked In. I joined a group and was contacted, interviewed and offered a job. I'm making some good extra money with this part-time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment