Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,328,538 times

Advertisements

I am not allowed to drink or eat in the labs (except for the occasions we do tastings I work in a food R&D lab). However, I don't need the boss's permission to quickly grab a drink from the water cooler or stop by my office or break room for a soft drink or something. There is nothing that inhibits me from getting a drink whenever I need it.

I think the issue is if the policy is significantly hindering and discouraging the ability to stay hydrated that would probably be a violation. I think we'd need to see the exact wording of the applicable law to say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM

833 posts, read 1,706,903 times
Some people are addicted to having a water bottle in their hand.

Mommy never weaned them properly and they think they still got a sippy cup.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:49 PM

810 posts, read 1,758,275 times
When I worked as a directory assistance operator for AT&T we had this policy for many years you were not allowed anything food or drink related at your desk (yes it was due to too many people spilling water, food on keyboards). They changed the policy and allowed water as long as it was in a sealed bottle.
I do not understand why you wouldn't be allowed any water that does seem to be a labor violation.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I am not allowed to drink or eat in the labs (except for the occasions we do tastings I work in a food R&D lab). However, I don't need the boss's permission to quickly grab a drink from the water cooler or stop by my office or break room for a soft drink or something. There is nothing that inhibits me from getting a drink whenever I need it.

I think the issue is if the policy is significantly hindering and discouraging the ability to stay hydrated that would probably be a violation. I think we'd need to see the exact wording of the applicable law to say for sure.
It isn't. I have worked in retail as a manager and employee. The rule is no beverages on the sales floor...so you keep water in the back. And, I have never seen a manager say no to a water request. If you are not with a customer, ask a manager, get your water and come back to work. You are also able to tell a manager and use the bathroom. Doubt they are saying no to either of these requests.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
When I worked as a directory assistance operator for AT&T we had this policy for many years you were not allowed anything food or drink related at your desk (yes it was due to too many people spilling water, food on keyboards). They changed the policy and allowed water as long as it was in a sealed bottle.
I do not understand why you wouldn't be allowed any water that does seem to be a labor violation.
Not at all. This person is talking about water that is AT MOST the length of the store away in the stock room. A couple of minutes away, at most. The person is fine and a labor violation would be not allowing the person to get to the water when the request is reasonable. OP seems to feel that the absolute to the second access to water is essential. Does this person also wake up at night to make sure they are drinking water? Guessing no. The bottom line is they want a bottle of water on the sales floor with them. Management said you can keep it in the break room 2 minutes over there and ask when you want to leave the sales floor. OP decided they deserved water any time they want and, regardless of how ridiculous, have decided they want water WHEN THEY WANT IT.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 PM

833 posts, read 1,706,903 times
It is a habit.

A woman was directly in fron of me in church Sunday.

Constantly unscrewing cap and taking small sips.

Some people think carrying a water bottle with at all times shows they are in style.

( lady was about 60 with died red hair and pot belly )

Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,052,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Well kidney stones are the issue that we are trying to prevent from happening again.

So you don't get any breaks during your shift? You do not need a constant supply of water to help prevent kidney stones. Other things in your diet can contribute to the forming of stones as much as lack of hydration.

MOST jobs don't allow you to have a constant supply of water next to you.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,201,329 times
Wanh! I can't drink either...except on my break or lunch. It is not professional or even sanitary.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,652,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Are you a cashier? I work at Target and we have that rule, which I think is completely stupid and probably illegal. We're not allowed to have water bottles or cups anywhere near us and if they see us with them we get written up. There is a drinking fountain, but it's far from our work area so I'm basically just dehydrated during the entirety of my eight hour shift.

Yes, I'm a great sales person, but, really running off the floor every single time I need a drink of water is stupid. I also clearly know not to drink my water during a transaction. I'm a very good employee in fact I'm current number one in our store in our entire northeast district so I'm not a slouch. I don't think it is unreasonable to have a water bottle behind the counter at all.

Update: Permission granted to have water with me on sales floor when I arrived at work at 2PM EST

Last edited by Aptor hours; 06-20-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
So you don't get any breaks during your shift? You do not need a constant supply of water to help prevent kidney stones. Other things in your diet can contribute to the forming of stones as much as lack of hydration.

MOST jobs don't allow you to have a constant supply of water next to you.
OP merely wants to have it their way without having to follow the rules. So, they got a BS note from a DR, probably by telling the DR that the place of employment is like the Sahara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment