U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 29,896 times
Default Verbal Offer...still waiting on written offer?

A little bit about my situation:

I interviewed for a job over the phone 2 weeks ago (IT job). I was given a verbal offer for the job the next day along with an e-mail from the HR person recapping what we had discussed on the phone as well as asking for a few references. I was told at the time that a written offer would be put together quickly so they could have me go ahead and put my 2 weeks in at my current employer.

The next day after receiving the verbal offer I had a meeting with my current manager to discuss some timelines for projects I am working on and when they would be completed. Not wanting to BS my boss I went ahead and told him that I had verbally accepted a new job offer and was waiting for a written offer. They naturally would love for me to stay but understand my need to advance my career.

I was then told that Friday after telling my boss that they would be having me do a test as part of the next step (something that was never mentioned). I didn't receive the test until last week(pretty basic stuff from a programming perspective). I completed the test just fine and sent it back to company a few days later once they sent me a link to upload the test. I was then told after sending it to them that they would have it looked it by this Monday. As long as everything with the test looked good they would put together a written offer. The bad thing is that the hiring manager is out this week but he did say he would work with HR to get it put together.

I sent a follow-up e-mail today to see if the test had been looked at yet but got a auto-reply back that the hiring manager was out for the week. The company for the most part has kept the lines of communication open but time seems to be ticking very slowly with.

My current employer is starting to interview people this week to potentially replace me. They ask me pretty frequently what my current situation is and it's hard to give them an answer. A verbal offer doesn't mean much, even along with the e-mail that i received that discussed salary, etc but a written offer would allow me to officially put my 2 weeks in at my current employer (and lower my stress level ). My references have still not been contacted so they haven't reached that point yet. I'm not sure if i'm worrying too much or not. I feel like i'm putting my current job in a bad position since i feel like i'm essentially keeping them hostage from being able to hire a replacement until they know what is going on with me.

Any thoughts or comments is appreciated. I have been pretty stressed out about the whole situation so it feels pretty good to find an outlet to channel some of that stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 PM

7,824 posts, read 8,187,677 times
You have a reason to be stressed, you NEVER tell your current employer anything until you have a written offer that includes a salary and a firm start date.

Sorry, but you created for yourself a situation that didn't have to be.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 29,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have a reason to be stressed, you NEVER tell your current employer anything until you have a written offer that includes a salary and a firm start date.

Sorry, but you created for yourself a situation that didn't have to be.
Very true. I was trying to be considerate though of my current job by not sandbagging them by promising to get work done that i know won't be completed by me and on time . I work for a very small company with < 15 people so somebody leaving fills a VERY big hole for work to be completed since we funnel projects through 1 person usually (a gripe i have with my current job).

At this point though i do wish i would have just lied instead of doing the right thing.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM

7,824 posts, read 8,187,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionCC View Post
Very true. I was trying to be considerate though of my current job by not sandbagging them by promising to get work done that i know won't be completed by me and on time . I work for a very small company with < 15 people so somebody leaving fills a VERY big hole for work to be completed since we funnel projects through 1 person usually (a gripe i have with my current job).

At this point though i do wish i would have just lied instead of doing the right thing.
Well you wouldn't have been lying. You give the normal two weeks notice and you finish up as much as you can and you explain in detail and offer to take a couple of phone calls if someone has questions about a certain project.

People do it all the time. I was planning on giving two weeks notice on Friday and my boss decides to take Thursday and Friday of that week off. So I wanted to make it an official two weeks and I contacted his boss on the phone and did an email to the both of them.

There was stuff I was working on and I showed my boss as much as I could and then talked a few times on the phone with the person who took over.

If you don't hear back from this new company in a day or two, you might want to tell your current boss you changed your mind and hope they don't hold it against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment