Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,151 times

Advertisements

I can't believe some of the responses this woman has gotten. I've been in management for most of my adult life and it is RIDICULOUS that 'everyone has to have the same rules'. If someone is a good worker, I couldn't care less what schedule they work and anyone that complains about it- well that's an indictment on them.

To the OP, yes your employer can do this. BUT they are being heartless, unreasonable, and heavy handed for doing it (assuming you are doing your job, if you are struggling that would be a different story). I wish you luck with your child and I hope you resolve the situation. If this were me I'd publish the companies name all over the internet and make it hurt for them financially. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't like seeing companies act this way towards their employees.

dys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 03:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I can't believe some of the responses this woman has gotten. I've been in management for most of my adult life and it is RIDICULOUS that 'everyone has to have the same rules'. If someone is a good worker, I couldn't care less what schedule they work and anyone that complains about it- well that's an indictment on them.

To the OP, yes your employer can do this. BUT they are being heartless, unreasonable, and heavy handed for doing it (assuming you are doing your job, if you are struggling that would be a different story). I wish you luck with your child and I hope you resolve the situation. If this were me I'd publish the companies name all over the internet and make it hurt for them financially. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that doesn't like seeing companies act this way towards their employees.

dys
An employer can manage how they see fit. The OP hasn't provided enough information to say whether the employer is being heartless and unreasonable here. You're jumping to quite a conclusion there. We don't really know the circumstances here. The employer seems to be reasonable based on the fact that they have been accommodating her schedule up until this point.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
I. If someone is a good worker, I couldn't care less what schedule they work and anyone that complains about it- well that's an indictment on them.

If one is EXCEPTIONAL, different treatment is NOT discriminatory. Otherwise, pandering to their needs is treating other good employees as if they were inferior, a sign of a poor manager.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If one is EXCEPTIONAL, different treatment is NOT discriminatory. Otherwise, pandering to their needs is treating other good employees as if they were inferior, a sign of a poor manager.
Going out on a limb here to say that, if the OP was one of those aforementioned "exceptional" employees, likely she would never have found herself in the "work this schedule or go to part time" situation.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:21 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,389,968 times
Quote:

dys
Oh give me a break. That is one of the best examples, EVER, of "I am on the internet and no one knows who I am" so I can say things I know are stupid to cause a fight.

As for splashing their name all over the place, what kind of idiot thinks that actually does anything? Walmart is known for being a nightmare, yet they are still the biggest employer. Profits are still up and their parking lots and stores are full of shoppers.

That said, if OP wants to tell us the name of the employer that actually makes sure to treat all employees equally, I may make a point to shop WITH them.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 22,542 times
I believe that management decided to allow me the schedule I need for the reason that I am a very good worker. I have not called out sick nor requested a day off (besides my regular schedule) in over a year. I haven't had a single complaint from a client or co-worker (besides my schedule) and I do my job very well. These people, on the other hand, have each had at least a couple of complaints from clients, and have requested extra days off, and called out sick I don't know how many times, I'm not keeping track. Also they've been with the company 2 years and less, I've been there 7years. Believe me, the first 5 and a half years I never asked for a set schedule, never had to. I never thought I should be treated better than anyone, I just wanted understanding. When and if these people ever have a reason to need a set schedule they should have a right to one as well.
As unexpectedly unpleasant as this was, thanks to everyone for the input. Special thanks to those of you that were understanding and kind.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
This is nonsense. For the vast majority of employees, it doesn't cost the company one nickel to change the employees schedule. If the job is to open the office, or meet with a client at a certain time, or something of the like, that's different...but if the excuse is just "everyone else works this schedule so you have to do it, too" that is a **** poor justification for effectively firing this woman.

And again, the disclaimer is that this is only true if she is good at what she does and she is a profitable employee.

dys

Old 07-01-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
An employer can manage how they see fit. The OP hasn't provided enough information to say whether the employer is being heartless and unreasonable here. You're jumping to quite a conclusion there. We don't really know the circumstances here. The employer seems to be reasonable based on the fact that they have been accommodating her schedule up until this point.
I don't see it that way at all. For most employees and in most situations, using the word 'accomadating' is a loaded term. It doesn't harm the company one bit to 'accomodate' so I don't give the company points for doing it. I also don't believe, at least from a moral perspective, that 'an employer can manage how they see fit'. That's just not right if they are harming people unnecessarily.

dys

Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
This is nonsense. For the vast majority of employees, it doesn't cost the company one nickel to change the employees schedule. If the job is to open the office, or meet with a client at a certain time, or something of the like, that's different...but if the excuse is just "everyone else works this schedule so you have to do it, too" that is a **** poor justification for effectively firing this woman.

And again, the disclaimer is that this is only true if she is good at what she does and she is a profitable employee.

dys
Read HER posts. She meets clients obviously, so it is the clients schedule that pays the bills, thus work schedules revolve around them.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM

9 posts, read 22,542 times
Actually I make the appointment times. I offer them times I'm available for them to come in and they choose....FROM THOSE TIMES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment