U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM

10,514 posts, read 8,987,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
At least you were able to upload your resume. I wasted over 2 hours on an application because my resume would not upload. Only reason I kept trying is that even though the hiring manager had my resume he insisted that everyone has to have a Taleo application in the system before he can schedule interviews.
At first I couldn't because it will not accept Apple Mac applications. Had to send it in several times as a "doc" until it took. With their incompetence, there's no guarantee that it's necessarily legible on the receiving end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM

615 posts, read 633,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Precisely.

Taleo is just the largest of the resume black-holes. You can apply all you want, but you'll never hear anything in most cases.

It is also often a clunky system full of stupid bugs, including: when you click "go back to search results" after looking at a job, sometimes you get kicked all the way back to the first page of the search results, job searches that don't really work and show too many or too few results, and our favorite - the resume uploader that then requires you to enter your resume a second time, piece by piece, into certain special fields (education, work experience, etc.) It makes me wonder why people even care about "resume writing" in this era where each resume will be broken down into pieces by the online systems, scanned for keywords, and then (in most cases) ignored. You may as well hand them a piece of paper with contact info at the top and a long list of buzzwords!
I hate that. Why do you want my resume if I'm just going to have to input again piece by piece. That's what makes resume's take forever. Everything is right there. My skill set, my work history and my education, all on a sheet of paper all pretty like.

But no you need me to fill out this time consuming application.

And I was shocked when I discovered they don't even look at the majority of applications that come through. That they actually assign points to keywords. I was just like great, now I have to load my resume up with corporate Jargon. But I'm very success oriented and aligned to time-management details.

Last edited by KnownUnknown; 06-11-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,557,698 times
Finally figured out with Taleo that you need to clean your cache and history before you start inputting anything on it. Never got my resume uploaded and had the hiring manager getting ticked off at HR about how the system was working.

Despite all of that I did get an interview out of it, but it was only because a friend of mine at the company shot my resume directly to the hiring manager.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 1,855,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I hate that. Why do you want my resume if I'm just going to have to input again piece by piece. That's what makes resume's take forever. Everything is right there. My skill set, my work history and my education, all on a sheet of paper all pretty like.

And I was shocked when I discovered they don't even look at the majority of applications that come through. That they actually assign points to keywords. I was just like great, now I have to load my resume up with corporate Jargon. But I'm very success oriented and aligned to time-management details.
Yep, it's all bull. Getting a job these days comes down to luck, connections, and playing silly games... and more luck. Skills and work ethic do not matter.

Supposedly, some places will reject applications that have *too many* keywords that match, since that means the person just copied the keywords. I'm not sure how true this is, but it wouldn't surprise me - nothing is good enough for today's tightwad "job creators!"

Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 AM

639 posts, read 340,150 times
I haven't encountered Taleo pre-hiring, but several agencies I temp through use it for paperless time slip/payroll. Never had an issue with this aspect of Taleo

Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 PM

8,624 posts, read 11,630,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
I agree. It takes 15 to 30 mins to fill out an application that will most likely not even be seen by HR. The best way to get a job is to know someone, have a direct HR contact, recruiters, or sheer luck.
I totally agree!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM

2,527 posts, read 1,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post

Thats a big problem for a lot of online apps.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,493,137 times
One time I spent over an hour completing a very detailed Taleo application. Two minutes after completing the application, I was sent a rejection email.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,853,189 times
Default Long live...

The days where the fax machine was king...

Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM

212 posts, read 302,471 times
Worst HR system, ever. Taleo is hated universally, apparently. If you google their name you will find blog after blog of people hating on them... and it's well deserved!

I tried once to apply for a job using their system. Wasted an hour, putting things in painstakingly, and then poof. Gone. Started over, then gave up. My feeling now is that if a company is that clueless as to rely on Taleo to get applicants, then I don't want to work for them. Taleo screens out all but a handful of people. There are people who are rejected instantly, and their resumes are never seen by a human. Then there is a limbo area, where the resumes are in there, but not sent as the top candidates. then the HR people only see the ones that the computer algorithm has deemed worthy. Also, they apparently "blacklist" candidates after your first application, you are often rejected by the system regardless of what you apply for in the future (receiving a rejection email within minutes at night, on a weekend.)

This is NO way to hire people to work with you 40+ hours a week. think about it. these programs screen out all but 10-20 applicants usually. But if you ask hiring managers the thing they look for in interviews, above all, is how you fit in. How you'd be to work with every day and probably spend more time with than you do your family. Computers cannot measure that. Of the top 10, what are the odds that more than one of them is going to be a good fit on all levels?

The majority of applicants don't apply via Taleo more than 3 times, if that. And after that? We just avoid any application that forces you to go through it. I think I also backed out when it required me to furnish a social security number. As IF I'm going to give that out online. 3,900 companies+ now use it for hiring, and most of the big companies do, while ignoring the complete train wreck it is, and how it's not really delivering the best candidates in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment