Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 AM

80 posts, read 222,221 times

Advertisements

I've seen many jobs that I know that I could perform but my resume does not show specific experience in that area. I've applied anyway but of course get no response.

How can a person get over this hurdle and get into something different? I'm not trying to go from reciptionist to brain surgeon.

I'm a secretary, the job I currently have is very isolated. I'm in a dark room with little to no contact with the outside world. I just want to get into a field more social, like non profit work, marketing, historic sites, or media.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
It's all about getting face time with the actual decision maker.
98% of job hunting comes down to that simple concept.

If you don't know who the decision maker is...

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
There's no harm in trying, but chances are there are several people also applying for each of those jobs that do have the required experience. About all you can do is to research the kind of business, and in your resume relate your experience in areas that do overlap. Make sure that you demonstrate your familiarity with the kind of work they do and the kinds of tasks you would be expected to do there.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
You can focus on how your experiences relate to the job to which you're applying - and realistically, there probably is a lot of practical overlap even if all the little details aren't there. Talk in more general terms and illustrate the similarities between what you've done and what they want you to do. Also, make it clear you're eager to learn.

That being said, this type of thing is really hopeless these days.

Why? Because the automated resume filters will "black-hole" your application if you are not an EXACT match for whatever "purple squirrel" the "job creator" wants this week. Oh, you have 3 years experience designing brakes for sedans? Well, we need somebody with 4 years experience designing brakes for trucks, so you're "unqualified." Have 10 years experience in CAD tool X, but they want 3 years experience in CAD tool Y, well... you're "unqualified."

If you can find a decision-maker, impress him or her enough, and get face time with them to show off your skills, that might matter. But let's be realistic here - even for engineering jobs, 100+ applicants per jobs is common. So, if you're not perfect (and young, and currently employed, and living in the area), they'll probably toss out your resume immediately to quickly narrow down the choices.

So, it doesn't hurt to try, but don't get your hopes up. The modern economy is not about your skills or work ethic - it is all about who you know.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Why? Because the automated resume filters will "black-hole" your application if you are not an EXACT match for whatever "purple squirrel" the "job creator" wants this week. Oh, you have 3 years experience designing brakes for sedans? Well, we need somebody with 4 years experience designing brakes for trucks, so you're "unqualified." Have 10 years experience in CAD tool X, but they want 3 years experience in CAD tool Y, well... you're "unqualified."
Yep! This pretty much sums it up.

I hate to be so negative about it but I really think it's a lost cause. I have to keep trying tho...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The modern economy is not about your skills or work ethic - it is all about who you know.
I agree. Who you know, that has always trumped everything. But you are right, now so more than ever. Also with today`s technology and the ablility to filter out resumes with scanning word software, it`s hard to get in to see anybody. Everything is done eletronically and almost impossible to get face time. So the best you can do is gear your resume to fit the job you are applying for, as others have said. You can usually find something to relate it too. It`s all about the resume just to get the foot in the door. But once in the door, then abviously you can sell yourself. Easier said than done when competing with a hundred other resumes and other potential employees who may have an inside connection.

Obviously there are exceptions depending on the field and the job. But this seems to be the general rule. All you can do is keep trying. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersb View Post
I've seen many jobs that I know that I could perform but my resume does not show specific experience in that area. I've applied anyway but of course get no response.

How can a person get over this hurdle and get into something different? I'm not trying to go from reciptionist to brain surgeon.

I'm a secretary, the job I currently have is very isolated. I'm in a dark room with little to no contact with the outside world. I just want to get into a field more social, like non profit work, marketing, historic sites, or media.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Be careful with that, just had a friend talk his way into a job and then he couldn't perform it and was let before his 90 days was completed. So now he is depressed he has to start over again. So just make sue you can really do the job

Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM

Wow, TVandSportsGuy... I will be careful. I'm not aiming for a drastic change: I still want to be a secretary, just in a different field.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersb View Post
Wow, TVandSportsGuy... I will be careful. I'm not aiming for a drastic change: I still want to be a secretary, just in a different field.
Oh ok, so it's still the same type of work just in a different field. You should be fine then. My friend took on a job he had no experience in at all which was not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment