Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 AM

12,076 posts, read 23,189,033 times

Advertisements

If you make more than the peasants, why are you asking the peasants for advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
Default move on up

while it is great you have work at 16 dollars an hour, you should look to earn more through you building experience in your chosen field. Positive long term work history builds experience and that makes you attractive to other employers, or if you like where you are asking for more resposability and how you can use your skills to contribute should help you move up. The key is looking to earn more so you may have a comfortable life for yourself (you didnt state if you have kids or dependents.) always strive to learn and grow and become a valuble expert in your chosen industry. You work hard right? Well be rewarded for your efforts! Stand out from the crowd and smoke your competition. In my experience many employees just slog through things and feel no progress-key is going after what you WANT. Any one can complain. Not many will charge forward to break barriers.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times
Troll...

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Troll...

$16/hr is more than most of us??? Whatever helps ya sleep at night I guess

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM

97 posts, read 320,194 times
Let's look at it like this. 1 out of 4 Americans work a job that pays 10 an hour or less. I make 10 an hour at age 22 and that comfortably pays my expenses as a single person with little debt(I have a car payment of $122 a month). What I also do however is look for ways to make my money work for me. I have $1000.00 set aside to buy 2 boxes of Half Dollars a few times per week and search for Silver. Today I made more looking for Silver after work than I did the entire day at work. I am also anxiously engaged in trying to make a solid income trading stocks. I currently hold 599 shares of a certain stock that I bought at an average price of $12 a share in early May. It closed today at $15.45 a share and is expected to go way higher as we go into the Olympics and as they report 2Q 2012 results shortly before the Olympics.

My point is to set aside some extra money and look for ways to make it work for you. If you can find a good enough investment vehicle and continuously reinvest your profits as opposed to blowing it all on a fancy car or something like that, you can set up an ever increasing "snowball" of money that could one day make that $16 an hour look like chump change.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc138 View Post
Let's look at it like this. 1 out of 4 Americans work a job that pays 10 an hour or less.
And how did you arrive at this figure? If this is true, we are all in trouble.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,166,229 times
I'm pretty sure this is a troll thread.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 PM

23 posts, read 43,737 times
Not a troll thread at all. I'm just saying wherever I go, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels etc, and based off the conversations members I am making more money per hour. I also get a bonus every quarter and I just have a car note. I know complacency isn't good, but it feels like I am making more money than the folks I come in contact with on a daily basis. Money isn't everything anyway, but for what I do and compared to what some teachers have to go through...maybe we have to give capitalism a second look. The poster is right 1 out of 4 Americans make 10 hr or less. You see lines to work in an automobile factory for only $15 hr. I could go on and on.

A better question to ask is "would you work in any type of field (fast food, manual labor) for $16 hr?". Maybe some of you won't but I know the majority of Americans would do it in a heart beat, for extra cash, experience or whatever. You have to admit 16 dollars an hour isn't bad right?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,065,671 times
Liking your job is a great thing. And there's no reason to step away from your job if is fulfilling and supports your lifestyle in the present and the future.

I would work backwards. See what you want to accomplish in life. Do you want to own a home one day? Do you want to have a family? Do you want to travel, retire, etc? Whatever it is... figure out what it will take to afford that kind of lifestyle. If the numbers work at your current rate, then you're golden.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJones2 View Post
Not a troll thread at all. I'm just saying wherever I go, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels etc, and based off the conversations members I am making more money per hour. I also get a bonus every quarter and I just have a car note. I know complacency isn't good, but it feels like I am making more money than the folks I come in contact with on a daily basis. Money isn't everything anyway, but for what I do and compared to what some teachers have to go through...maybe we have to give capitalism a second look. The poster is right 1 out of 4 Americans make 10 hr or less. You see lines to work in an automobile factory for only $15 hr. I could go on and on.

A better question to ask is "would you work in any type of field (fast food, manual labor) for $16 hr?". Maybe some of you won't but I know the majority of Americans would do it in a heart beat, for extra cash, experience or whatever. You have to admit 16 dollars an hour isn't bad right?
This IS a troll thread, whether you realize it or not. $16/hr ain't anything special. I was making that out of high school. I didn't go around telling folks how well I was doing. Buy a nice car and let it do the talking for you like everyone else. You will come across much less arrogant, and it would benefit this economy much more than your pointless bragging. And don't get too used to it. Layoffs are extremely common these days. If you're so well paid, you better hope you are able to contribute enough to make it worthwhile for your employer to keep you around. Better save, cause it's hard to pay a car note without income or savings.

You have to understand something... Many of the folks on this forum are struggling, not making much, collecting unemployment, or worse. This is an employment subforum, and the employment situation in this country sucks for many. Do you really think people want to hear about how you are making more than them? How exactly did you think this thread was going to be viewed by those who ARE making less? And guess what... I make more than you and don't think it's anything special. In fact, I have no debt to worry about. Again, nothing special. I'm doing ok, and thankful for that. I don't let it go to my head though. Life would suck if I lost my job next week, and that's something I think about quite often. Jobs that pay $16/hr or whatever don't just grow on trees. You may have to settle for less down the line if push came to shove.

And forget about those lines of people waiting for $15/hr auto jobs. I've seen people lining up for minimum wage dishwashing jobs. I'm talking lines wrapped around the place. That should serve as evidence as to how fragile your current situation is. I went from $16/hr in 2007 to $11/hr the next year. Glad I rebounded, but that was scary. Welcome to the real world. Don't get too cocky, and don't expect good things to last. It's nice when they do, but that's not always the way the cookie crumbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment