Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
OMG. What are all those negative thoughts doing in your post?????

Eliminate anyone in real life who has anything negative to say -- and put anyone on this forum who has negative comments or questions on IGNORE.
I don't want to be a debbie downer but none of those signs that she mentioned are a guarantee of anything. A lot of interviewers say positive things but a lot of candidates still do not end up getting the job even after all the positive feedback and this is including very positive references. The thing is you can't really trust the interviewers these days since they tend to lie a lot and mislead candidates. This isn't to say the OP didn't get an offer or isn't going to proceed to the next round, she could very well be the top candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I don't want to be a debbie downer but none of those signs that she mentioned are a guarantee of anything. A lot of interviewers say positive things but a lot of candidates still do not end up getting the job even after all the positive feedback and this is including very positive references. The thing is you can't really trust the interviewers these days since they tend to lie a lot and mislead candidates. This isn't to say the OP didn't get an offer or isn't going to proceed to the next round, she could very well be the top candidate.

What's the purpose of putting a post like this in the OP's thread, where she really needs positive thoughts and vibes?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You did all you could, and you did more than many would. I know how you feel, I can't even read books in which animals die, I am traumatized after. But he felt love, compassion, warmth, and safety. Those are the basic needs of ANYTHING with feelings. You did a good thing. Yes, you lost the little guy, but you gave him comfort. That is the best thing you could have done. I mean, you talked to him for TWO HOURS!!! That's love and devotion. I am betting he DID fight for you, I bet he tried to live, he was just too weak. God works in mysterious ways. That is a cliche for a reason. You may never know the impact you had just by caring for the little guy.

LOL...I hear you on that one. Speaking to God is sometimes such an oops, as He knows what you said. Although He also knows our weaknesses without us saying anything.
Thanks again, bunny. I'm pretty positive he did fight for it because of me. I think, when I got home, he just was ready to die but when he heard me, when he felt me touch him, when he "listened" to me chatter at him, he lifted his head, albeit slowly, and made an effort. I wrapped him up in a washcloth and held him for six hours. Every time I thought he was giving up, I talked more to him, coaxing him, "Come on little guy, help is on the way, come on, you're so close, you can do this, just hang in there...." for hours. But, in the end, after six hours, he was just exhausted. I HOPE I brought him comfort. I HOPE he knows someone cared about him and I HOPE he knows he was not abandoned or alone. All I can think about is how he followed me when I tried to "release" him. Ok, baby squirrel, let me try.

Quote:
OMG. What are all those negative thoughts doing in your post?????

Eliminate anyone in real life who has anything negative to say -- and put anyone on this forum who has negative comments or questions on IGNORE.
I know what you mean and this is something I have been doing in my life for a few years now. There was a point when I realized, "Man! What is with all the negative people I know? That's IT! I need positive helpful people, not these down in the mouth, 'life sucks' type people." I've eliminated a lot of them...a LOT. Listen, I've had a lot of...we'll call it bad luck for now cause I'm not going to hijack my own thread discussing it all...and many have been overwhelmingly UNsupportive. I am very positive thinking for everyone else...I'm your biggest cheerleader. For me? I'm used to being told, "that will never happen for you" and other such sundries so I don't allow myself to get excited about things until I know they are going to happen. That is something I have to work on...it's a long process eliminating and changing the way you think. I'm working on it, have been for awhile. I do know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Normally I would agree with you but I don't think that is the case here. As I said, she really grilled me and really laid it on thick how this was not a job for a lot of people, that some think they can do it but can't handle some of the stringent and strict atmosphere. ALL I can hope is that when I fought back and told her WHY I wanted this job, no matter what she threw at me, is going to be what gets me hired. I fought for this. Every time she told me something that most don't like, I told her, "that does not matter to me".

I don't CARE if I have no windows. Most science is lab stuff and you don't have windows to gawk out of all day. I told her my education desires. She asked me would I be going full time. I told her no, I would work there full time and do the classes at night or online. I told her I only have a few left to go to get that degree and that I would be an ever BIGGER asset to the company, then. I told her this IS my interest. I told her WHY as well as why it personally affects me, what they do.

I told her I have no intention of leaving if I do get hired. I told her what I want to do that is in relation to this job. I told her what I knew about the company, why I want to work there, why the job I have now is NOT what I want to do. I don't dislike the current job, but that was my answer for, "What is the most difficult thing about your current job?" Nothing is really difficult it's just not what I want to do with my life.

I told her my boss knows I'm looking for work, he knows this isn't my "life plan", he knows. I told her I didn't even look for the job, it was pretty much given to me because of someone I knew when I first got here. I gave her a comparison of a question someone might ask at my current p/t job to something people hear that is devastating in their lives and THAT was my motivation,no matter which job it is, no matter how stringent or strict or laborious or routine the job is, as far as I was concerned, each job there is extremely important because they all play a role to reach the big goal and THAT is what I would be thinking about while working there, not about lack of windows or the monotony of it all. The goal to do what we can so that others don't have to hear that and have it be such a devastating thing for them.

So, when she tells me, at the end of all of that, that she is going to check references, I sincerely do not believe this is like other places where they just blow smoke up your arse.

This is a very good company. They do not ignore people like other places do. Even if you get rejected, they let you know. And the very last thing I think this company does is "tell people what they want to hear". I think they do quite the opposite because it's NOT easy. GREAT place to work but NOT an easy one.

Quote:
What's the purpose of putting a post like this in the OP's thread, where she really needs positive thoughts and vibes?
Keep those positive thoughts and vibes coming my dear. They do help.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Although some people might think that checking references is something that can be done quickly in an hour, that's not usually the case.

First, you don't know if the company's HR dept does the calls themselves, or, more likely, do they contract this task out to a vendor? Many companies contract this out, to ensure their records show nothing that can look like illegal discrimination. So a company hands over the person's info and references to the vendor, it goes into someone's inbox, that person may or may not be int hat day, that person may or may not be tired up that day...

Then you have to know that most people who serve as professional references are busy people who aren't usually reached on the first phone call. I've been a reference for lots of people: the candidate calls me or e-mails me to let me know I'll be getting a reference call, and several days later, I get the call. The call is usually buried in 11 other voicemail messages. When I return the call later that day or the next day, I get voice mail. At some point, the vendor reaches the reference. Multiply all this by three (the usual number of references checked) and you have a drawn-out period of time.

Then if the vendor is also doing the background checks (which might include all kinds of things depending on the field and position--criminal, driver's abstract, fraud & exclusion, licenses, degrees & transcripts, credit checks, etc) you have to add in the time that takes.

Then whan that's all done, the vendor sends their full report to the company's HR dept. It takes a long time, and annoyingly long time, to hire someone, even when the HR personnel and the vendor are efficient. then you have to figure that each of the people involved maybe aren't 100% efficient.

This process is frustrating to the candidate and the hiring manager, but there's little that can be done to speed up the process without compromising the due diligence required in checking out a candidate.

So what I'm saying in a long-winded way, is: don't despair because you have not heard back already.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Although some people might think that checking references is something that can be done quickly in an hour, that's not usually the case.

First, you don't know if the company's HR dept does the calls themselves, or, more likely, do they contract this task out to a vendor? Many companies contract this out, to ensure their records show nothing that can look like illegal discrimination. So a company hands over the person's info and references to the vendor, it goes into someone's inbox, that person may or may not be int hat day, that person may or may not be tired up that day...

Then you have to know that most people who serve as professional references are busy people who aren't usually reached on the first phone call. I've been a reference for lots of people: the candidate calls me or e-mails me to let me know I'll be getting a reference call, and several days later, I get the call. The call is usually buried in 11 other voicemail messages. When I return the call later that day or the next day, I get voice mail. At some point, the vendor reaches the reference. Multiply all this by three (the usual number of references checked) and you have a drawn-out period of time.

Then if the vendor is also doing the background checks (which might include all kinds of things depending on the field and position--criminal, driver's abstract, fraud & exclusion, licenses, degrees & transcripts, credit checks, etc) you have to add in the time that takes.

Then whan that's all done, the vendor sends their full report to the company's HR dept. It takes a long time, and annoyingly long time, to hire someone, even when the HR personnel and the vendor are efficient. then you have to figure that each of the people involved maybe aren't 100% efficient.

This process is frustrating to the candidate and the hiring manager, but there's little that can be done to speed up the process without compromising the due diligence required in checking out a candidate.

So what I'm saying in a long-winded way, is: don't despair because you have not heard back already.
Like I said in an earlier post, I was giving my point of view knowing full well there was her point of view that I just did not know. So, what you say here, makes perfect sense.

And again, as I said, and have to keep telling myself, they are not going to stop their work day just to cater to me and my undermployed free time. They have a job, they have other things to do besides concentrate on me. Someone mentioned this earlier in this thread and I keep telling myself that over and over.

While I want it to be all about me, it's NOT all about me.

I am speaking from a place where I have more free time than I want. I can imagine HR has a lot to do and again, I'm positive I'm not the only person who has applied and I'm positive that they have many references to call. As I said, they are opening a new facility and hiring 200+ people.

That's a LOT of work!

Just have to be patient and continue applying other places until I get a phone call one day telling me I'm hired. I hope it's this place but I can't stop my life, looking for work, pinning all hopes on this. I hope, I really do, but I must continue on.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
^^^
I am pulling for you on this! If the place is hiring 200+ people at once, they are overloaded with applications, reference checks to be done, etc.! I am hoping you hear soon from them and GET THE JOB!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Good luck, Three Wolves in Snow!

And that was very kind of you to do what you could for that poor little squirrel.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Three Wolves

Are you saying that the contact number HR has for your references is their personal number? I;m confused why you keep saying that your references have a job to do and can't worry about your situation. I was under the assumption that HR would be contacting your references at their job?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Three Wolves

Are you saying that the contact number HR has for your references is their personal number? I;m confused why you keep saying that your references have a job to do and can't worry about your situation. I was under the assumption that HR would be contacting your references at their job?
I have never said anything of the sort. I am talking about HR having a job to do and isn't going to spend their entire day on me.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have never said anything of the sort. I am talking about HR having a job to do and isn't going to spend their entire day on me.
Oh Ok, I was worried for a second. Well I'm waiting on calls myself from certain companies and it's best just to lose yourself in one of your hobbies and not think about it. I have a list of 6 companies I want to appear on my caller ID when the phone rings and nothing else matters, not even a call from my mother-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment