Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM

56 posts, read 185,174 times

Advertisements

So let me give a little background on my situation...

I graduated college a year ago, with a degree in Communication. Towards the end, I really didn't want it, but I was already pretty much finished with it so I decided to just get it done. Looking back, I should have quit while I was ahead and did Nursing, instead of wasting time with the Communication degree. Oh well, lesson learned.

So, after graduation, I had the hardest time finding a job. After months and months of searching, I finally got hired somewhere...a boring full-time office job, 12.50/hr, NO benefits!(not even PTO), with Hitler-esque owners. I've been here for 8.5 months and I've reached my breaking point with this company. I'm not making the money I want to be making & I'm really dying to go back to school and just do Nursing like I should've done in the first place. So I've registered for a class in the Fall semester at a local college so I can finish the pre-reqs to get into a Nursing program. Now, I can't do this full-time job thing forever.

Eventually I'm going to need a part-time job, that pays well, as I have now accrued a car payment, cell phone bill, rent, etc. A bartender friend of mine suggested I get into that line of work. My boyfriend is not keen on the idea, he really doesn't want me to bartend and I can understand why. Also considering the fact that he works a standard M-F schedule with weekends off and I'm sure I'll be doing the complete opposite.

However, I have my heart set on going back to school. I do have to look out for myself. I'm just in a weird place right now and everything is extremely confusing! I am afraid to quit my job to bartend...I've never done it before and all of my work experience is clerical. I just really need some objective advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Is this bartender friend of yours going to get you a job bartending with their employer? I am not trying to be rude, but I assume you don't have any bartending experience, so why is a bar manager going to hire you to be a bartender?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
do you actually want to be a nurse or are you just going that route because "everyone says" there are a lot of jobs? you've had steady employment for a while. start looking for other jobs in a different field that pay better. its easier to get a job when you have a job. there are plenty of nursing school grads struggling to find jobs that pay $12/hr :/.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 PM

I have already been hired somewhere as a bartender.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 PM

My ultimate goal is not to be a Nurse, but either a NP or PA...I already know for a fact that's what I want to do with my life. It's just a matter of getting there, I guess.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermeetsanend View Post
I have already been hired somewhere as a bartender.

Good for you. Only you will know if the bartending gig will pay enough money for you to quit your job and go back to school.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermeetsanend View Post
My ultimate goal is not to be a Nurse, but either a NP or PA...I already know for a fact that's what I want to do with my life. It's just a matter of getting there, I guess.
Now what makes you think that this is the goal for you?

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM

630 posts, read 1,048,658 times
Why is everyone questioning his desire to work in the medical field?? Maybe he just wants to?? Sometimes the negativity and desire to make everyone doubt themselves on this forum is disgusting. PA is a great gig and pays well and you don't have to deal with the BS and headache that comes with being an MD. If you want to be a NP I understand the route you want to take but if you want to be a PA then just take the prereqs for that, volunteer, and then apply. It's very competitive but I'm sure you know that just ace all the prereqs, work at night study and take classes during the day and vice versa.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
You know you can make good part time money just bartending at parties and other events like weddings which are generally on evenings and weekends. You don't need to become a full on bartender in a bar or restaurant. I have friends who did that in college. I have a relative who also deals blackjack at parties.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
Why is everyone questioning his desire to work in the medical field?? Maybe he just wants to?? Sometimes the negativity and desire to make everyone doubt themselves on this forum is disgusting. PA is a great gig and pays well and you don't have to deal with the BS and headache that comes with being an MD. If you want to be a NP I understand the route you want to take but if you want to be a PA then just take the prereqs for that, volunteer, and then apply. It's very competitive but I'm sure you know that just ace all the prereqs, work at night study and take classes during the day and vice versa.

Exactly...and thank you! I am 26 years old, not 16. I have done plenty of research and have worked in medical offices before. I know that is the field I prefer to work in.

I guess my underlying question is if bartending a safe way to get through college and not get distracted? Does it pay well, etc.? Maybe I am just confusing myself for no reason at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment