U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM

6,877 posts, read 7,276,074 times

Advertisements

I'm curious....how many people out there feel this way -- yes I've worked hard, yes I've a achieved a certain amount, but where I am now is enough for me, I'm burned out, tired, not interested in my job anymore, don't want to work....and really just want to coast and work as little as possible until retirement.

People deny this this. But once I have a real conversation with them they'll eventually admit -- well yeah I'm just place holding until i can get out of here. Why aren't more people honest with themselves? I'm not saying tell your boss this, but at least don't lie to yourself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,788,208 times
It's unfortunate that people feel this way, though not surprising. I think we've all felt this way at various times in our careers.

I think the problem stems from a lack of accomplishment in the modern work world. On the one hand, there are many jobs where it is very difficult to feel any sense of accomplishment, such as stocking shelves or flipping burgers. The task is finished immediately, but there is no room for pride, creativity, or achievement.

On the flip side, in the higher-end professions, one can be so far removed from the end result (such as designing a new product that might take years to make it to market), that it is easy to lose track of one's purpose as the months fly by. Also, jobs like this tend to be heavily burdened by management silliness: time wasted in meetings, time wasted convincing management that the laws of physics are not optional, etc. The same idea comes into play when dealing with difficult coworkers, other departments that aren't doing their job, etc. Somewhere along the way, the sense of "Wow, I'm designing or building a new car/plane/engine/sensor/whatever!" goes out the door and is replaced with, "Why the heck can't Bob do his job? Why can't management understand that the parts cannot be delivered the day after we order them? Why won't Purchasing actually purchase our parts?" and so on. It can become very soul-draining.

There's no clear answer for this, though better leadership helps. Employees should always be encouraged and rewarded for what they did correctly, and they should never be burdened with responsibility without power. For example, it makes no sense to blame Engineering for Purchasings mistakes, especially if the engineers did everything they could to make life easier for the people in Purchasing.

Also, I've found that it is very important to let everyone involved see the final product and know that it is successful. When one spends a year designing a widget that won't make it into the final product until several more years later, it is easy to feel that there's no real point to any of it. By seeing the final result, it gives a sense of pride and accomplishment, knowing that all that work did count for something and produce a working product.

In the end, that's what it is all about - building working products and/or providing needed services.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 AM

6,877 posts, read 7,276,074 times
You got that right.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
I honestly wish I was. I left a job I was coasting, and wanted more of a challenge and a career. WRONG CHOICE (for me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment