Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You think the additional money could have any bearing on their "attitude"?

It is more of the culture. Nordstrom is known as one of the best retail employers in the industry. They treat their employees well and hire people with solid backgrounds. Walmart does not. It is more about the culture of a company then it is anything else.

People think Nordstrom as upscale, good items and good customer service. Walmart is bottom of the barrel, terrible items and terrible customer service.

Nordstrom employees work on commission, so they have to be nice. If they are not they make base pay which is about 9.80 according to some blog I just read.

"IT varies because it is mostly commission based. You can earn more than base pay, but you won't get your base pay. for example, when I worked there I made a percentage of each sale and so long as that percentage was equal to or greater than 9.80 I would get the commission, but if it was less then I would get 9.80/hr. It all depends on where you live, how much experience you have, and what department you work at. The percentage varies depending on what you are selling because you can't have the same percentage for a $20 kids shirt and for a $1,000 purse it isn't fair. You also have to take into consideration that when an item is returned it will be taken out of your pay regardless of when it was returned or where, unless you don't work there anymore. It is hard to know how much you will earn in any given week especially if there are last minute returns or if something is sold under your number or taken away from your number, etc. It's kind of complicated, but easy if you keep very close track of your numbers, which means checking daily and asking your manager for updated numbers and also keeping close contact with your customer and your merchandise that belongs to your customer. All in all, to make the most money you try to sell as many of the most expensive thing possible and make sure that your customer never returns it. My paycheck varied from 1000 to 250 a week![LEFT]
Read more: How much does nordstrom employees make"
[/LEFT]

So comparing the two is not really logical. To make accurate comparisons you would need to compare Walmart with Dollar Store, Big Lots, Aldis I would guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Ah HA! Thank you for making the point. Wal-Mart customers can expect the bare minimum. However, have you ever been to Nordstroms? Their employees deliver some of the best customer service I've ever seen. They are extremely polite, friendly and helpful and make a LOT more money than a Wal-Mart cashier.

It's almost like a metaphor for you people with a sullen attitude committed to only giving the bare minimum to your job. You are the people of Wal-Mart and unless you change your attitude, you always will be.
Thanks for mentioning Nordstroms, which confirms MY point if anything..

Customers get what they pay for. It's human nature. People would be more than willing to go the extra mile for you if they feel it's worth it. You pay higher prices at Nordstroms, Nordstroms pays their employees better, the employees are willing to work harder.

And that goes back to the OP. employers get what they pay for. If they're only paying peanuts, they're only going to attract Monkeys. Just as employees aren't entitled to the perfect job, employers aren't entitled to the perfect employee.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Studies have actually shown that money is a very poor motivator, once a person has a roof over their head and food in their stomach.
What you fail to understand is there's an equilibrium to be met between money and happiness.

Of course if a person's basic needs are met without a problem, money beyond that point wouldn't be a motivator.

But what about the person making minimum wage who can't even afford a 1-bedroom apartment in any of the fifty states?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Studies have actually shown that money is a very poor motivator, once a person has a roof over their head and food in their stomach. The best motivator is the idea that you are a part of a high quality and successful team. Giving a feeling of importance to your employees will motivate them far more than a higher paycheck (from a human behavior point of view).

So, the point at which people have a roof over their head and food in their stomach is $9.80 an hour?

Money becomes less of a concern when you are talking about very high 5 digits at minimum. Before that point, money is absolutely a motivator, and that is where most of us are sitting.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
What you fail to understand is there's an equilibrium to be met between money and happiness.

Of course if a person's basic needs are met without a problem, money beyond that point wouldn't be a motivator.

But what about the person making minimum wage who can't even afford a 1-bedroom apartment in any of the fifty states?
I understand what you are saying, but from a psychological point of view, the person making minimum wage who firmly believe he/she is doing a really good thing with their life is more likely to keep that job than to switch to a job that "doesn't matter" for more money. That is obviously not the case for everyone, but for the vast majority of people, that is true.

Quote:
So, the point at which people have a roof over their head and food in their stomach is $9.80 an hour?

Money becomes less of a concern when you are talking about very high 5 digits at minimum. Before that point, money is absolutely a motivator, and that is where most of us are sitting.
The person who has their basic needs covered and makes $9.80 an hour would absolutely be more likely to stay with that job if they feel they are extremely important than to move to another job making more money where they feel like they are just anther cog in the machine.

The #1 most important thing in a person's life is the desire to feel important. Play to that desire and you can have a lot more control over other people.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
The person who has their basic needs covered and makes $9.80 an hour would absolutely be more likely to stay with that job if they feel they are extremely important than to move to another job making more money where they feel like they are just anther cog in the machine.

The #1 most important thing in a person's life is the desire to feel important. Play to that desire and you can have a lot more control over other people.

Eh, Id gladly jump to someplace I felt like I was just another cog in the machine if it met a few more bucks an hour. No questions asked.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Eh, Id gladly jump to someplace I felt like I was just another cog in the machine if it met a few more bucks an hour. No questions asked.
You have also said that you vindictively stick it to anyone who you worked with who you don't like. With all due respect, you seem to have a fairly cold attitude towards other people. There is nothing wrong with that, but you are somewhat atypical in your way of thinking.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Thanks for mentioning Nordstroms, which confirms MY point if anything..

Customers get what they pay for. It's human nature. People would be more than willing to go the extra mile for you if they feel it's worth it. You pay higher prices at Nordstroms, Nordstroms pays their employees better, the employees are willing to work harder.

And that goes back to the OP. employers get what they pay for. If they're only paying peanuts, they're only going to attract Monkeys. Just as employees aren't entitled to the perfect job, employers aren't entitled to the perfect employee.
But you can't just roll out of bed after graduating high school and decide to get a job at Nordstroms. You have to have a proven track record. If you showed a poor attitude at Wal-Mart, there is no reason they will want to hire you at Nordstrom's. THAT'S why you bust your a$$ at that crummy job.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
You have also said that you vindictively stick it to anyone who you worked with who you don't like. With all due respect, you seem to have a fairly cold attitude towards other people. There is nothing wrong with that, but you are somewhat atypical in your way of thinking.
I did not say Id vindictively stick it to anyone "I didnt like". I said Id stick it to anyone who did me wrong. I can not like someone, and their actions still have no real impact on my life. On the other hand, some pricks who decided to get rid of me without warning, without regard for my life situation, and while smiling to my face, yeah, if I ever get a chance to get even with them, I will.

Last edited by Randomdude; 07-06-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I did not say Id vindictively stick it to anyone "I didnt like". I said Id stick it to anyone who did me wrong. I can not like someone, and there actions still have no real impact on my life. On the other hand, some pricks who decided to get rid of me without warning, without regard for my life situation, and while smiling to my face, yeah, if I ever get a chance to get even with them, I will.
You need to work on your anger issues. This is not normal thinking. Your attitude is as bad as the Enron people who were willing to screw someone over just to make an extra dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment