Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:23 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
The military's job is to kill and break things, period. You are either directly involved in the killing and breaking, or you support those who kill and break. The US system of military imperialism is waging war, without consent from the congress, and by extension the american people.

The war machine is getting out of control. People NEED to know what they are supporting. I do not begrudge people who are economically desperate and join the military. The government changed the laws so corporations could more easily move jobs overseas. The only jobs that will be left will be government worker, tsa agent, and military.

The executive branch thinks that congress is ceremonial and that Obama 'takes his orders from the UN'.

Link to Article

Depleted Uranium has a half-life of 4.468 billion years for uranium-238, 700 million years for uranium-235. We are permanently destroying the Middle Eastern countries and areas here at home as well. Do you life near a military proving ground? If so, you could be exposed to DU, via airborne particles.

Depleted Uranium: The Toxic Wastelands with Dr. Doug Rokke - YouTube
Research links rise in Falluja birth defects and cancers to US assault

DU babies, WARNING GRAPHIC DU babies

ANTI-SQUALENE ANTIBODIES LINK
GULF WAR SYNDROME TO ANTHRAX VACCINE
Wow... how to respond and not get an infraction .... Oh well, can't.

Oh wait, one thing ... are you using your rights as a voter to change the things you see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
What about this:

AmeriCorps

I think it mostly attracts younger people than you, but there may be some programs for people your age too.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
The thing about joining the military is to make it work for you. Don't go in and be a mechanic unless that's what you want to do. Don't go in and be a foot soldier either. Or a cook, or any of that crap. Get a job that lets you do something that you wanna do, or at least requires the same skill set.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:48 AM

22 posts, read 62,071 times
Theres actually a few job options that could you potentially research that arent "scams" so to speak. I'm not sure where your from, but in Australia and New Zealand most dairy farm assistants live in small houses on the farm that they work on. They don't usually have to pay rent and sometimes the power is payed for aswell. It's a relativley minimum wage job, but you end up saving a lot not having to pay for normal expenses like that. Plus you have a LOT of space to grow your own vegetables and fruits, something I have had difficulty with city rental properties. In my experience, lots of employers who have seen my CV appreciate that I have worked on farms, as it shows that i'm not too high maintence, a hard worker and willing to get my hands dirty.

Another thing that pops up in my mind is WWOOF farms. These are organic farms around the world that offer free accommodation and food in exchange for a few hours work each day. Its not enough to "save money" but its great if you have a small part time job. It is also great if you have no other options.

I'm not really sure of the specifics of your qualifications, but don't give up hope. I'm sure there is a job out there that suits all your qualifications very well.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
You can go the income- based payment plan. You send them your IRS return and they set the payments based on income. It can last forever.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,242 times
Thanks again for the advice everyone. I am still monitoring this thread, but cannot really add more to it, not to mention it's not easy for me to discuss this issue in the first place.

Quote:
Why are your degrees worthless? I don't think any degree is worthless.
I don't think they are either, but landing the job they were specifically tailored for has turned out to be a waste of time.

Quote:
I'm not really sure of the specifics of your qualifications, but don't give up hope. I'm sure there is a job out there that suits all your qualifications very well.
Thanks for the positivity.

Quote:
Theres actually a few job options that could you potentially research that arent "scams" so to speak.
I've been worried about this myself!

Quote:
RC in a college residence hall.
Not a bad idea. And the luxury of unlimited seconds in the dining hall is a definite plus!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
My student loan servicer tells me I have one deferment left (then it's paycheck garnishment time I guess).

If you need more time, consolidate with another servicer. It's like a refinance, or new loan. Than you'll have more deferment time.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I often see ads looking for live in storage unit managers
I was going to suggest this one as well. Many storage unit places have someone that live on site. Some mobile home parks and small non-chain hotels do as well.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
If you like illegal wars, experimental vaccines, and being exposed to depleted uranium, join the military.

The military is no longer a force for good, for the world or for our own country.
This is a load of crap. I'm a veteran and we had no such thing as "experimental vaccines" or being exposed to uranium. Knock it off.

As for those who think you get veterans preference the rest of your life: I'm here to tell you, many companies don't give a rat's ass.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Why are your degrees worthless? I don't think any degree is worthless.
A philosophy degree or art history degree is about as close to worthless as a degree can get.

I have NEVER EVER in my life seen a job ad requiring or even preferring a degree in either of those two fields.

What's worse is that you are in the hole $20k+ for a truly worthless piece of paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment