Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

I been noticing something the past 2 weeks. Almost every job I apply to I get a message back saying

"We have received your resume and if your skills and qualifications met the expectations of the position we will contact you for a personal interview."

I always understood that after submitting a application and never needed to know a company received it because it's no point in bothering a employer to call and say..."did you receive my resume?" So it looks like employers are getting sick of being called after someone applies for a job which makes a lot of sense because it a pointless phone call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Good point stuff changes in this new e-mail age.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Are we talking about following up on an application or an interview that already took place?

I would say that they don't like for people to follow up on applications. Now, if there was an actual face-to-face interview, then I do believe there should be some kind of response so that the candidates don't have to follow up. Most applicant tracking systems will automatically notify the rejected candidates once the job is removed from the system.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,061 times
As much as it is to prevent job-seekers from constantly calling for updates on the status of their application, it's probably just an easy way for an employer to get out of contacting the applicants.

Instead of having to send out an email saying "Sorry we have chosen another applicant who we feel is better suited for the position" to all the rejected applicants, they would have the applicants assume that no response is, in fact, a response in the negative.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Are we talking about following up on an application or an interview that already took place?

I would say that they don't like for people to follow up on applications. Now, if there was an actual face-to-face interview, then I do believe there should be some kind of response so that the candidates don't have to follow up. Most applicant tracking systems will automatically notify the rejected candidates once the job is removed from the system.

There are tons of people who feel the need to call and ask...."did you receive my resume" which is probably why I;m receiving these pointless emails from employers.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
As much as it is to prevent job-seekers from constantly calling for updates on the status of their application, it's probably just an easy way for an employer to get out of contacting the applicants.

Instead of having to send out an email saying "Sorry we have chosen another applicant who we feel is better suited for the position" to all the rejected applicants, they would have the applicants assume that no response is, in fact, a response in the negative.

Yeah that could be "creative rejection" LOL

Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
It's just a confirmation that they received your resume. Does it really matter why?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It's just a confirmation that they received your resume. Does it really matter why?
It wasn't automated they actually went out their way to send me a email letting me know my resume is being reviewed which was NEW and WEIRD.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
I'm surprised they went to the trouble, but I still don't see the big deal.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,424,928 times
I got a lot of those types of email replies from large companies after applying online; sometimes they would arrive about 2 months later or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search