U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 05:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,069,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Radiology has been saturated for years. I'm surprised people still recommend this... Even nursing is becoming saturated with fresh grad nurses... I'm afraid there is a health care worker glut... Too many bodies seeking security in this job market.

And about MAs... Unless you have a hubby bringing home some bacon, this may not be the right career for you. The pay is pretty dismal, and there is little opportunity outside of doctor's offices. I don't think many hospitals will even hire them anymore. It's good if you need to quickly start a new career, but it has some serious pitfalls beyond just the pay...

You are correct on this one.

There are a lot of people giving advice about jobs in medicine. They call it "the medical field" and just cite information from about 3 decades ago. Medicine is quite different from back then. There are no shortages. When people go in the hospital and they have to wait, it is because management shortstaffs and has less people doing more.

I would guess some posting about how many jobs in medicine there are could be from these little schools that sprang up, not the real colleges, per se, but the one pushing people through quickly and graduating like assembly lines.

Employers like this, they get a ton of new people to choose from, and heck, they can force people to train them and bring them on. Even with that, they don't have the experience that long time workers have, but the managers are looking to save money for those at the top.

The sad thing is, healthcare for the patient suffers with all of this. Yet, the constant mantra in any health facility is about patient care.

People would be best to talk to people out there, and not listen to fluff generated by those not in the professions. People would be best to stay away from "career counselors" and admission counselors. Even so-called Best Fields and Best Careers that certain big websites and news organizations are still hawking medicine as the job field "du jour".

But those in it know the truth, and know how hard it is to find work. Some new grads do make it in, but only because they will work for very low wages, some are lower than 2005 wages and no benefits.

Some hospitals will hire MA's. But I've seen surgical techs working as MAs! I've seen EMTs working like nurses in ERs. You can image the pay difference between an EMT and a nurse. But you are correct, it is a low paying field, and those are filling up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM

11,309 posts, read 16,489,113 times
I don't have to make lots of money. That is not my goal. I just want to be home with my family on weekends and evenings. My husband has a very good and stable job so money is not that important.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM

165 posts, read 219,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't have to make lots of money. That is not my goal. I just want to be home with my family on weekends and evenings. My husband has a very good and stable job so money is not that important.
Pretty much anything medical field will require weekends unless you're some assistant at some office.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktop View Post
Pretty much anything medical field will require weekends unless you're some assistant at some office.

So working in a doctors office maybe?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM

165 posts, read 219,722 times
Yes a doctors office is a great example or a dental office. Usually their weekends are minimal. But don't get me wrong I'm sure there are other jobs in a hospital that are 9-5 M-F too, you just need to look for them and be qualified

Old 06-22-2012, 08:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 57,551,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So working in a doctors office maybe?
Many nurses work Mon - Fri -- school nurse, occupational nurses and health nurses. Plus the doctors offices, many outpatient locations and clinics.

Even in the hospital, many hospitals have weekend nurses and the others work Mon - Fri.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Many nurses work Mon - Fri -- school nurse, occupational nurses and health nurses. Plus the doctors offices, many outpatient locations and clinics.

Even in the hospital, many hospitals have weekend nurses and the others work Mon - Fri.

Thanks Malamute, maybe I need to look at it that way.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,069,226 times
The day jobs, M-F, are the easiest to fill. That is why most people are on the night shifts and/or weekends at hospitals. A lot of doctors' offices use MA's.
Again, people really want the M-F, 8-5 job, so they are hard to find. There is a lot of competition for jobs that don't have weekends, night, call, holidays in medicine.
It's not that it isn't out there, but it is hard to find. So when someone doesn't have to work, and wants family as a priority, etc., are they really going to go to school and do all the work, and get out and see what happens?

Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 AM

16,002 posts, read 19,334,013 times
If anyone thinks there's a shortage of nurses now, just wait 5 years and there'll be an even greater shortage, after additional, expected Medicaid/Medicare cuts.

A number of nurses left the field, when working in a nursing home, they upped the patient load to 30-40 patients per nurse (creating a shortage) and when that patient load increases to 50-60 patients per nurse, that will create an ever greater shortage. In a hospital, if you thought taking care of 10 acute patients was draining, wait 'til they increase the load to 15 or 20! Another nursing shortage!

Working part time as a home health care nurse is an option as well.

One of my co-workers just finished her RN training (previously 15 years as an LPN) and she can't find anything. Her reasoning: they pay so little that nurses have to work two jobs! But that's Las Vegas!

Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,528,987 times
You could become a RN and then work a 9-5 for an insurance/healthcare company reviewing medical claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment