U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,937,520 times
Question very simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I hate my job with a true passion and am looking to get out. For those of you with a career in an industry in which a lot of people know each other (potential new boss could know current boss) and you cross paths year after year, how would you answer this standard question? Here is the real reason why I am leaving:

• Expected to work ridiculously long work hours, which I have refused to do, which has led to resentment
  • Company is so cash poor they can barely pay suppliers
  • The owners send nasty, abusive emails on the days they are out of the office (but are nice to our faces)
  • I am routinely blamed for the poor performance of people who don't report to me and in fact report to the owners themselves
  • They cheat people out of their money as a matter of course. For instance when a commissioned sales rep resigns, the owners screw them out of their final check (this one really pains me, I have someone due about $2k and I know that when I submit it to be paid, the owner won't sign the check and will come ask me how dare I even think about paying it.)
  • When I accomplish something big, they take the credit. (Example, I landed a six figure deal and the owner replied, "Well I talked to them 10 years ago. This just proves that they take 10 years to make up their mind.)
  • The pay sucks and isn't worth the drama
  • They are a55holes, the worst I have every worked for
I have worked there for about 10 months or so, so obviously the question why I am looking will be raised. I have a promising interview on Tuesday, want to get out so badly...

How would you spin this to make sure you don't sound like a gossip, especially since there is a possibility that they all travel in the same circles?
just keep your mouth shut...
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 05:48 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,427,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
just keep your mouth shut...
Koale
Not answering basic questions at an interview is not sound career advice.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 PM

9,436 posts, read 4,348,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
I usually answer that I am open to new opportunities and challenges.
Always a winner. Vague ~ but still sounds positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment