U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,244,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So I went to school and I took nursing classes. Lately I changed my mind. I don't want to be a nurse anymore. I want to work in the medical field but I do not want to be a nurse.
I don't want to work crazy hours but regular office hours. Do I have any options?
Thanks
Just because you went to school to be a nurse doesn't mean you have to find a job working in a hospital environment. There are lots of things you can do with your background. You could be a school nurse..they have regular hours. Check out the different facilities out there who require having a nurse on the premises. When I was still in the work environment at a large corporate facility, there was a nurse there. Have you ever considered teaching? How about teaching a health class at a local high school? Find out what you need to get certified as a teacher..am sure it won't take much more than you already have. Might be rewarding to know that you are telling these teens things that will steer them in the right direction (hopefully)
Good luck no matter what you decide to do. There is a big shortage of nurses right now so be sure this is really what you want with your life. There had to be some reason you decided to become a nurse in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,160,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Just because you went to school to be a nurse doesn't mean you have to find a job working in a hospital environment. There are lots of things you can do with your background. You could be a school nurse..they have regular hours. Check out the different facilities out there who require having a nurse on the premises. When I was still in the work environment at a large corporate facility, there was a nurse there. Have you ever considered teaching? How about teaching a health class at a local high school? Find out what you need to get certified as a teacher..am sure it won't take much more than you already have. Might be rewarding to know that you are telling these teens things that will steer them in the right direction (hopefully)
Good luck no matter what you decide to do. There is a big shortage of nurses right now so be sure this is really what you want with your life. There had to be some reason you decided to become a nurse in the first place.
There really isn't a shortage anymore. A lot of people went into nursing when the economy went bad. It isn't impossible too get a job but it takes time. Some new grads take a year or more to find a job. Medicaid/Medicare cuts= less $$$ for the hospitals. I don't think there are anymore recession proof jobs.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM

4,238 posts, read 4,801,227 times
Nursing is probably the best AS level career. Otherwise I'd suggest Physician's assistant which is a Master's level program.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 AM

4,906 posts, read 4,962,146 times
Schools, universities and doctor's offices all have nurses who work regular schedules. Also, hospital work does not mean you will be stuck on nights forever. As noted, some nurses go into teaching or administration after putting their time in on the floor. If you don't want to be a nurse anymore, I would call the HR depts of all of the area hospitals and ask what medical related non-nursing positions they hire the most of.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM

53 posts, read 107,050 times
Administration may be a good direction to go in especially if getting an mba part-time (in addition to having a nurses degree) is something you are interested in. They can do very well financially down the road.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM

4,552 posts, read 6,176,094 times
You didn't say how far along you are in the program? If you've just started your pre-req's then quit and look around at other options, if your almost done - suck it up and finish. I won't bother to post the links to there is no nursing shortage....just do a search on my board name in this forum and you'll find them.

If you don't like the hours why did you choose nursing? MOST jobs in the medical field do require nights, weekends and holidays. Those few jobs that are "regular" hours are far and few in between. Yes those jobs are there but so are the people who are clamering for them. I wouldn't recommend becoming an MA, they make very little money and there is no chance for growth.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 AM

746 posts, read 797,081 times
There is no nursing no nursing shortage. Just look under my name do a search about my posts on nursing. Then tons of options in nursing doctor's offices nursing homes the lists goes on. To bad most all of them suck for one reason or another. Nursing is flooded and they keep pumping out new ones. I would not count on any mass retirements to open up a wave of new jobs. Jobs are often PRN jobs or part time work they do not want to pay health benefits it cost to much simple as that.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,600,008 times
As with many degrees the more educated people will do better. Quality four year RN programs are not pushing grads to be RN's but to move right into a DNP program.

It seems like a two year degree is a waste now.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 AM

106 posts, read 96,621 times
I dropped out of the RN program back in 07 since I found out I didn't like it as much. Apparently no one understands reasoning for dropping out unless you were in the program itself and had thought about alternatives. If you don't like a certain thing, then you don't like it, simple. I switched over to business, which didn't make my life any easier but I have huge passion for it.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM

7,361 posts, read 9,281,096 times
There are a ton of great jobs in wellness if that interests you. Most of the job postings I see are looking for a certified nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment