U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,223,515 times
Default I don't want to be a nurse anymore

So I went to school and I took nursing classes. Lately I changed my mind. I don't want to be a nurse anymore. I want to work in the medical field but I do not want to be a nurse.
I don't want to work crazy hours but regular office hours. Do I have any options?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

5,405 posts, read 3,447,846 times
I understand!

Let's see: Mammographer, xray tech, MRI scan or any kind of scan, tech
Then there is: health services, a newer college degree
And medical technologist, any kind of lab services, etc.

If you get a job that is NOT in a hospital, most likely the hrs would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So I went to school and I took nursing classes. Lately I changed my mind. I don't want to be a nurse anymore. I want to work in the medical field but I do not want to be a nurse.
I don't want to work crazy hours but regular office hours. Do I have any options?

Thanks

Unread 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,223,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I understand!

Thanks!

How about Medical Assistant. I would not mind working in a medical office.

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:09 PM

1,612 posts, read 1,911,467 times
Stick to healthcare, it's a growing and stable industry:

Healthcare Occupations : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Medical Assistants do not make a lot of money, and with the way healthcare insurance is going, a lot of doctors can not afford, and do not want to, give their employees health benefits. Forget Medical Assistant ! You'll never make more than 30k at the most .... Go for something that requires a degree, and is rapidly growing - check out the link I included.

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM

566 posts, read 347,741 times
I'd say stick with nursing. If you don't have an advanced level degree focus on that for more opportunity. You can move into so many specialties with better hours. This may sound mean but please don't go into radiology because like all of the other health fields, it is saturated as well. You could become a radiology nurse where you only take care of patients in the radiology department. You could work in an orthopedist office, derms office, etc, etc. Any field requiring hospital work will kill you with call.

I feel your pain because I don't want to shoot xrays anymore. Bureaucracy and regulations are draining all healthcare workers. I miss the days when you could just do your job. Now you have 10 things to do before you even begin to do your job starting with documentation, continuing education for your licensce, continuing education for your facility; which is not a bad thing except the rules change so often as well as the technology. Apple has nothing on healthcare when it comes to technological advances. I feel for you nurses because of the responsibility without the support. The healthcare system is broken and there are no winners.

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:46 PM

3,191 posts, read 1,274,360 times
I work in healthcare. I don't blame you for not wanting to be a nurse. How about a Certified Medical Assistant? I think it varies from state to state but you just have to take a certification test to be one. You would work in a doctors office doing intake, taking BP's, etc...You would most likely work decent hours and maybe have weekends off.

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM

1,917 posts, read 832,322 times
I'm an RN and while the job is less than fun a MA in my region makes $8-$20/hour ($20 is rare) and the lowest paid RN will start at $32/hour. Most MD offices hire MAs so there is that but the pay and job prospects for an RN are much better than a medical assistant. Also most hospitals will not hire MAs or if they do its usually for patient care tech positions which at my hospital start about $18/hour vs RN $35/hour to start before extra $$$ for additional education...shift differential..and specialty certifications. I'm in the NYC metro area so your region may vary as far as pay rate.

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:21 PM

4,983 posts, read 4,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I understand!

There

are

no

jobs

in

radiology.

So

don't give

that

advice.

This business that the "medical field" is full of jobs is a myth. Most places are cutting staff, even nurses. The schools put out a lot of mantras out there, but talk to people in the field.

The Occupational Handbook still sites a lot of occupations as "growing" or the "demand for".

That doesn't reflect what is really going on.

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM

4,983 posts, read 4,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I'd say stick with nursing. If you don't have an advanced level degree focus on that for more opportunity. You can move into so many specialties with better hours. This may sound mean but please don't go into radiology because like all of the other health fields, it is saturated as well. You could become a radiology nurse where you only take care of patients in the radiology department. You could work in an orthopedist office, derms office, etc, etc. Any field requiring hospital work will kill you with call.

I feel your pain because I don't want to shoot xrays anymore. Bureaucracy and regulations are draining all healthcare workers. I miss the days when you could just do your job. Now you have 10 things to do before you even begin to do your job starting with documentation, continuing education for your licensce, continuing education for your facility; which is not a bad thing except the rules change so often as well as the technology. Apple has nothing on healthcare when it comes to technological advances. I feel for you nurses because of the responsibility without the support. The healthcare system is broken and there are no winners.

Thanks for saying that.
People keep telling kids to go into it, and there are no jobs.
A lot of the "jobs" posted are PRN or pool (registry) or they've been
there for years.

Unread 06-21-2012, 05:41 AM

7,748 posts, read 4,368,528 times
Radiology has been saturated for years. I'm surprised people still recommend this... Even nursing is becoming saturated with fresh grad nurses... I'm afraid there is a health care worker glut... Too many bodies seeking security in this job market.

And about MAs... Unless you have a hubby bringing home some bacon, this may not be the right career for you. The pay is pretty dismal, and there is little opportunity outside of doctor's offices. I don't think many hospitals will even hire them anymore. It's good if you need to quickly start a new career, but it has some serious pitfalls beyond just the pay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment