Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Well when you get hired for a job and you are not happy, logic tells you it wasn't expected, why would you apply for a job you don't want? She should decline, there are at least a dozen others that would LOVE that job.
That was the confusing part about the entire thread but I never said anything. You know for a fact whether or not you will like a job when you see the posted opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 06:19 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,617,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They respect a person has been working at a place for a while. Why would a person who just started a job in June be trying to sent out resumes?? The OP can't apply for any other jobs right now unless he is not that worried about losing the one he just started.
You wouldn't list a job that you've only had for a few weeks on your resume.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You wouldn't list a job that you've only had for a few weeks on your resume.
Right, I forgot but there is still the issue of scheduling a interview. You definitely can request time off within the first 90 days

Old 06-30-2012, 06:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,680,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Since when? Numerous companies respect that an applicant is currently working. If they are really interested, they will schedule a time the other person is able to meet. I have gone to interviews on weekends, at 7pm at night, and on my lunch close to my current work because the prospective employer wanted to meet with me.

And a shift manager job at Pizza Hut, I guarantee the hours are flexible enough OP will manage to find something else and at the very least will manage to go on other interviews in the 1st 90 days, if OP wants to of course.

Not everyone's experiences are the same as yours. At first, I felt for you. But now, you seem to me like the person MOST likely to chime in with why taking a job is the worst thing ever, why it will ruin your life, and to discuss the ways to avoid getting hired in the first place (although with all the refusals you post about why you didn't apply, didn't finish the application, didn't do wel in the interview, etc...I guess you are THE expert on avoiding getting a job.)

OP...go get 'em.
I completely agree. When you take a survival job, everyone is looking for other work. No one really wants a career as a crew member at White Castle or wherever. Most of the supervisors realize this fact. Although, I probably wouldn't come in with the attitude that the place sucks and not care about doing a good job. Even if you work at Taco Bell, it is a good idea to at least pretend to care.

Sometimes it is necessary to apply everywhere. Unemployment doesn't last forever and what does a person do if they can't find a job in their field? They may need a survival job while they retrain or network for positions in their field. Some fields are terribly oversaturated anymore and it could take awhile before finding something.

I should also mention that companies have zero respect for the unemployed. Most HR reps are stupid and think the economy is grand, but it isn't. They see you have been doing nothing but look for work for six months or more they will ask about the "unemployment gap."

Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777;24973768I should also mention that companies have zero respect for the unemployed.[U
Most HR reps are stupid and think the economy is grand[/u], but it isn't. They see you have been doing nothing but look for work for six months or more they will ask about the "unemployment gap."
False ; Most H/R reps and their employers are like a batter with the bases loaded, score tied, 0 outs and 3-0. They know if this one pitch is not to their liking, they can take it and wait for the next one. "Pitches" are applicants.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,617,596 times
Quote:
Right, I forgot but there is still the issue of scheduling a interview. You definitely can request time off within the first 90 days
I had a doctor's appointment scheduled prior to being hired, or I must leave early to take care of a personal famiy matter. Need to take off on a Monday or Friday? We had this prepaid, extended weekend get away planned for months. You can make all kinds of excuses to go on a job interview.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,500,424 times
Start the job and do well. Then start looking again for something you might like better.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I had a doctor's appointment scheduled prior to being hired, or I must leave early to take care of a personal famiy matter. Need to take off on a Monday or Friday? We had this prepaid, extended weekend get away planned for months. You can make all kinds of excuses to go on a job interview.
But why risk a job you just started and then maybe left with nothing? Seems like the only way out of a new job is if another company calls with a offer you already interviewed with

Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,721,827 times
How much does a shift manager make? Be happy it's not a real crappy job that gets you by, there are worse job like a car or bike messenger [I did both of these] or a taxi driver.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Quote:
But why risk a job you just started and then maybe left with nothing? Seems like the only way out of a new job is if another company calls with a offer you already interviewed with
Or during non working hours. Doubtful Pizza Hut is scheduling the OP 8-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment