U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:24 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,476,646 times

Advertisements

I don't care to know what someone does for a living or how much money they make, as long as it's legal.
I gather some people have a hair across about success, stuff you can buy or drive; it has always been so, and has never been worth attention.
I have never been ambitious, but have always liked to make a living. Buying a decent place to live (be it buy or rent). Having a decent car if I live where I need one. Being able to go to the Mountain West maybe once a year for spectacular horseback riding. Also, now I find it important to be able to donate money to groups I care about.
I have never favored status, and have always liked what money can do for me.
After 31 years in a particular field (with a few stop-outs to try other stuff) I still cannot say, "I am a ___." It sounds wrong. I work as a ___.
I am fortunate (or smart) to recognize that I don't know how to live/work in the middle-class world of corporation or business. Hence, I don't. Did for about two years and found it weird and unsatisfying. Not that I find my current situation so satisfying (I'd leave it and leave smoke if I could afford to) but I've gotten together some generic elements that work as well as possible in the need to earn a living for all of the above reasons.

Sounds like the OP might be surrounded by people who are very concerned about their status, or maybe OP isn't working in such a place and is being hounded by family/friends. Either way, it's a waste of time and energy to concern oneself with such.

One way out is to work third shift in some job. You never see anyone in charge, no one else wants to do it, you don't have to dress well, and it's obvious you are not ambitious, nor are the people around you ambitious unless they are working third shift to go to more school.

I have always been more interested in how someone things and acts than what they do for a living or how they look. I'm told I'm in the minority there.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,449,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Maybe I'm just weird but I don't understand why a majority of people act like a job is your life.

No, I don't care if you work 55 hours a week and I don't; please don't expect me to work like a dog simply because you sold your soul to some Sugar-Daddy employer.

No, I don't care if I climb the corporate ladder; ladder climbing can hurt like a ***** when you fall off it (especially if you're on the top or near it).

No, I don't care about the workplace politics. I don't care about what drama the CEO had this week at the meeting...and no, I don't care whether he hates my guts or not.

No, I don't care if everyone else at the company hates me as well. **** them. Most of them are complete morons anyways.

No, I don't care our stock goes to hell. Most stocks nowadays aren't worth toilet paper. I've always lived the cheap life so it's just a breather if you lay me off due to the economy collapsing (as it does every other year).

No, I don't care about all the 'employee empowerment' and 'team building' exercises you try to put me through. Everyone knows it's brainwashing. And take down those Motivational posters too before I throw **** at them.

No, I don't care if I am working the same job 5 - 10 years in a row. If I am happy where I am at, there's no need for me to stress out.

No, I don't care if you think my workload is too easy or not. WHy should I do your work and someone else's?

No, I don't care that you drive some Honda/BMW/Lexus thing to work. You look like a clown driving it.

No, I don't care that you think I'm not a leader. If you want a leader, go look for Optimus Prime (or Megatron depending on your demeanor.)

No, I don't care that you had a baby and you're bringing pictures and videos of your Hellspawn to work. Do us a favor and jump down the elevator shaft.

No, I don't care if your work clothes are the latest in Yuppie wear. You don't look sophisticated or smart, you look like Dilbert in drag and 100 lbs heavier (and your head reminds me of a Jack O Lantern)

No, I don't care for your wierd music you play in the office. That **** makes me want to hang myself, I'd rather listen to my sister's bunga bunga rap music instead of that.

No, I don't care if you think I say "I don't care if" too many times.

And no, I do NOT care for your Three-Mile-Island biochemical disaster that you call a potluck. If I were an inspector I'd have the building condemned just for THAT.

Live free or Die!
Just gave you a "2 thumbs up" rep post - I sure do like your style!

Posts like yours sure makes me thankful that I'll never work at a job for the rest of my days - I could hit myself for considering otherwise, even for a minute.

Mucho gracias.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 AM

129 posts, read 154,145 times
There are some very valid points in the OP, especially the upper portion.

Most of the workplaces, which are corporations, only call for a specific type of personality, requiring a limited set of skills at work. In many cases, it's demoralizing not to be able to live as a whole person. At work, we are more often like a robot made for a particular use. In this context, I understand the OP's deep rooted frustration.

Big corps today have an up-or-out policy. That policy urges people to blindly charge ahead with a survival mentality. This means we constantly live in danger and instability. Nowhere near where we are meant to be - self realization and contentment.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM

1,859 posts, read 1,559,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Just gave you a "2 thumbs up" rep post - I sure do like your style!

Posts like yours sure makes me thankful that I'll never work at a job for the rest of my days - I could hit myself for considering otherwise, even for a minute.

Mucho gracias.
Most people don't have the luxury.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM

17,030 posts, read 14,571,193 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm just weird but I don't understand why a majority of people act like a job is your life.

No, I don't care if you work 55 hours a week and I don't; please don't expect me to work like a dog simply because you sold your soul to some Sugar-Daddy employer.

No, I don't care if I climb the corporate ladder; ladder climbing can hurt like a ***** when you fall off it (especially if you're on the top or near it).

No, I don't care about the workplace politics. I don't care about what drama the CEO had this week at the meeting...and no, I don't care whether he hates my guts or not.

No, I don't care if everyone else at the company hates me as well. **** them. Most of them are complete morons anyways.

No, I don't care our stock goes to hell. Most stocks nowadays aren't worth toilet paper. I've always lived the cheap life so it's just a breather if you lay me off due to the economy collapsing (as it does every other year).

No, I don't care about all the 'employee empowerment' and 'team building' exercises you try to put me through. Everyone knows it's brainwashing. And take down those Motivational posters too before I throw **** at them.

No, I don't care if I am working the same job 5 - 10 years in a row. If I am happy where I am at, there's no need for me to stress out.

No, I don't care if you think my workload is too easy or not. WHy should I do your work and someone else's?

No, I don't care that you drive some Honda/BMW/Lexus thing to work. You look like a clown driving it.

No, I don't care that you think I'm not a leader. If you want a leader, go look for Optimus Prime (or Megatron depending on your demeanor.)

No, I don't care that you had a baby and you're bringing pictures and videos of your Hellspawn to work. Do us a favor and jump down the elevator shaft.

No, I don't care if your work clothes are the latest in Yuppie wear. You don't look sophisticated or smart, you look like Dilbert in drag and 100 lbs heavier (and your head reminds me of a Jack O Lantern)

No, I don't care for your wierd music you play in the office. That **** makes me want to hang myself, I'd rather listen to my sister's bunga bunga rap music instead of that.

And no, I do NOT care for your Three-Mile-Island biochemical disaster that you call a potluck. If I were an inspector I'd have the building condemned just for THAT.

Live free or Die!
Well, the last one made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Level Internetting View Post
A job isn't the only thing that matters in life.

But money basically is. So if you aren't intelligent enough to figure out a way to get scratch on your own, well...enjoy ramen noodles and limited life experiences.
this. ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But money is in virtually unlimited supply. Time is what is really limited...
Really? How can I get me some of that?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 AM

13,760 posts, read 4,036,339 times
Quote:

Live free or Die!
Being frustrated is one thing. Responding to it by having a MASSIVE, hateful chip on your shoulder and thinking you have it all figured out won't help and is a very adolescent mindset.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,449,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Being frustrated is one thing. Responding to it by having a MASSIVE, hateful chip on your shoulder and thinking you have it all figured out won't help and is a very adolescent mindset.

And your problem is....?

What I don't understand why so many people around here are so judgmental of other people's feelings and emotions, regardless of the topic. If you don't agree with what someone is saying, what is it to you that they express themselves on this board? I mean, isn't that what forums are for - to express our viewpoint on various topics?

Know what I think? I think some of you are afraid that there will be so many people like the OP influencing the general way of thinking in this country that eventually this will be reflected in our democratically elected government, which wouldn't be so hot for those of whom who've "made it" in our hyper-competitive society. Know what I say to that? Too damn bad - life just isn't fair. Learn to deal with it....lol.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 AM

1,790 posts, read 937,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Brilliant post - Many Corporate people are just are not aware of how boring they are to other people,- they live in a very self obsessed world and just can't see that their not actually that important outside the office. You would think listening to them that the entire universe would end if they had a sick day, droning on and on about the latest politics etc - When for the majority of their working lives its sitting at a desk and attending meetings.

I have seen managers leave their jobs, and no one replace them for months and it made little or no the people below, in fact they just got on with the job without distraction. Many positions are just overheads that add little or no value to the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Totally agree with the OP. People are so brainwashed in this country...just look at some of the responses right here..."55 hours a week is a lot to you? Wow"...BRAINWASHED that 55 hours a week is normal. Hello? What happened to 40 hours a week being normal? That's even too much to be working for some idiot that doesn't give a rat's *** about you, just what you can do to put more money in his pocket. Somewhere or another we got the idea in this country that work is the be all end all of life itself. It's disgusting, repulsive, appalling, and any other synonym you want to add.

Maybe I'm a hippie at heart but I completely agree with everything you said. So not everyone is against you OP.
And as little in yours as he/she has too.

It really tickles me (in my older age - it used to really pi** me off) at the people that still try to push the 'you must work hard' to get anywhere mentality. What a bunch of crap. You can work as hard as you like. If your not an a** kisser (and very good at it) hard work plays no role in 'getting anywhere'.

People have really lost touch in this highly superficial age of 'keeping up with the Jones's'. I definitely will not be on my death bed thinking... "Man, I didn't kiss enough a** or work enough hours."

And just for the record... I've been in the 'on the record' work force, 27 years. I started doing odd jobs in my hometown at about the age of 10. I'm 42 now.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 AM

17,579 posts, read 21,238,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I mean, isn't that what forums are for - to express our viewpoint on various topics?
Sounds like that is exactly what the person you quoted was doing.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 AM

28,157 posts, read 24,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Totally agree with the OP. People are so brainwashed in this country...just look at some of the responses right here..."55 hours a week is a lot to you? Wow"...BRAINWASHED that 55 hours a week is normal. Hello? What happened to 40 hours a week being normal? That's even too much to be working for some idiot that doesn't give a rat's *** about you, just what you can do to put more money in his pocket. Somewhere or another we got the idea in this country that work is the be all end all of life itself. It's disgusting, repulsive, appalling, and any other synonym you want to add.

Maybe I'm a hippie at heart but I completely agree with everything you said. So not everyone is against you OP.
40 hours a week was never 'normal.' It was a deal made between folks and companies in the recent past.

And my only message is this. If you want to do the bare minimum, then you just shut up and be satisfied getting the bare minimum in return. The rest of us have other goals. And we don't want to hear other people bemoaning the fact that we are doing so much better. This attitude totally spills over into the class wars, so don't tell me it doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment