Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep! But since the corporations - who don't owe anyone anything, or so we're supposed to believe - benefit, it's okay!

What bugs me is that the guy was led on to believe it was a standard, full-time position, and then he has the rug yanked out from under him by a company that's clearly being cheap.

Do we really want to work in a nation where everyone is a temp worker? Oh, sure, the corporations love that idea, but is it what we the people want?
I can see the guy being upset about being led on. If it upsets him he should just move on and not accept the job. It's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You left out the part where the employee gets a job with a paycheck. How is that getting hose?
Wow, we should all be so honored to be abused and bent over in exchange for a paycheck. What a GREAT opportunity.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Wow, we should all be so honored to be abused and bent over in exchange for a paycheck. What a GREAT opportunity.
Getting an offer is not being abused. He has the right to refuse if he feels it is not appropriate. Maybe the problem is that people are relying on others to offer them "GREAT" opportunities instead of making opportunities for themselves.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I would take the job but I'd make it very clear to the company that I'd like to put their best interests at heart but it's hard to do that when their name isn't on the paycheck and you aren't receiving the benefits of working for them. There is a difference between saying "I work for Kelly Services" or "I work for GE".

Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 AM

106 posts, read 309,385 times
Quote:
Getting an offer is not being abused. He has the right to refuse if he feels it is not appropriate. Maybe the problem is that people are relying on others to offer them "GREAT" opportunities instead of making opportunities for themselves.
I don't even know how to respond to your statement. So finishing school with a bachelors and taking time to interview for a potential full time permanent job ISN'T making a good opportunity for yourself?

This is simply a case of the company recognizing the employment situation and taking advantage of it

Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
There's also a difference between giving praise to a decent employer, and being an abject apologist for a dishonest one.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoran View Post
I don't even know how to respond to your statement. So finishing school with a bachelors and taking time to interview for a potential full time permanent job ISN'T making a good opportunity for yourself?

This is simply a case of the company recognizing the employment situation and taking advantage of it
I agree with a few of your statements. This has happened to me and of course you are happy at first because it's a job and hopefully his friend is getting a decent salary. After a while his friend will begin to take issue with several things. His benefits won't be as great as the permanent employees because we all know staffing agency benefits are far from good and they will cost alot more than if you were a permanent employee. He'll see he's working just as hard and/or harder than the perm employees but they'll be making more than him. Temp agencies don't recognize company paid holidays so if your company is closed for Presidents Day but the temp agency doesn't recognize it as a holiday, you will not be paid for that day unless your manager agrees to pay you for the hours. I would say the only good thing about going through a temp agency for your employer is the weekly paycheck while the perm people get paid every two weeks.

The OP should tell his friend to take the job if he wants it but keep looking for a perm job.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I'd take the job but DEFINITELY keep looking.

If for no other reason -- that if he gets another offer (that he's willing to take of course and not just to have one as a bluff) he can then go to the COMPANY, and say I've got another offer, I love it here but if you want me, you'll have bring me onto YOUR books (none of this temp agency BS)

If it takes 3-6 month to get that alternate offer -- by then the company should know how he works, and if they were planning to bring him on to them anyway, they'd no that by then. Of course they can always give him the -- it's the wrong time of year, or 'our budget isn't done for next year yet' stall. He'd have to decide at that time what to do.

Also, who knows if he's been looking one of the jobs he's already applied for could come through at any time, may not even be 3 months.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Please, like Obama is of any help. He thinks the private sector is doing fine and India is a net producer of American jobs.

He is the poster child for the need for a Federal Recall Amendment and what happens when someone is not hired based on experience and qualifications.

Usually I agree with most of your postings but this I definitely don't agree with. The jobs starting packing long before President Obama came into office (I should know I was part of the poor group of grads who realized a year before graduation the jobs were drying up and being replaced with temp work). And if we are going by President's being elected based on experience and qualifications our leadership from 1/2001-1/2009 would have been run out of town year 2.

But this has nothing to do with the President and more with companies trying to nickel and dime people the best way they can and still feel like they are helping the economy by hiring new workers.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Again, the employer has ALL of the cards in the "employment agreement".

Sure, the OP can refuse the job. What is the end result of that? The OP starves, and the business finds another sucker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment