Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM

994 posts, read 1,591,503 times

Advertisements

I myself wouldn't beat up on the OP. Even the best hiring managers end up with someone who isn't going to show up for work or does a bad job. No one can be 100% of who is a good employee and who isn't. Anyone that pretends to obviously hasn't worked as a hiring manager. With that being said, I'd let those people who are consistent no shows go. It's one thing if you call out sick once or twice a year. It's another if it happens once or twice a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:52 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,482,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Whatever. Complain all you want about the lack of work ethics. If YOU aren't doing anything to implement change in your organizations then I frankly don't see a point.

Instead of the OP talking to the employees, he is just going to let them go. If he thinks they are good employees then he would find out if they could make adjustments to ensure that they arrive on time and let them know the repercussions to their actions. What about warnings? Are those not given anymore.

I guess just mental notes kept in the OPs head. Who knows?

Obviously he doesn't feel they are good employees if he is so quick to let them go. So, that didn't come across during the interview?

I do, I put them on corrective action. I also help manage them out. Sometimes it is a bad fit, so I actually work their IDP towards how they can help us while helping themselves by having a more robust resume. We even share job openings in other companies in the area that certain people may be interested in.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,957,202 times
Quote:
Instead of the OP talking to the employees, he is just going to let them go. If he thinks they are good employees then he would find out if they could make adjustments to ensure that they arrive on time and let them know the repercussions to their actions. What about warnings? Are those not given anymore.
He should let them go. Warnings are redundent during probation. If one fails to do the basics (show up on time SEVERAL times), one is let go near the end of probation.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 AM

97 posts, read 320,562 times
This thread reminds me of how I once read that Manager is the most thankless job at Mcdonalds. Because the Mcworkers just want a check, the Mcboss just wants profits and you're caught in the middle. I don't know what type of business the OP manages, but it does seem like something with low hourly pay, and that he's been bitten by the "entitlement" mentality of some employees today.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,957,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc138 View Post
This thread reminds me of how I once read that Manager is the most thankless job at Mcdonalds. Because the Mcworkers just want a check, the Mcboss just wants profits and you're caught in the middle. I don't know what type of business the OP manages, but it does seem like something with low hourly pay, and that he's been bitten by the "entitlement" mentality of some employees today.

Perhaps the sweet spot is to hire McWorkers who have been fired once or twice. Since they most likely have no or little savings, it should not take many McFirings for them to comprehend why they should see the light.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM

570 posts, read 1,728,924 times
depends on what kind of job. In my field(software engineer), everybody goes to work late. Nobody really care as long as you finish you job. We don't really have opinion. we can't fire them because where is shortage of top engineers out there.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:24 PM

40 posts, read 142,074 times
How much pay, what the job is for, and the background of the hired employees is the biggest pieces of information for us to judge the situation.

You just don't hire 10 year experienced MBAs for 65K/year and expect them to come to work all gung-ho.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:34 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,272,915 times
Perhaps I misjudged. See, I was under the impression that coming to work on time and doing your job was the bare minimum. If the employee does that, they are given a paycheck. Maybe I've had it wrong all these years.

If an applicant finds out that the pay is not enough for him to perform the basic duties of the job, why take it?

And the attitude of some people here is exactly why companies deem applicants "overqualified" for many positions.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 07-04-2012, 03:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,311,892 times
Quote:
I am only 26. .
Oh.
Now I get it.
Millennial strikes again.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:49 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,117,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, when I worked minimum wage ($4.25), I didn't use that as an excuse to be a lazy slacker.
It's called a work ethic.
Showing up a bit early and being prepared right from the start time is a good thing. it goes a long way being reliable in addition to performing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment