Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Does this type irritate you? There are some employees, typically ones who work in large entities, who have a limited scope and are perfectly happy with that. They have blinders on and don't know much. You can tell they don't know much by embellished answers, repeating something that is factual several times when that only answers part of the question, sounding professional as a substitute for delivering the information informally (which would be preferable), and/or are defensive. They are incapable of saying "I don't know" or "I would have to find out who has that answer."

In large places, these types can hide out. They are among the more insufferable employees. Have you dealt with, or do you deal with this type of co-worker or subordinate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Bullsh*t artists is what you are describing. Yes, I have seen them many times and they are a PITA for sure. They have pulled the wool over someone up the ladder's eyes so their peers are left having to deal with them and trying to not offend the person who put them where they should not be.

I'm a union person (Dispatcher for a public utility) and I have seen a few management people who fit that description. Nothing worse than someone who will not admit they don't know something. It puts everyone in a bad position and can put people in my business in a life threatening situation.

I had a new boss once who came in and told us straight out that he knows nothing of what we do, but he does know how to administer an office but would appreciate help in the technical side of our business. I told him "I like you already". A man who was not afraid to say "I don't know".

Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Yes, this describes the financial controller in my office to a tee.....

Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Here's a small selection of the idiots I had to tolerate over my 10 years with my former employer (a large defense contractor):

1) A bum engineer who sat next to me for 8 years. He also came in 2 to 2.5 hours late, took a 2 hour lunch, and left with everyone else. He never answered his phone or emails, would regularly skip out on his meetings, was never at his desk, and refused to do his job. On the few sad occassions I had to work with him, I had to do all his work in addition to my own. His engineering "skills" were staggeringly bad: he didn't realize paint had thickness, he thought that objects would not be affected by the wind if they had holes in them, and so on. He's completely useless and still employed there... I think his dad was a manager of some sort.

2) A raving madman who sat a few cubes over from me for about 6 years. This hate-filled nutjob spent all day screaming obscenities at people and laughing at the misfortunes of others. His favorite thing to do was to give people bad information so he could laugh at them later. As he put it, he "liked to watch people suffer." He's still there, too, since he was good friends with several even more dangerous pyscho-managers who since retired.

3) A useless twerp son of VP who was delusional about his own abilities. He truly believed that he invented several pieces of technology that existed decades before he was born, and in his free time one week, he broke into a rival's office at work and vandalized it so badly the place was basically trashed. He still works there, for obvious reasons.

4) A "senior mechanical engineer" who can't use *any* CAD tool, can't create Powerpoint presentations, and who doesn't know how to use a spellchecker or even put titles on his emails. His design legacy is mostly products that catch fire unexpectedly. I had to clean up several mistakes made by this clown over the years, and he still works there, despite his only skills being buck-passing and back-stabbing. His wife is a big-wig manager, so there you go...

5) A rodent-like "mechanical engineer" who spent his whole career hiding on top-secret jobs with no requirements, timeline, or budget. Must be nice... and he still works there. The last time I had to work with him, he had spent years on a project that clearly violated the laws of physics... it was cancelled years later, thankfully.

6) A crazy "advisory engineer" who was regularly seen loudly arguing with himself in the hallways. He also doesn't wash his hands after using the restroom, and he frequently erupts into insane screaming fits with his coworkers. Still considered a "valuable team member" even though I never saw him contribute anything.

7) A screaming manager who ran one program I was on into the ground. When we presented a mountain of evidence that proved that the job basically violated the laws of physics and would never work without major changes, he forbid us from making design changes, cursed us out, and said, "think about it harder!" I didn't realize thinking would change the laws of physics. He was later promoted for his brilliance.

8) An engineering VP who was arrested for vandalizing almost $10,000 in private property a few years back. The company gave him a slap on the wrist and basically ignored his criminal actions. He still works there.

Yeah, I'm angry - and for good reason. These clowns are a disgrace to the engineering profession and are horrible human beings, as well. But they have connections, so all is forgiven. When layoffs hit, the unconnected people like me - people who wasted years cleaning up the messes made by these morons - were booted out. And they wonder why the place is still in a death spiral... gee, I can't imagine...

Last edited by Rambler123; 06-14-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Does this type irritate you? There are some employees, typically ones who work in large entities, who have a limited scope and are perfectly happy with that. They have blinders on and don't know much. You can tell they don't know much by embellished answers, repeating something that is factual several times when that only answers part of the question, sounding professional as a substitute for delivering the information informally (which would be preferable), and/or are defensive. They are incapable of saying "I don't know" or "I would have to find out who has that answer."

In large places, these types can hide out. They are among the more insufferable employees. Have you dealt with, or do you deal with this type of co-worker or subordinate?
What a nice way of calling them "know it alls". You, sir, deserve the title of "Tactful" today.

How do I deal with them? I don't. I used to. I used to "fight" them but it doesn't get you anywhere. So now, I just ignore them and do my own work. I don't care to engage these insipid twits and use up my precious time anymore.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What a nice way of calling them "know it alls". You, sir, deserve the title of "Tactful" today.

How do I deal with them? I don't. I used to. I used to "fight" them but it doesn't get you anywhere. So now, I just ignore them and do my own work. I don't care to engage these insipid twits and use up my precious time anymore.
Not trying to be tactful. Where are you from anyway, Seattle? I'm trying to be honest. Such a person exists.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:39 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
YES I do have them in my office. Here I am a temp busting my behind to get a permanent position, and here you are...a Credit Analyst in training who doesn't know anything and asks me questions..

Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
I guess since you said coworker or subordinate, Ill leave out incompetent bosses.

However, I did work with this project manager at my last job, who had no clue how to do almost anything at all, did substandard work, and consistantly said "I dont know" about 400 times at each one of the one billion meetings she scheduled, even though it was her job to have the answers.

I once got bitched at because I dared fix her work, and she cried to my boss about it.

She somehow managed to float through that company for 5 years, and I think shes still there.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
From what I've seen the hiring process particularly the interviewing process selects for BSing ability and selects against better qualified people who don't thrive on spin and nonsense. Until that changes companies will be filled with politicians and incompetents. Better get used to it.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
From what I've seen the hiring process particularly the interviewing process selects for BSing ability and selects against better qualified people who don't thrive on spin and nonsense. Until that changes companies will be filled with politicians and incompetents. Better get used to it.
And expect the typical nepotism and dodgeball management to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment