Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,542 times

Advertisements

Keep your options open. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING they are telling you at this job now. They can string you along and tell you in October they want you and you will miss out if you don't keep an eye out for a real job.

But don't have an attitude.

Do your job.

If you get an interview, explain to them nicely that yes, you need time off for an interview since you do not have a permanent job at this company. They are supposed to understand this is the case with a temp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Keep your options open. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING they are telling you at this job now. They can string you along and tell you in October they want you and you will miss out if you don't keep an eye out for a real job.

Do your job.

If you get an interview, explain to them nicely that yes, you need time off for an interview since you do not have a permanent job at this company. They are supposed to understand this is the case with a temp.
This is what I thought! And what I always believed.

One good thing that has come out of temping for different companies is that I realize the type of environment I would most like to work in. And I would rather do Accounting work than Finance work.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post

Do your job.

Agree, they can also tell the OP this assignment is ending next week, I wouldn't count on October especially since there has been a change in managment.

They could decide the project is ending sooner or they don't need you through October.

I would ask for work and if it's not forthcoming or you find that you only have 5 hours worth of work for an 8 hour day, use that downtime to job search and send out resumes.

But don't quit.

Do the work that is given you, but if you find they don't have enough for you to do, then use that time to your advantage and get paid for it.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
As a temp finding a perm job should always be your part time occupation.
Yep! I had a friend working a p/t job she hated. Her idea of looking was to fire off one or two online apps and then lounge by the pool the rest of the time. She actually got defensive when I brought up this concept.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,017 times
Your situation sounds like my own, somewhat. What I have done is just kept asking for more work and the work they gave me I would work on it until it was perfect. I would stretch the work out so it would last me all day. Now that I have been turning in consistently good work they gave me work that I am responsible for completing and tracking on a daily basis. It still doesn't take all day to do it, but, I feel much more productive than I did before.

ETA: Being that this is a temp job you should continue your job search. If you get an interview take 1/2 day off and offer to make up the time you miss by working extra hours throughout the week. This way you won't come up short on your paycheck and the company still gets the labor they have paid for. I did this when I had an interview and it worked out great. Of course, I didn't tell my agency or the company I needed time off to interview. I used another excuse, instead.

Last edited by knt1229; 06-18-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I think you should start applying and then go on the interviews that you really want to. I would do a half-day or go during your lunch.

Thats the thing, my lunch is not long enough to do anything, and I have absolutely no idea how theyd react to me taking half days off several times a week or a month. At very minimum, Im just going to lose that money, which I can ill afford to, and at worst, Ill get let go from this job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Also, why don’t you tell your recruiter you are extremely grateful for the work they helped you find and then ask if they have anything that is going to go permanent in their jobs list?
I actually called my agent the second day I was here and said that this was not a good fit at all, that was almost 3 months ago. Ive talked to her a few times since then, always telling her this is not a good fit, and I want something else.....no dice.

Then again, cant imagine why shed have any motivation to switch me anywhere. The place Im farmed out to likes my work from what I understand, which means they are happy, and shes making money off my back, and thats all that really matters to her. I know this, Im not an idiot. Between the client, and me, I am the one that is replaceable, and therefore my value is slim to none.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
That is a tough situation. If it were me and the temp job was making it impossible to find a perm job I'd save as much as possible and quit or let them know I was looking and give the company 3 choices:

1. You can make me perm.
2. You can accommodate my job search by letting me take time off for interviews
3. I'll quit right now and you can have fun trying to find someone competent from a temp agency that will work under these circumstances.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
ETA: Being that this is a temp job you should continue your job search. If you get an interview take 1/2 day off and offer to make up the time you miss by working extra hours throughout the week. This way you won't come up short on your paycheck and the company still gets the labor they have paid for. I did this when I had an interview and it worked out great. Of course, I didn't tell my agency or the company I needed time off to interview. I used another excuse, instead.
This is actually a great idea! I always usually just suffer the loss. Why didn't I ever think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Then again, cant imagine why shed have any motivation to switch me anywhere. The place Im farmed out to likes my work from what I understand, which means they are happy, and shes making money off my back, and thats all that really matters to her. I know this, Im not an idiot. Between the client, and me, I am the one that is replaceable, and therefore my value is slim to none.
Of course that is why she doesn't care!

Can you at least speak with another recruiter?

This happened to me at my last temp job. I did not get along with my recruiter. Thank goodness I was able to collect UI from that assignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is a tough situation. If it were me and the temp job was making it impossible to find a perm job I'd save as much as possible and quit or let them know I was looking and give the company 3 choices:

1. You can make me perm.
2. You can accommodate my job search by letting me take time off for interviews
3. I'll quit right now and you can have fun trying to find someone competent from a temp agency that will work under these circumstances.
Should I start taking the time off for the interviews first? And should I add this job to my resume with a note that it is through a staffing firm?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
By all means keep looking for a permanent job. If you are lucky enough to get an interview, try to schedule for early, late, or at lunch. If you can't... get a toothache or something.

And make sure the contract house you are with knows you want permanent work and are still looking.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Temps can be let go at any time for any reason and as a temp you have fewer rights than an employee. One day you may receive a phone call from the temp agency saying "thank you for all the hard work you have done for us but don't come in tomorrow". It is an incredibly insecure job so you should always be looking. The thing is the needs of the temp are determined by the needs of the company so after your project is over, that could be the end even if they put you as "temp to hire" which doesn't guarantee that you will be brought on board. Here is a tip: Never trust your employers to ever look out for your interests.
It happened to me 2 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment