U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM

466 posts, read 1,202,959 times

Advertisements

Without getting into too much detail on a searchable public forum, my two (very different) college degrees are now pretty much worthless, one having to do with building things; the other having to do with conveying knowledge to younger humans.

I am also in a very stressful living situation that is helping to prevent me from moving forward on just about any job search (there is one car here for three people & which I do not own, plus its owner does not take proper care of it regulary resulting in days of being trapped at home) or simply getting through the day without some type of energy-draining confrontation with one relative in particular (senility or dementia possibly setting in).

This has been going on for nearly five years now. It's getting bad enough that I regularly experience headaches and nausea - I didn't know why at first until a buddy described what "psychosomatic" meant. Medication does little to alleviate these events. One buddy described my living situation as "toxic".

I've had a few low-paying retail jobs but they were all seasonal. And most paychecks went to paying bills or fixing the car (again, not my car). So never could afford to buy my own.

My student loan servicer tells me I have one deferment left (then it's paycheck garnishment time I guess).

I am umarried at the present time. No kids (ever).

All my good friends are married w/kids and are not able to help me i.e. they have no space for me.

I have run out of ideas for finding any "normal" job AND getting out of here.

----> Does anyone know of any job or job field where they provide housing - and I don't care if it's a shared dorm room type of scenario - along with the job? Pay only needs to be enough to save up for a used car (lump sum payment of around $1500 i.e. no monthly payments) and pay student loan bill along with obviously the basics like food, telephone bill etc.

As the saying goes, extreme problems need extreme solutions, so this is why I am posting this here.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 PM

750 posts, read 1,196,396 times
The arm forces are your best bet. Pay is not bad free housing learn some useful skills. You need to have no health issues. I would do it myself if I was not handicapped. I wish you nothing but the best of luck. It is very hard in terms of the job market these days.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM

192 posts, read 311,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
The arm forces are your best bet.
If you like illegal wars, experimental vaccines, and being exposed to depleted uranium, join the military.

The military is no longer a force for good, for the world or for our own country.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM

8,266 posts, read 11,902,883 times
Depending on your skills possibly manager of a small apartment building, or live in companion for someone who needs help with daily living?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,301,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
The arm forces are your best bet. Pay is not bad free housing learn some useful skills. You need to have no health issues. I would do it myself if I was not handicapped. I wish you nothing but the best of luck. It is very hard in terms of the job market these days.

If I wasnt medically screwed up, I would have done the same when I graduated college, instead of working an assortment of underemployed positions, I probably would have been a few ranks up in the officer path by now in the Navy or Coast Guard, and been way better off financially, and had veteran hiring preference for the rest of my life if I ever did leave the service.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:23 PM

750 posts, read 1,196,396 times
I agree with everything you said random dude. I would have done the same thing. As it stands now I have been underemployed when I can find work. All dead end positions no future and college debt on top of that. The whole thing has been a joke.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 PM

4,919 posts, read 17,937,752 times
DubbleT hits on a good option, but many seem to want some level of experience in management or maintainance. However, I often see ads looking for live in storage unit managers or caretakers. usually it mentions some or no experience required. You get a small apartment and take care of the place. Not sure what they pay but probably small because you get the apartment.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,461,998 times
You can also do a live in child care or elderly care situation. I saw an ad the other day offering an in-law suite for cleaning and cooking duties. Check craigslist, talk to people.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM

2,711 posts, read 2,584,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
The military is no longer a force for good, for the world or for our own country.
Does that mean you also rule out all government jobs or working for any of the major banks or any corporation that has done anything self serving in the past? I don't know what it is about the military that makes people get all holier than thou but it is just another job, albeit a pretty tough one with more risks involved than a typical desk job.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:07 PM

624 posts, read 786,311 times
totally agree with kate, people are looking for babysitters or childsitters all the time.

Lije look for ads like these listed:

Free room in exchange for babysitting (Costa Mesa)

Date: 2012-06-05, 10:45AM PDT
Reply to: dhrpx-3059041759@hous.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Free room or reduced rent with Christian Family in exchange for part-time babysitting and/or Part-time office help. If you work or attend school part-time that is fine. If you work a full-time day job, then your schedule will be too busy for this position. We are open to a short-term or long-term commitment. The ideal candidate should be able to commit to a minimum of 3 months. Reliable vehicle is a plus but not mandatory for this opportunity. Our clean newly remodeled home is located near South Coast Plaza. Home borders Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, and Irvine in nice neighborhood. Available immediately. Female preferred. Please respond by email with your name and phone number to be considered. You will be contacted for an interview. Thank you!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Last edited by laurenaus; 06-06-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment