Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
The arm forces are your best bet. Pay is not bad free housing learn some useful skills. You need to have no health issues. I would do it myself if I was not handicapped. I wish you nothing but the best of luck. It is very hard in terms of the job market these days.
This is what a lot of my friends have done after graduation. The coast guard and the Navy seem to be the most popular choices. One of my friends, who was an honor student and quite smart, happened to get a not so marketable degree. Didn't take long for him to sign on the dotted line. Can't blame him. It's pretty baron out there with regards to job opportunities in the private sector, and nobody is in any mood to train or give young people a chance to start their career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
You can also do a live in child care or elderly care situation. I saw an ad the other day offering an in-law suite for cleaning and cooking duties. Check craigslist, talk to people.
There are always ads out for senior care that include free room and board as part of the compensations. Some I have seen also are not that bad when taking into account $10/hr PLUS free living. The problem is you're pretty much stuck in that place most of the time. Some senior care facilities also offer a free room, but I don't think the wages are as generous. Usually around 1K a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
There's an eco-campground on St John in the USVI which hires seasonal workers to help out generally for a few months. They get basic accommodation, food and a small salary plus the experience of living and working on a beautiful tropical island. OK, I know that's not feasible for you but I'm sure there are similar situations available stateside which (climate permitting) may even be year-round positions. You won't make a fortune but at least all your basic living expenses will be covered and it'll give you a chance to remove yourself from the "toxic" situation you're in now and get you in a better frame of mind all around. When the mind gets cleaned out the rest of it often just falls into place.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,354 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions & advice.

Military: unfortunately I am too old now (late 40s), otherwise I would probably join either the Coast Guard or the Air Force (I actually nearly joined the military back in the 80s, but on signing day I chickened out & went back to college).

I do enjoy helping people but the thought of staying inside nearly 24/7 almost makes me claustrophobic. I am very much an "outdoor person" (sounds corny I know, but it is true) and while I enjoy being at home after a day's work for relaxation or for socializing, after that's done.....I'm outta there! Trail bike riding, hiking, water sports, astronomy, etc etc.

Eco-campground: sounds interesting. Am actually trying to get out of Texas (except for the Austin-area, the surrounding Hill Country and the Piney Woods region, nothing much here for me).

Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Building things an conveying knowledge to younger people?

Engineering and Teaching and you can't find a job? Sorry, but you ain't looking.

Your OP implied you were a 20-something, not someone that is old enough to know how to find a job, and move out of whatever "toxic" situation they are in.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
If you like the outdoors and are up afraid of horses, you could look at equestrian facilities who oftentimes offer an apartment or trailer for help who feed, muck, groom, and bring in horses and turn them out.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
RC in a college residence hall. You have to deal with college kids and their issues, but you get a place to stay. Most places want folks with degrees in college student personnel or something like that, but you might be able to spin your degrees into an interview.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Try for a staff position at one of the hundreds of summer camps in the Hill Country--it may be too late for this summer though...

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Without getting into too much detail on a searchable public forum, my two (very different) college degrees are now pretty much worthless, one having to do with building things; the other having to do with conveying knowledge to younger humans.

I am also in a very stressful living situation that is helping to prevent me from moving forward on just about any job search (there is one car here for three people & which I do not own, plus its owner does not take proper care of it regulary resulting in days of being trapped at home) or simply getting through the day without some type of energy-draining confrontation with one relative in particular (senility or dementia possibly setting in).

This has been going on for nearly five years now. It's getting bad enough that I regularly experience headaches and nausea - I didn't know why at first until a buddy described what "psychosomatic" meant. Medication does little to alleviate these events. One buddy described my living situation as "toxic".

I've had a few low-paying retail jobs but they were all seasonal. And most paychecks went to paying bills or fixing the car (again, not my car). So never could afford to buy my own.

My student loan servicer tells me I have one deferment left (then it's paycheck garnishment time I guess).

I am umarried at the present time. No kids (ever).

All my good friends are married w/kids and are not able to help me i.e. they have no space for me.

I have run out of ideas for finding any "normal" job AND getting out of here.

----> Does anyone know of any job or job field where they provide housing - and I don't care if it's a shared dorm room type of scenario - along with the job? Pay only needs to be enough to save up for a used car (lump sum payment of around $1500 i.e. no monthly payments) and pay student loan bill along with obviously the basics like food, telephone bill etc.

As the saying goes, extreme problems need extreme solutions, so this is why I am posting this here.

Thanks for reading.

Why are your degrees worthless? I don't think any degree is worthless. I work in a Finance firm and someone here recently told me they had a Psychology degree..maybe you can tailor your resume to your intended job.

Or add a fake job to your resume and a fake company and list a family member or friend as a reference to this "small business"

Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 AM

112 posts, read 352,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
RC in a college residence hall. You have to deal with college kids and their issues, but you get a place to stay. Most places want folks with degrees in college student personnel or something like that, but you might be able to spin your degrees into an interview.
And you are definitely near an excellent Unviersity or two. That might help.

Check all the school districts, the tutoring companies, etc.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM

219 posts, read 439,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Does that mean you also rule out all government jobs or working for any of the major banks or any corporation that has done anything self serving in the past? I don't know what it is about the military that makes people get all holier than thou but it is just another job, albeit a pretty tough one with more risks involved than a typical desk job.

The military's job is to kill and break things, period. You are either directly involved in the killing and breaking, or you support those who kill and break. The US system of military imperialism is waging war, without consent from the congress, and by extension the american people.

The war machine is getting out of control. People NEED to know what they are supporting. I do not begrudge people who are economically desperate and join the military. The government changed the laws so corporations could more easily move jobs overseas. The only jobs that will be left will be government worker, tsa agent, and military.

The executive branch thinks that congress is ceremonial and that Obama 'takes his orders from the UN'.

Quote:
During a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on March 7, 2012, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says that the UN and NATO have ultimate authority over the actions of the US military. He suggests that Congress is a ceremonial relic that is unnecessary and irrelevant to today’s day and age.
Link to Article

Depleted Uranium has a half-life of 4.468 billion years for uranium-238, 700 million years for uranium-235. We are permanently destroying the Middle Eastern countries and areas here at home as well. Do you life near a military proving ground? If so, you could be exposed to DU, via airborne particles.

Depleted Uranium: The Toxic Wastelands with Dr. Doug Rokke - YouTube
Research links rise in Falluja birth defects and cancers to US assault

DU babies, WARNING GRAPHIC DU babies

ANTI-SQUALENE ANTIBODIES LINK
GULF WAR SYNDROME TO ANTHRAX VACCINE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment