Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,937,892 times

Advertisements

I totally disagree with the congratulation email...that is simply ridiculous given the circumstances. If I were the big boss and got an email like this or even heard of an email like this, I would view it like it is: a cheap, transparent political attempt at engendering pity or admiration.

dys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,432,316 times
Well. You can't always be the rock star. In the working world - just like everywhere else, there is always someone smarter than you, better looking, or just willing to work longer hours. It is what it is.

You absolutely cannot let this destroy you. Continue working every day and don't make a big deal about it. Yes, I probably would start looking elsewhere if it really pi$$ed me off that much.

I agree with the poster who said at least it was given to someone who seems deserving - not just handed out to the boss's best buddy regardless of their work product.

But that rock star may or may not work out so well in his new position; time will tell. There were times in the past that I didn't get a position I wanted - only to have that benefit me later and in ways I wouldn't have imagined.

So keep your head up and your ears open.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,343,939 times
I empathize with how the OP feels -- but the COO has a duty to the company to put the best people in the best positions.

The OP admits that the junior analyst is a "genius" and is willing to work "incredible hours" -- while the OP isnt willing/able to put in such long hours.

If the OP were to look at this from an objective point of view, which employee would he select to be a senior analyst?

I think the fact that the OP's pay and title werent reduced is an indication that the company does value him, even if not so highly as the other analyst.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,175,845 times
Eh, I'd get out of there as quick as possible. Sounds like next round of layoffs, you are gone. The minute you fall even the slightest bit out of favor with any manager who has any amount of clout, and dont have a connection higher up the food chain to cover for that, you are done, and its better to voluntarily move on your own terms before you are trying to explain why you were randomly axed on your next interview.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,013,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Eh, I'd get out of there as quick as possible. Sounds like next round of layoffs, you are gone. The minute you fall even the slightest bit out of favor with any manager who has any amount of clout, and dont have a connection higher up the food chain to cover for that, you are done, and its better to voluntarily move on your own terms before you are trying to explain why you were randomly axed on your next interview.
Exactly.

Management does NOT care about your techanical abilities, soft skills, or eagerness to do the job. All they care about is finding people to fluff up their ego. Even if the "golden boy" in question was a completely useless clod who refused to do his job, if he's brown-nosed his way into management's good graces, he'll end up with your job and you'll end up out the door.

Now, don't stop doing a good job, but start looking around for another place to work. I can safely say based upon personal experience that being well-known as a skilled person with a solid work ethic means *nothing* when layoff time hits. The sycophants, brown-nosers, and lying sociopaths will keep their jobs while the good employees will be trashed. Every hour you spend working is an hour some twit spends sucking up to management - and who will be remembered when it's time to hand out pink slips?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,921,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Exactly.

Management does NOT care about your techanical abilities, soft skills, or eagerness to do the job. All they care about is finding people to fluff up their ego. Even if the "golden boy" in question was a completely useless clod who refused to do his job, if he's brown-nosed his way into management's good graces, he'll end up with your job and you'll end up out the door.

Now, don't stop doing a good job, but start looking around for another place to work. I can safely say based upon personal experience that being well-known as a skilled person with a solid work ethic means *nothing* when layoff time hits. The sycophants, brown-nosers, and lying sociopaths will keep their jobs while the good employees will be trashed. Every hour you spend working is an hour some twit spends sucking up to management - and who will be remembered when it's time to hand out pink slips?

Rambler, Yes we know you are bitter over your prior employer, but this guy was edged by a genius working 80 hours a week. That is 180 degrees away from your post' premise.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,013,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Rambler, Yes we know you are bitter over your prior employer, but this guy was edged by a genius working 80 hours a week. That is 180 degrees away from your post' premise.
Not really - the point still stands, as I stated. Once somebody has befriended management, their skills no longer matter. In this case, the guy who has befriended management IS skilled, which makes the situation even worse since he has the skill AND management likes him. That's why the OP is right to be concerned.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,921,681 times
Frankly, if they have to cut 30% of payroll, this guy being a hard working genius must be amongst the 70%. They need folks to turn the ship around. The big problem I saw from the OP's comments was his duties have been downsized, so his salary would now be out of sync with duties, with cuts coming.

That is why plan D buys him time to accomplish Plan B.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,718,410 times
As an update, I've decided to drop the "Golden Boy" moniker. I've decided to call him "El Jefe" (the boss in Spanish in case you don't speak it). That way I can still call him "boss", but it will take the sting off of having to say it in English.

Curiously he was sick today, so I did my old job that is his new job that he hasn't really started yet. If he has a weakness it's that he does call in sick with migraines a lot, and I don't wish ill on anyone (no pun intended).

I had a phone interview that went well this morning. There was one sticky point where they asked if I managed people. I couldn't very well say that I did until this Monday and then I was moved to the junior position, so I said I did. I struggled ethically with that one, but I'm not going to let my current employer, who will probably be letting me go, screw up my chances for a transition without having to be unemployed.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,605,538 times
Well my two cents..of course I would be pissed and angry..but I wouldn't let it bother me at work. Get pissed outside of work for about a day...do the pity party then look for another opportunity. Sh*t happens and we have all been there...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment