Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM

750 posts, read 1,444,358 times

Advertisements

I ride the bus now it does not go to all areas. Some townships do not get service their voters do not want to play the taxes. I was riding the bus to work one day. The bus driver told me of a woman she had on the bus before. The woman had voted to keep the bus out of her township. She told the driver she do not want to play the extra taxes. Well a few years later she got a neurological disorder could no longer drive. Well she had to sell her house in the township with no bus service. She moved into the city where she could get bus service. Otherwise she could not go to work her doctors the supermarket. That is how people in the US think I will never need it. Thus I do not want to pay for it. But it is like I said you can join our ranks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,631,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Precisely. If you're ill, handicapped, over 30, overweight, ugly, or otherwise not an example of the "perfect" physical specimen, they don't want you around. It is sick and is just another way to discriminate and keep people in poverty.

My former employer had a deaf engineer who worked for them for years, and he was always treated like a second-class citizen. He did a fine job, but people were troubled that this "deaf guy" was in the area... they'd have to email him vs. call him, and write things down on paper vs. talking to him... oh, it was all so much of a bother! Better to just pretend he doesn't exist... In the end, he retired early vs. being "retired" in one of many layoffs that were focused on older staff members (especially those in ill health.)

What was far more sick was how they treated an older guy who was dying of cancer while trying to care for his wife who was dying of Alzheimers. The guy was a great engineer, had worked there his whole career, and would go out of his way to help others. Well, his horrible illness and the time needed to care for his wife earned him plenty of abuse from management near the end, and when he finally passed away, management's entire response was, "Gee, that sucks - that sets our schedule back a whole bunch of weeks. Why couldn't he have picked a more convenient time to die?" His coworkers were broken up about it, but they are actual human beings, vs. soulless corporate stooges, so there is that difference.

The way people treat the handicapped and ill is horrible in this nation.
I think it is relative to the environment of the organization. In an organization where employees are already well overworked-- the addition of someone who they have to take more steps with to get on the same page is going to create friction no matter what.

I saw it not to long ago. An employee quit leaving her coworkers high and dry-- and the manager had to go out on LOA for a cancer treatment. The other employees didn't really care-- they were so focused on the 'how am I expected to get through all of this work too.'

That is human nature--

In an environment where people are not pushed to the limit as is-- or where they feel supported they are generally more willing to overlook smaller hardships or differences.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 AM

841 posts, read 1,914,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
. That is how people in the US think I will never need it. Thus I do not want to pay for it. But it is like I said you can join our ranks.
Yes, just like you never understand a disability until you have a child with one.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:22 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Doing what?
Trying to get jobs and eventually given up and living on SSI/SSDI. Have you ever tried to apply for a job as a white cane user or guide dog user?

Have you ever trying applying for jobs with any visible disability?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Obviously I don't what?

You need to break up the post you are responding to so that people can understand your point(s).
That whole entire post was not broken up by any other quotes and was in its an entirety a response to you. I'm not sure why you're confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Obviously you don't.

Blind people had a 70% employment rate before the depression.

Yes, we are all struggling for jobs now, but that's a constant reality for disabled people, regardless of the economic times, not just a reality during economic recessions or depressions.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:50 PM

750 posts, read 1,444,358 times
I understand what you are saying nimchimpsy my handicapped is visible as well. But like I said in my other posts. Most people in the US could care less if the handicapped ever land a job. If your handicap is visible your odds of landing a job are almost nothing. I mean sure they hate playing taxes into SSI/SSDI ramps buses and anything else for the handicapped. I mean they see it as a waste. All these things cost too much in taxes and they will never need them right? We are moving to an era of low growth for years too come. Jobs will be even harder to come by people will care even less about the handicapped finding jobs in future . Everyone in the US is out for themselves no cares what happens to the handicapped population. That is unless they end up handicapped themselves. Or they have a handicapped family member in their family that is the bottom line.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I understand what you are saying nimchimpsy my handicapped is visible as well. But like I said in my other posts. Most people in the US could care less if the handicapped ever land a job. If your handicap is visible your odds of landing a job are almost nothing. I mean sure they hate playing taxes into SSI/SSDI ramps buses and anything else for the handicapped. I mean they see it as a waste. All these things cost too much in taxes and they will never need them right? We are moving to an era of low growth for years too come. Jobs will be even harder to come by people will care even less about the handicapped finding jobs in future . Everyone in the US is out for themselves no cares what happens to the handicapped population. That is unless they end up handicapped themselves. Or they have a handicapped family member in their family that is the bottom line.
Yep. You basically put it in a nutshell. I know a lot of people who do have jobs and are visibly disabled, but they have had to put disproportionate amounts of work into getting to where they are. They’ve had to swim against a much stronger stream than most people do.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM

640 posts, read 1,213,341 times
I never knew it was 70% for blind people. For aspergers the unemployment rate has been 85% even in a good economy. You and I both know these statistics are not because of people being lazy, but often because of discrimination and lack of empathy from employers as well as accomodations. I might have hammered this topic a little too much here but it deserves some spotlight because of how little it is discussed. Often times the only thing you hear about when disabled people and employment comes up is someone ranting about how they don't like certain people living off the taxpayers dime. But what do they have to say about disabled people who want jobs, and to live a normal life as possible, but for whatever reason have difficulty making it. You never hear about that side. It's not like I am justifying people to be non-productive. I am however against people with impairments like myself and other having no other choice but to live in poverty even though they stride to do better then that, but the issue is are we going to be allowed to do that. It doesn't seem like it.

My challenge to people is to come up with a system that will allow disabled people to get a job and keep it with a discrimination free environment with empathetic, understanding employers. Maybe create businesses that hire only people with diagnosed, well documented disabilities. Then you will have more justification to strip a disabled person of whatever living they were holding on to, even if that shred of a living was for survival and not chosen voluntary.

Or you can just heat up the ovens and throw us in because by your logic nobody deserves to live.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,499,339 times
That's because being hired and sustaining employment has now become a popularity contest.

These people know Aspies are smart:

Danish software company only hires Aspies! Software Company Only Hires People who Have Autism - ABC News

"They exceeded my expectations," said Dan Tedesco of Shelton, Conn.-based HandHold Adaptive, which took a chance on Aspiritech to test an iPhone application. "There is a pride in their product you don't usually see in this type of work."
US company hires Aspies! Company Hires Adults With Asperger's To Test Software - Careers Articles

Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I never knew it was 70% for blind people. For aspergers the unemployment rate has been 85% even in a good economy. You and I both know these statistics are not because of people being lazy, but often because of discrimination and lack of empathy from employers as well as accomodations. I might have hammered this topic a little too much here but it deserves some spotlight because of how little it is discussed. Often times the only thing you hear about when disabled people and employment comes up is someone ranting about how they don't like certain people living off the taxpayers dime. But what do they have to say about disabled people who want jobs, and to live a normal life as possible, but for whatever reason have difficulty making it. You never hear about that side. It's not like I am justifying people to be non-productive. I am however against people with impairments like myself and other having no other choice but to live in poverty even though they stride to do better then that, but the issue is are we going to be allowed to do that. It doesn't seem like it.

My challenge to people is to come up with a system that will allow disabled people to get a job and keep it with a discrimination free environment with empathetic, understanding employers. Maybe create businesses that hire only people with diagnosed, well documented disabilities. Then you will have more justification to strip a disabled person of whatever living they were holding on to, even if that shred of a living was for survival and not chosen voluntary.

Or you can just heat up the ovens and throw us in because by your logic nobody deserves to live.
Jesus, no wonder it took me 18 months of rigorous job searching, sending in applications, and going door-to-door to get a part-time as needed minimum-wage job as a Blind Aspie. And yes, I don't think most people realize how much effort I had to put into getting the jobs I've gotten. The only reason I have gotten any jobs at all is because I have incredibly high standards for myself and refuse to give up, and because my natural interest in languages happens to be a desirable skill set in the employment process.

I agree with you that we need a safety net for disabled people because we are discriminated against in the workforce. And so long as that is the case, we need that safety work. My hope is just that sometime in the future we are seen as on par with our able-bodied (in body, mind, and spirit) counterparts and therefore don't have to fall back on benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment