Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:57 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Oh please!! Stop perpetuating the healthcare myth! Many places are short staffing, laying off, you name it. There are staffing firms that won't even place healthcare workers now.

It's like some mantra drummed into the public. Well, get this mantra...Too many people got shown the way to healthcare. Jobs in healthcare are NOT based on kids getting in skateboard accidents. Even nonprofit hospitals have upper management trying to keep the money at the top.

I overheard some nurses today talking about friends of theirs with nursing degrees who are unable to find jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,919,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Its also always firing.
Most people who start businesses have no business starting them (hence the reason they fail). However, if you're one of the few who actually has what it takes and you can afford to take a risk, it's best to go that route.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 PM

547 posts, read 939,445 times
People who cut hair. Most people need a haircut every few weeks to maybe once a month, depending on how fast your hair grows. It's one job that isn't going to go away.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM

326 posts, read 949,644 times
Bars/Pubs/Taverns etc. I'm not kidding.
When times are good people drink to celebrate.
In bad times they drink to drown their sorrows.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
When you guys find that perfect career that offers 100% job security, be sure to let me know.

I chased the nursing fad for awhile. The classes ahead of me were having a terrible time finding jobs. I left. The class I would have graduated with all told me the same story. Some were lucky to find nurse tech or PCT jobs. Nursing jobs though??? Not so much luck. Starting pay for the few that found something was not impressive, but I think they will have good opportunities down the line. A recent report I read stated that in 2011, the hardest hit professions with regards to wages were nursing, accounting, and the other I can't recall.

I see too many people chasing too few jobs. Many are going for those "golden tickets". That is, the job that one does not have to worry about job security. In this economy, they simply don't exist. Hospitals do mass layoffs like every other sector these days.

What people NEED to be asking... If I had only a few thousand in the bank, what would I still be spending money on??? Answer that for yourself, and think what type of sector that few thousand might be finding it's way to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
People who cut hair. Most people need a haircut every few weeks to maybe once a month, depending on how fast your hair grows. It's one job that isn't going to go away.
My Wahl trimmers cost me about $20. Pretty much eliminated any need I had for a barber. And I can feel good about it too... They were made in the good ol U.S.A American's helping Americans

Old 07-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Most people who start businesses have no business starting them (hence the reason they fail). However, if you're one of the few who actually has what it takes and you can afford to take a risk, it's best to go that route.
I had a friend that tried this. Actually, she purchased a business. And I'll admit, she had NO getting into it. 3 kids, struggling to pay mortgage, husband working infrequently, and she had part time work. We all knew it wouldn't work out. We all saw the signs that it wasn't a good deal for her. I give her an awful lot of credit for trying to improve her struggling plot in life, but starting or buying a business is just not for everyone.

At any rate, after the first 4 expensive, and disappointing months, she realized she was way in over her head. I think she managed to sell it for right around what she paid, but she lost quite a bit of money in expenses that she most certainly couldn't afford to loose. Live and learn. Some lessons are more expensive than others.

And might I emphasis... Business today is VERY cutthroat. Your walking into the slaughterhouse trying to compete with the big boys in some sectors. It isn't always that simple to "just start your own business".... Which is why I laugh when you see those stupid one liners from posters blaming everyone for their struggle with the response, "people need to just start their own business"...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
I would think anything medical (doctor, dentist, nurse)...hair stylists, transportation, military, road workers, pest control, plumbing. My list could go on, but I'll stop on that note.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Yep, and even unemployed people need haircuts for job interviews. That seems like it'd be a very stable industry, particularly the low end salons like Great Clips, Cost Cutters, and Fantastic Sam's. The stylists that might suffer during a down economy would probably be at the higher end places that do all the fancy stuff with the hair. That's not really a need, more of a luxury.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
The Gas Company and Electric Company

Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Gas Company and Electric Company
Weren't you bragging to us about how your job was recession proof a year ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment