Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times

Advertisements

This is what happens when applications are all performed online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Very few online apps require references. And if they do, they are of the professional kind. I can understand that. That's like saying you don't want to list where you've worked or something.

But most online apps provide a place for you to list references. You don't have to. Not sure if leaving it blank looks poorly, but then again HR departments look for any reason to not hire people.
I am not sure about that last part, but then again, I try and be glass half full. I would hope they are looking for reasons TO hire.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Right?! It should be a no-brainer that any company asking an anonymous person to list the names and numbers of others is questionable. I am fine being a reference to anyone who asks, but I am NOT fine with my number or email being put out to random people and who knows where else.
Exactly. As an example temp agencies are known to ask for references and then make a sales pitch to that person.

The last thing someone wants to do is have their references bothered. You don't what they might do with the information.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. As an example temp agencies are known to ask for references and then make a sales pitch to that person.

The last thing someone wants to do is have their references bothered. You don't what they might do with the information.
I would be suspicious because some of the more unscrupulous recruiters will try to recruit the references of people they speak to, so I would wonder if they would be getting a call attempting to get them onto the recruiter;s lead sheet.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Temp agencies must have just started this because in 2009 I was not asked for a list of references.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Man you seriously must have never been applying to many places. They've been asking for references for as long as you could apply to jobs on the internet. This is no conspiracy. It isn't recent. It isn't exclusive to Comcast, or Xfinity, whatever it is.

It's like your driver's license. Some jobs ask for it, some don't. Or your social. Some ask for it, some don't.

You make it seem like they ask for references to hurt you personally. You seriously sound paranoid.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times
They almost never contact those references anyways. I have gone through many final rounds and for jobs I did not get they never ever contacted my references even when I provided them. Just list them.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Man you seriously must have never been applying to many places. They've been asking for references for as long as you could apply to jobs on the internet. This is no conspiracy. It isn't recent. It isn't exclusive to Comcast, or Xfinity, whatever it is.

It's like your driver's license. Some jobs ask for it, some don't. Or your social. Some ask for it, some don't.

You make it seem like they ask for references to hurt you personally. You seriously sound paranoid.

I believe I said 90% of my job applications are "direct email". It;s not that often I complete online applications. I only did it once back in March and was going to do it again for the second time this year and decided not to when they wanted me to list my references

Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times
Quote:
Very few online apps require references. And if they do, they are of the professional kind. I can understand that. That's like saying you don't want to list where you've worked or something.

But most online apps provide a place for you to list references. You don't have to. Not sure if leaving it blank looks poorly, but then again HR departments look for any reason to not hire people.
It doesn't look poorly at all since the HR department will ask you for references if they are planning on contacting them regardless of whether you listed them on the online application.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
They almost never contact those references anyways. I have gone through many final rounds and for jobs I did not get they never ever contacted my references even when I provided them. Just list them.
I believe they only call references for a candidate they are planning on extending an offer to not someone who was not being considered for the job. Maybe they figured it wasn't no point in contacting the references when they planned on hiring someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search